Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Master
Yes... As some of us have said there are meditative practices for developing energy flows or healing abilities or intellect, and so on

Then there is 'true meditation' for absorbing our awareness in the silent essence of being.

Xan

Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM
DulcePoetica

I think just like cleaning clutter off the hard drive improves the processor speed of a computer, clearing out mental and emotional clutter through meditation can increase the processor speed of the mind.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 PM
mattie

Many Think So

Many think meditation increases IQ.

5,870,000 Google results for ‘meditation increase iq.’-
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

In ‘Becoming Enlightened,’ pg. 31-34, the Dalai Lama discusses the 2 types of meditation. One that involves analysis & really thinking about an issue & the other type that focuses the mind on an object w/o any analysis. ‘Analytical meditation is crucial. It is not sufficient just to promise to transform your mind or to wish to do so; that alone will not succeed.’ One needs to think about issues from all sides.

In Indian thought & Buddhism belief is based on analytical conclusions. ‘An analytical attitude is important at the beginning, middle, and even the end of the spiritual path, since for wisdom to fully mature in Buddhahood you need from the outset to enthusiastically investigate the nature of things and to develop this attitude more and more.’ ‘By reasoning rather than just fixing your mind on a topic you form valid cognition, and through its force erroneous attitudes gradually unravel.’

In ‘How To See YOURSELF As You Really Are,’ pg. 87-89, the Dalai Lama discusses analyzing more. ‘In all areas of thought you need to be able to analyze, and then, when you have come to a decision, you need to be able to set your mind to it without wavering. These two capacities- to analyze and to remain focused- are essential to seeing yourself as you really are. In all areas of spirituality you need both analysis and focus to achieve the states you are seeking.’ All types of mediation are either analytical or insight meditation or focusing or calm abiding meditation. A scattered mind is very powerless as we need clear & stable concentration. We need both types of meditation.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Master
I would have to say that meditation does affect the IQ though I'd also say that most measurements of IQ involve problem solving.

I'd say then that by meditating we remove problems so basically there are less problems to solve so the IQ goes up.

So it's not that the ability to solve problems that goes up but that we are able to remove the problems and as a fraction, IQ, it's basically no different if you change the top number or the bottom number.

Also I think theres the question of insight where meditation removes the clutter and makes one more open to answers coming from within. That also raises the intelligence, to the outside method of measurement, and does it really matter where solutions come from?

My favourite way of solving problems is to formulate the problem then forget about it and do something else. Within minutes, hours or days the solution then pops into my head often fully solved. But if only partially solved, and this can occur, I just do it again.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Master
I'd say then that by meditating we remove problems so basically there are less problems to solve so the IQ goes up.

Excellent!

Xan