Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 20-02-2021, 12:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriah
Is it true? Does everything really change?
So what was good will eventually become bad?
Do we hold on as tightly as we can to something that matters to us only for it to become completely wrong at some point?
If so, do we assume it'll become good again one day and hold on purely out of nostalgia fueled hope?
Should we embrace what appears to stay the same as the closest to truth we've got?
Yes, all 'things' change. FYI accepting this (impermanence) is one of the foundations of Buddhism.
You are incorrectly limiting change to oscillating between polar opposites.
Think about how your body changes. It ages, ceases to function, gets recycled in the biosphere. Though it might become part of new bodies, it doesn't revert back to being the young version of itself.

Even the notions of 'good and bad', 'right and wrong', things mattering, nostalgia, and hope will change.
Old 20-02-2021, 11:19 PM
Knower
"Everything" is a risky and mysterious word, in my view.

* It's got 2 meanings: everything-as-a-unified-whole, and the collection-of-all-individual-things. Which one is intended?

* "Everything" runs the risk of the paradox of self-reference. Eg a blanket statement like 'everything changes' includes the statement itself, so the law of change must itself change! . Whatever is true now must therefore become not true at some point in the future, if you take it totally literally. Including the conclusion I've just reached! How can this recurring paradox be resolved? I do love a good paradox!

* Change implies a reference to time. So we need to clarify our theory of time too.

I came across the belief in impermanence via Buddhism too. I've come to believe that a lot of religion is communicated in a kind of shorthand. Checking the sources, Buddhism doesn't say 'everything is impermanent', it says 'all conditioned phenomena are impermanent', ie those phenomena dependent on other phenomena through a causal relationship. You need to bring in time and cause-and-effect - big philosophical themes. The unconditioned may therefore not be impermanent, but what is the unconditioned? I'm still working on that, but I'd associate it with Nirvana, a state of mind unattached to individual things, but one with the whole, ie 'everything-as-a-unified-whole'.
Old 21-02-2021, 04:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl

* Change implies a reference to time. So we need to clarify our theory of time too.
It is true that word implies time. I'm not sure what the correct word for alteration outside of time is.
In any case, that outside of time gets altered too. In fact the creation of time (within the bounds of certain universes) IS one of those alterations.

Even within the bounds of time most things don't change because of time, rather time regulates how the alteration of things occurs. Forces of nature and some would argue consciousness cause change with in the bounds of time.
Old 21-02-2021, 04:24 AM
Master

Can have change in the same moment of time? Surely, between probable universes!
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 21-02-2021, 10:19 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
That makes sense.
Getting to the root of the issue always works for me - and that's me too.
Old 22-02-2021, 02:24 AM
Master
It is also a matter of perception. On the hard, solid physical level, things seem to change slowly or last longer, whereas a more sensitive perception reveals the subtler aspects of things are changing more quickly.
Old 22-02-2021, 02:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl
"Everything" is a risky and mysterious word, in my view.

* It's got 2 meanings: everything-as-a-unified-whole, and the collection-of-all-individual-things. Which one is intended?

* "Everything" runs the risk of the paradox of self-reference. Eg a blanket statement like 'everything changes' includes the statement itself, so the law of change must itself change! . Whatever is true now must therefore become not true at some point in the future, if you take it totally literally. Including the conclusion I've just reached! How can this recurring paradox be resolved? I do love a good paradox!

I came across the belief in impermanence via Buddhism too. I've come to believe that a lot of religion is communicated in a kind of shorthand. Checking the sources, Buddhism doesn't say 'everything is impermanent', it says 'all conditioned phenomena are impermanent', ie those phenomena dependent on other phenomena through a causal relationship. You need to bring in time and cause-and-effect - big philosophical themes. The unconditioned may therefore not be impermanent, but what is the unconditioned? I'm still working on that, but I'd associate it with Nirvana, a state of mind unattached to individual things, but one with the whole, ie 'everything-as-a-unified-whole'.
Time depends on the notion that there is an enduring substance which persists from one moment to the next. Hence, if we assume there is a lasting 'something' which changes, we assume the duration of time. If there is no enduring substance then the perception of change is momentary rather than enduring. I think the 'law of impermanence' is based the premise that there is no enduring substance.
Old 23-02-2021, 12:39 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Time depends on the notion that there is an enduring substance which persists from one moment to the next. Hence, if we assume there is a lasting 'something' which changes, we assume the duration of time. If there is no enduring substance then the perception of change is momentary rather than enduring. I think the 'law of impermanence' is based the premise that there is no enduring substance.

Assume being the operative word. We're brought up with a model of physical reality made of solid objects (nouns) and processes in time (verbs) as separate. It's tricky to disentangle my direct perception from this conceptual framework. I came across a talk by Alan Watts where he gives an example of a language without nouns, just verbs (I can't remember which language). I'm contemplating in terms of phenomena = process = space-time. Not time and things as separate, connected by a truth of impermanence, which seems negative, and giving me the idea of some kind of permanence in Nirvana. But, perhaps it's process all the way down.
Old 23-02-2021, 02:02 PM
What doesn't change?
Anyone wanna start a list?
Sure you could place U238 in a sealed, safe container ---but even that would take
1,000,000,000,000,000 years to change to half. How long would it take to change less than half?
I dunno...but it would still change, even if only .000001%.

Snowyowl, thank you for making your font larger.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-02-2021, 02:07 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
What doesn't change?
Anyone wanna start a list?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop? The world may never know!

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 23-02-2021 at 03:07 PM.