Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim
Yep, I agree you don't see it. I've been down this road before but thanks.

You don't want to clarify what you shared? I am asking nicely, I just am like the one who posted the question and am asking what it means that all???

I understand that verses 35 and 36 are also in Micah 7:6, is this what you are referring to?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Master
Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 AM
nightowl

From what I can find the called out ones refer to the NT church. I can understand where if someone were to choose to follow Jesus and they were from a Jewish family how that could effect a family. It still wouldn't justify leaving your family if they need you, at least not in my opinion. As for verse 35-36 in the above passage, a reference from Micah 7:6, in Micah, I believe the prophet is addressing the nation of Israel during a time of a terrible war. How does this apply to following Jesus?

It would seem to me that you would dishonor God by dishonoring your family if they were in need.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Master

The New Testament doesn't nullify the commandment of honor you father and mother. Ephesians 6:1-3 says,
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”

But in both the Old and New Testaments we are told that we must always put God first, ahead of any human relationship. One example of this is found in the relatioship between King Saul and his son Jonathan. Saul tried to kill David because he saw him as a threat to his power. But Jonathan knew that David had been chosen by God to succeed Saul so he thwarted Saul's attempts to kill David. This is the type of conflict Jesus said he would bring, that which results from one member of a family obeying God and another disobeying.

Yet in spite of the conflict Jonathan remained loyal to his father and died with him in their final battle against the Philistines.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Jakkie

Thanks for the responses guys :)

It seems to me that the general idea is what Theophilus said - that we are told to always put God ahead of anything in this world. But this seems to conflict strongly with the idea of treating everyone with the same love and respect that you would God...
Jesus says "Anyone who welcomes a child (of God?), welcomes me." But if we shun those who love us for a life devoted to God, doesnt that contradict itself?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 AM
HBuck72

I always find it interesting that the Old Testament is even in the Christian Canon. If you take the teachings of Jesus Literally, then he represented an entirely new spiritual movement, which largely did away with the customs and teachings of the old Jewish religion.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuck72
I always find it interesting that the Old Testament is even in the Christian Canon. If you take the teachings of Jesus Literally, then he represented an entirely new spiritual movement, which largely did away with the customs and teachings of the old Jewish religion.

I not sure I quite understand the last part of your statement. As far as I know Christianity didn't wipe out Judaism?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:52 AM
HBuck72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I not sure I quite understand the last part of your statement. As far as I know Christianity didn't wipe out Judaism?

Sorry, perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been. Judaism is still alive and well.

What I was referring to is that if you take the teachings of Jesus literally, he was teaching a different path than the path of Judaism. Instead of strict adherence to the religious dogma that surrounded Judaism during the time of Jesus, he taught a personal way to salvation, without following the numerous laws mandated by the Jewish Covenants with God.

The Old Testament was included in the Christian canon as a way to lend legitimacy to the new religion, by trying to show that it had a spiritual lineage, and wasn't something made up on the spot. The Old Testament was also used to show that Jesus was legitimate because he is said to have fulfilled the prophesies of the Old Testament.

There is a reason that Christianity is not Judaism, and Judaism is not Christianity. Trying to follow the teachings and mandates in the Old Testament and New Testament to the letter is impossible. Therefore, I believe that if you are a Christian then the teachings contained in the New Testament supersede the teachings in the Old Testament.

Hope I am a bit clearer
Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuck72
Sorry, perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been. Judaism is still alive and well.

What I was referring to is that if you take the teachings of Jesus literally, he was teaching a different path than the path of Judaism. Instead of strict adherence to the religious dogma that surrounded Judaism during the time of Jesus, he taught a personal way to salvation, without following the numerous laws mandated by the Jewish Covenants with God.

The Old Testament was included in the Christian canon as a way to lend legitimacy to the new religion, by trying to show that it had a spiritual lineage, and wasn't something made up on the spot. The Old Testament was also used to show that Jesus was legitimate because he is said to have fulfilled the prophesies of the Old Testament.

There is a reason that Christianity is not Judaism, and Judaism is not Christianity. Trying to follow the teachings and mandates in the Old Testament and New Testament to the letter is impossible. Therefore, I believe that if you are a Christian then the teachings contained in the New Testament supersede the teachings in the Old Testament.

Hope I am a bit clearer

Sooo...Christians should only follow the NT?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 AM
HBuck72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
Sooo...Christians should only follow the NT?

Well that is where you get into sticky situations, because the Bible is full of contradictions.

Jesus is quoted as saying in Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I have come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill". Which could be interpreted that the Old Testament is still in effect.

However, Jesus was called out numerous times by the Pharisees for not upholding the laws of the Old Testament. So.... Jesus himself was not following the laws of the Old Testament.

Also, the whole concept of God is totally different in the Old and New Testaments. Instead of a jealous, wrathful, and angry God (Old Testament), the New Testament portrays God as loving and merciful. (even though you will still be supposedly cast into eternal hell if you don't follow Jesus)

I believe in many ways Christians cling to the Old Testament when it is convenient, such as when you are mad "eye for an eye". Instead of Jesus' teaching of turning the other cheek.

Again there are very good reasons that Christianity is not Judaism, and Judaism is not Christianity. Unless you are following the 613 Mitzvot, you are not following the Old Testament. So if you are a Christian trying to do what both the Old and New Testament command, you are picking and choosing what to follow.

Judaism + Jesus ≠ Christianity