Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 28-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Master
Could be a good thread - can we keep the disrespect and insults down to a dull roar please everyone?

Old 28-03-2011, 08:47 PM
nightowl

sorry was just playin' didn't mean to offend...
Old 29-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaere
Could be a good thread - can we keep the disrespect and insults down to a dull roar please everyone?

You have to read that story with the old Rankin Bass holiday cartoons in mind. Picture the Fred Astaire puppet narrating the epic happenings as the story unfolds via the other characters.

Rankin Bass used elements of many myths, religions and and even a healthy dose of made up legends in many of their tales.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
sorry was just playin' didn't mean to offend...
lol you might as well poke fun at it the christians pinched it from the pagans and the store retailers and advertising people pinched it from everyone else. They turned Easter and Christmas into the holy retail season of advertising extravaganza and gulttony & excess.
Then Hollywood redefines its meaning every year.

It breaks my heart every year. We bulldoze forests to make retailers and shareholders richer.

Every year we try to hold onto some of its origins...
Old 29-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Animus27

Eggs and rabbits supposedly come from an Anglo-Saxon goddess testified by the English historian named Bede, named Eostre. Who, according to him, was a very popular goddess of spring-time. Since many Christian holidays absorbed pagan ones, it's not a stretch to see how Christianity adopted Germanic customs to make the conversion process more easier for the people.
Old 29-03-2011, 03:25 PM
iolite

Any holiday that I get chocolate out of is OK with me!!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Fire7

I have wondered the same
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Shim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
lol you might as well poke fun at it the christians pinched it from the pagans and the store retailers and advertising people pinched it from everyone else. They turned Easter and Christmas into the holy retail season of advertising extravaganza and gulttony & excess.
Then Hollywood redefines its meaning every year.

It breaks my heart every year. We bulldoze forests to make retailers and shareholders richer.

Every year we try to hold onto some of its origins...

What interests me more is the Friday before. We celebrate this day to be when Jesus was laid in the tomb to rest. However if we take the scripture below from Friday to Sunday that puts Jesus in the belly of the earth for only two nights and three days, if we include a partial day to be concluded as one day. But we can't work around this being only two nights on these celebrated days.

Matthew 12:40

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth
Old 04-04-2011, 03:37 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim
What interests me more is the Friday before. We celebrate this day to be when Jesus was laid in the tomb to rest. However if we take the scripture below from Friday to Sunday that puts Jesus in the belly of the earth for only two nights and three days, if we include a partial day to be concluded as one day. But we can't work around this being only two nights on these celebrated days.

Matthew 12:40

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth

Shim,
I have read a good explanation of this from the view point of Judaism, if you are so inclined you might want to look it up. I can't remember the exact site but if you search the crucifixion from the Jewish perspective you might come across it.