Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 24-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan[COLOR=black
]I understand that there are a wide variety of breathing practices... this one with the intention to neutrally observe and eventually become aware that the observer is the core essence of oneself, and others for other purposes.[/color]

Xan

This is Insight Meditation, and in this case one does not alter the breath; and, this thread does not prescribe a breathing technique.

The Insight Meditation doesn't have a purpose like you desribe as "eventually become aware that the observer is the core essence of oneself".

It is important to this technique that there is no suggestion nor presumption, because such things pray on persons' hopes, tempt them and incite them to desire... all these three; hope, temptation and desire, pertain to a future thing, and Insight Meditation is only about what is, as it happens to be, as that occurs to individuals' experience, now.
Old 24-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Master
I see....

Xan

Old 26-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Master
Insight isn't to do with all the deep things or whatever anyone has heard about. All the methods have a promise attached, but think about that, the promise is for something which will be gained in the future, and distracts from now.

In this technique one is only concerned with what is here and now so there can be no promisory offering. Yes, I can promise that you will breath til the day you die, and so what? Everyone knows that. No one cares about such a simple commonplace breath, until they choke, at which time it becomes of great importance. Promise breath to a choking man and he will follow you to earths end.

This promise that you will breath is not tempting because you already have it, and when you breath in you don't want to keep it so you let it go out again. There is no thought in that, no effort, the baby was born and it starts to breath, it doesn't control the breath. The breath just happens.

That is like the insight meditation. One does not try to make something happen. One just sees what is.
Old 27-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Master
Insight meditation is seeing (and feeling) inward... That's what meditation means. It bridges from outer physical, mental and emotional involvement into our more subtle nature.

One may allow their awareness to open further by letting go of preconceptions of any kind
now, not later sometime... to discover the silence within their physical breath, and many other surprisingly experiences as well.

Xan

Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Master
When they say 'the truth of who you are'... it's usually someone else they talk about, and not being concerned about that allows a person to be intent on the momentary existence as it is actually experienced. The insight isn't a search for something, it's only an awareness of what is present.

When a person begins meditation as a practice it can be a bit frustrating because the expectation is for something other than what currently is. Insight isn't concerned with anything other than what is current and observable at the moment. The meditator is just the witness of change as it happens to occur.

Reality as it is, as it is experienced by any individual occurs at a deeper level, and even though imaginary exersizes are beneficial and create good vibes, it's more important to see what vibes occur spontaneously and subconsciously.

If one wants to see breathing as a subconscious phenomena, then one can only do that by noticing it as it is. Altering the breath will not reveal its subconscious occurance. How can one see the naturally occuring breath if they don't breath naturally?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Master
Well said, Gem.

I think you may be referring to my suggestion to some people for belly breathing.

If you'll observe a baby or an animal you'll find this is our natural way of breathing, which became restricted unnaturally in facing difficulties in life and trying to control our emotions about them.

I retrained my breath pattern some time ago to full body breathing, which felt unnatural at first but now... so good.

This doesn't deny the value of simply watching the breath, which I also do. It's merely an alternative practice.

Xan

Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Master
This is not a breathing exersize, so if people want to breath in some particular way then don't worry about this technique, do another technique instead.

One notices the breath now, because it's the topic being spoken, and you don't make the breath happen, breathing just happens to you. When you alter the breath the tables turn and you make the breath happen, but insight is to see it as it is, not the way you want it to be.

The baby does not alter the breath or try to make it belly and sometimes a baby breaths so slightly I can barely see it breathing. Babies don't have a breathing technique nor do they breath in a particular way.

The insight method doesn't tell you how to breath, it just says 'see how the breath is'. I can't promise it is wonderful or anything, I can only say just see how it is. Maybe it's not so great, how can I know? I can't know what your breath feels like.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Master
well explained gem
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Master
Of course, if I offered two piles of carbon, one in the form of diamonds and the other coal, you would take the diamonds, but sorry, no promisory offerings here today.

I know that people want something 'spiritual' to happen, and most techniques promise that, but insight meditation isn't the persuit of supernatural phenomena.

Since one doesn't volitionally make something happen, or change what is happening, one can not expect anything. It's called the choiceless observation and there is only the truth; 'this' will change.

The purpose is very clear, but don't confuse that with a goal, because one can't attain anything by this practice, one can only see what is already here... moment by moment.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Master
To have an insight is not personal; it's not making a conclusion. It's not a highly spiritual thing to seek and say 'ah this is insight'.

Occasionally there's 'eureka', a moment of truth. That's not an imaginary thing is it? Everyone has experienced that.

When the insight occurs it's like flash 'lightbulb moment' and is gone momentarily. The person wants it to last, but it fades in time. You can not make insight happen. Insight occurs to you.

In this technique you are aware of what occurs to you, because the purpose is insight, and you can't make insight happen.