Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 21-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Master
Hello,

So is what being implied here is; Everything is a concept and the "truth lies in a person's point of view?"

For if I said (and am saying) "I am alive" is this a concept or truth?

Now where one might enter into "concepts" is to ask or explore "What is it to be alive?"

So could it be the "whys, how, what ifs and so forth" create the concepts and not the actual experience one may have?
Old 21-07-2011, 12:07 AM
northstar

lol @not human...

if the spirits bend to each individual... then there can only be different...
Old 21-07-2011, 12:43 AM
mattie

It Holds Water

Others can attempt to impose a view, but this is really irrelevant unless we choose to respond to it. Our response can take multiple forms.

Nonattachment is useful w/ these discussions. If one feels one’s self being sucked in it can be that more nonattachment is useful, but it can also be that this is a subject that one can benefit from exploring. Give self the flexibility to do what is right for you at that moment.

It is a natural state that differing POVs exist. This need not be viewed as conflict or even as right/wrong, but ALL having the same right to a differing POV. Differing POVs can coexist easily, just like different species of plants. Then there is kudzu! LOL.

You are correct that things can be valid/invalid at the same time. The difference is one’s perspective.
Old 21-07-2011, 01:59 AM
davec

Fish

If you have ever seen someone die, there is no way you would believe that death is simply a mental construct. Whether there is an afterlife is another question and also not a matter for the mind alone.
Old 21-07-2011, 06:01 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec
If you have ever seen someone die, there is no way you would believe that death is simply a mental construct. Whether there is an afterlife is another question and also not a matter for the mind alone.

I have Dave & we are now creating the perfect example of the tnread I can see truth & lies in both statements if this is an area of concern for you please start a thread on it & you will welcome in other viewpoints that may help. Thanks
Old 21-07-2011, 06:13 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
Others can attempt to impose a view, but this is really irrelevant unless we choose to respond to it. Our response can take multiple forms.

Nonattachment is useful w/ these discussions. If one feels one’s self being sucked in it can be that more nonattachment is useful, but it can also be that this is a subject that one can benefit from exploring. Give self the flexibility to do what is right for you at that moment.

It is a natural state that differing POVs exist. This need not be viewed as conflict or even as right/wrong, but ALL having the same right to a differing POV. Differing POVs can coexist easily, just like different species of plants. Then there is kudzu! LOL.

You are correct that things can be valid/invalid at the same time. The difference is one’s perspective.

Mattie, thats all I'm inquiring into I understand that it is taking an obvious viewpoint , however when you interface it with a medium of communication like we have here it can become quite informing.

Almost that if you can't get the both sides of the story there is no point in engaging or if you are you are killing time.

Case in point, recently I was taking an overactive stand on no self I was trying not to allow this to colour my dialog however I'm sure it did. I read a posting of yours that put it in terms of ' we are always looking beyond the very obvious or whats in front of us" for spiritual answers. This resonated with me, even though I figured your stand to be pro self. At that time I had both aspects & reached what I felt was a higher understanding.

It's great to see a plan come together. :)
Old 21-07-2011, 06:16 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Hello,

So is what being implied here is; Everything is a concept and the "truth lies in a person's point of view?"

For if I said (and am saying) "I am alive" is this a concept or truth?

Now where one might enter into "concepts" is to ask or explore "What is it to be alive?"

So could it be the "whys, how, what ifs and so forth" create the concepts and not the actual experience one may have?

Hi Moonglow I think just about any concept can be argued allbeit abstract at times but no less valid...
Old 22-07-2011, 02:53 AM
davec

Wittgenstein said we are bewitched by language. "Concept" is just a useful way of expressing, in a different way, an abstraction, a mental ability that allows us to work with even contradictory ideas at the same time. Because we can do this, we are led astray to confuse it with empirical reality. I referred to death because that is the most obvious and striking example of reality intruding on our mind games. An insightful thinking through of the pragmatic nature of conceptual ism will prevent you from the nasty habit of confusing it with reality, whether or not you can eventually hook up your concepts with reality (a different process that poses even more challenges than conceptualization does)._
Old 22-07-2011, 04:19 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec
Wittgenstein said we are bewitched by language. "Concept" is just a useful way of expressing, in a different way, an abstraction, a mental ability that allows us to work with even contradictory ideas at the same time. Because we can do this, we are led astray to confuse it with empirical reality. I referred to death because that is the most obvious and striking example of reality intruding on our mind games. An insightful thinking through of the pragmatic nature of conceptual ism will prevent you from the nasty habit of confusing it with reality, whether or not you can eventually hook up your concepts with reality (a different process that poses even more challenges than conceptualization does)._

Sorry mate you've lost me.... I am mainly orientating this to this medium of communication visa vie this forum I don't want to get sidetracked into the nature (s) of reality.
If you don't agree with a concept I laid down then THAT is the point how we iinteract & where we go to is the inquiry not the concept itself. By you proving me wrong or me proving you wrong is a total waste of man power. As I have postulated the nature of concepts contain a truth & a lie so cannot be confused with empirical reality. Plenty of folks enjoy a ****ing contest & theres plenty of places to do that.
I am using the word : concept, I could also use the word viewpoint or idea etc If you take the line of "its abstract & not reality" well obviously thats the nature of the beast.....who's reality mine. yours the flying spaghetti monster they're all different. If you are searching for the reality that cannot be named & emcompasses all then tag me when you get there. Ah thats better.......

Last edited by not human : 22-07-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 23-07-2011, 05:39 AM
davec

Fish

I am sorry I lost you. I was trying to simplify and I made no mention of ultimate reality. In brief, what I said was that concepts are not to be confused with the empirical facts they denote when that is what they are doing. When concepts are abstracted beyond that, it is imagination. In either case conceptualization is a tool, that's all. Others in this thread have seemed to confuse or conflate concepts with the objects they are concerned with. There is just no good reason for doing that. It is going off in all these abstruse directions that loses me. Concepts are a whole lot easier to understand than that.

Peace.