Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-03-2024, 01:10 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
What about 'thought' bound to a 'healthy' ego, is that 'bad' ?

Sky,

Actually it sounds laughable…..:). The normal sense of healthy is something that is vibrant, is flourishing, is strong…….having a healthy ego is akin to speaking of a healthy virus…..it is nonsensical…IMO
Old 26-03-2024, 02:28 PM
Master

Molelearner I disagree with you and I don’t see Sky’s view as laughable. That sounds a little condescending mate. Imo

I feel a healthy ego is when you have a well balanced view of your sense of self, that is……….not having a Fragile ego and not having an inflated ego.

Maybe that was what Sky was referring to as “healthy”. But I’m sure she will clarify soon.
Old 26-03-2024, 03:18 PM
Master
The term ego is viewed differently by people, as of their understanding. I take it as identity that feels separate from source or universal consciousness. This would mean not only mind-body association but even soul or formless awareness that yet feels it is a distinct, separate entity.

Now, for the most of us or perhaps all of us, we have an ego, which in any case is necessary to navigate earth life. But if it is instrumentalised, there is no problem, however if we believe we are the ego, then we succumb to its cravings and are bound.

The thing is, let us say we see who we are, as light of Self in singularity. Ok. But there is a gap between recognition and assimilation, that is to say, the awareness of Self, if not embodied whilst we are in our waking state positions us at level of ego whist also reminding us that we are not this but that, since we have been, seen and so known.

An interesting thing I’ve noticed, all thoughts are rooted in ego. In fact, ego depends on thoughts to exist. However, awareness self-aware needs no thought, in meditation there is no thought, simply awareness.
Old 26-03-2024, 03:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Sky,

Actually it sounds laughable…..:). The normal sense of healthy is something that is vibrant, is flourishing, is strong…….having a healthy ego is akin to speaking of a healthy virus…..it is nonsensical…IMO

It's good to laugh and beneficial to our wellbeing now after you've finished laughing you can thank evolution that we do have many 'healthy viruses' which are extremely useful for our physical health and the 'ego' which is just a tool can also be used as an aid for our spiritual health. It's not the 'ego' that causes the problems but how you use it.... You can use it as an aid or a weapon, the choice is yours.
Old 26-03-2024, 03:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12

I feel a healthy ego is when you have a well balanced view of your sense of self, that is……….not having a Fragile ego and not having an inflated ego.

You understand . An unhealthy 'ego' could be seen as a sick frame of mind or attitude which causes suffering for yourself and others...
Old 26-03-2024, 03:35 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
What about 'thought' bound to a 'healthy' ego, is that 'bad' ?

I think it would depend on what you are calling a "healthy ego" and what kind of thoughts it is attached to. Many ego's are "healthy" in the sense of confidence, self worth and so on, positive, yet they treat others horrible like in the case of billionaires who abuse staff in various ways. Or some "religious" or "spiritual" types who belittle others. Another example is some doctor who has a "healthy ego" again in confidence wanting to help others etc but is an alcoholic and so makes horrible mistakes during surgeries while drunk. I know of one doctor in particular who did such things. Then of course egos in general tend to think they are always right about pretty much everything which leads to horrible things in this world and conflicts. The ability to question one's own beliefs and opinions adds to growth and wisdom which would not happen much in a "strong ego." An I am great, I am right type deal.

I think the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intent" and what that is about is a perfect example how "healthy" or "good" egos have a major flaw in them. No matter how good an ego is it will create conflict with others. In my opinion it has to as it involves a consciousness that has identified with it's conditioning and content as self. Example is arguing with others on a forum about who is right or wars on this planet ect. Conflict. Conflicts between people who supposedly "love" each other. I think the conflict exists because of ego or one carrying an identity based on ones body, cultural conditioning, carried beliefs and so on. Thus why most wars have started. Because all egos perceive differences between them and others based on superficial things like how ones body looks or ones conditioned beliefs.

Someone born and raised in a Hindu environment and culture and someone born and raised in a Muslim environment and culture will be conditioned to "see" or perceive and believe each other to be different and egos, "healthy" or not, accept their conditioning as self. This usually results in conflict. No ego, no identification with conditioning and superficials, equals no conflict. Someone with no ego sees all humans as equal. They perceive egos as consciousnesses identified with their conditioning and content. Ego's "push" and defend identity, conditioning, and content. Doing so results in strengthening a false self which derives a certain kind of pleasure and even security. To "one up" someone else.
Old 26-03-2024, 05:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
I think it would depend on what you are calling a "healthy ego" and what kind of thoughts it is attached to.

You will understand when you've experienced it for yourself, grasping the snake by the wrong end causes suffering.
Two examples of Humans who existed with a 'Healthy Ego' are The Buddha and Jesus. Of course there are many others past and present, to many to mention but I'm 100% sure many will know who they are without me compiling a list. Imo only......
Old 26-03-2024, 06:12 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
The term ego is viewed differently by people, as of their understanding. I take it as identity that feels separate from source or universal consciousness. This would mean not only mind-body association but even soul or formless awareness that yet feels it is a distinct, separate entity.

Unseeking Seeker,

This is basically the way I see it. Ego is the identity until we search for true Self. It is the separation from the divine and others. To attempt to strengthen or make the ego stronger can only serve to increase the degree of separation. The greater the ego the greater will be the rejection of repentance, the willingness to forgive and the pursuit of love.

It is the one thing that becomes better by becoming less…..:)
Old 26-03-2024, 06:53 PM
Molearner

IMO love is born in the absence of ego. For my understanding I visualize the creation of the vesica picis…this shape is produced when two circles intersect to any degree. Each circle represents a separate individual. The size of the vesica picis is determined by the degree to which one forgives or judges the other which otherwise would be prevented by the ego. Besides allowing for the birth of love another interesting thingg occurs in this created space. This area of the absence of ego is the realm….the of the divine. Wherever love is is also the dwelling place of the divine…..
Old 26-03-2024, 09:42 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
You will understand when ...

Understand what?