Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
DebbyM

From what I've read, you could replace the word cancer with heart disease, or diabetes or obesity or a number of other issues. What it seems to boil down to is that a plant based diet seems to be a basis for better health stats which might explain why you are hearing more instances lately of doctors recommending same for patients in extreme circumstances.

Most of the vegans whose comments I've read or vegans that I know of (I know two besides myself) quit eating meat in response to a desire to not be part of the cycle of suffering. Very few seem to quit for health reasons. That seems to come after, as they begin to look into how to maintain their own health on a different dietary system. Most of us didn't hate the taste or texture, but were willing to give up something that was a habit, tradition, a viable taste experience for the sake of the animals. Out of a loving heart come loving actions despite the added work and increased inconvenience.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM
DebbyM

Sorry, another double post so I just deleted the message.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
We're about to go vegetarian/vegan again as a family because of my daughter, who suffers from a bewildering array of conditions.

The funny thing is that she had decided to secretly forgo some of her medications and try a plant based whole foods diet on her own, while trying to keep her doctor in the dark. Then she got a letter from her doctor suggesting that he would like to take her off her medications and have her adopt a plant-based whole foods approach.

Anyhow, the rest of us are also coming along - both to make it easier for her, and because every time I've flirted with such an approach, I've felt better. Usually MUCH better.

The one thing I've decided about nutrition science is that, as a general rule - no one knows what the heck they are talking about. Human nutrition is an enormously complex subject that just isn't really suited for the typical nutrition science approach of isolating one nutrient and testing it individually.

I hope that you will keep us posted on how she does, no specifics of course but I for one would be interested in her outcome. I watched a video a few months ago about a woman who was immobilized by her MS to the point of needing to be in one of those 'slanted' wheel chairs because she could no longer sit up on her own. So she did some research and ultimately decided that she would give the plant based whole food diet a shot and by the time six months was up, she was back to riding her bicycle. I think her improvement (walking again with two canes) happened pretty fast as in by the end of the 2nd week. It was truly inspiring and touched my heart because I had a cousin who died a few years back from his MS or complications of it. Anyway, good luck to your daughter.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Experiencer
Thanks. We will.

As to other motivations, my views fluctuate a lot. If all domestic animals were raised as part of an integrated farm environment where they contributed to the sustainability of the whole enterprise - and were then humanely dispatched - I might not have a large issue with that. Domestic animals are basically human creations. Few of them would exist in their current form in the wild (the same goes for most agricultural plants). Their lives are bound up with humans at this point. And everything dies as part of life's process.

However, the picture described above is SO far away from what the meat industry is today that a comparison is tragic and pathetic. 99.99% of what's involved in the meat industry is a disaster on every level - health, environment, global nutrition, etc. Of course, global agriculture has it's OWN problems...
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Domestic animals are basically human creations. Few of them would exist in their current form in the wild (the same goes for most agricultural plants). Their lives are bound up with humans at this point. And everything dies as part of life's process.

However, the picture described above is SO far away from what the meat industry is today that a comparison is tragic and pathetic. 99.99% of what's involved in the meat industry is a disaster on every level - health, environment, global nutrition, etc. Of course, global agriculture has it's OWN problems...
Its good you are willing to try new things for yourself and your daughter. A lot of food today is so far from healthy its not funny.

Much is full of oil based synthetics and things that are highly processed.

I guess we are natural things you would think natural organic foods in their unprocessed state would be the optimum thing for purging toxins out and enhancing health. A lot of packaged man made products claim to do that but I really dont believe they do.

I was only wondering this morning how much fossil fuel crude oil I inadvertently eat in my food.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Master

Quote:
We're about to go vegetarian/vegan again as a family because of my daughter, who suffers from a bewildering array of conditions.

The funny thing is that she had decided to secretly forgo some of her medications and try a plant based whole foods diet on her own, while trying to keep her doctor in the dark. Then she got a letter from her doctor suggesting that he would like to take her off her medications and have her adopt a plant-based whole foods approach.

Anyhow, the rest of us are also coming along - both to make it easier for her, and because every time I've flirted with such an approach, I've felt better. Usually MUCH better.

The one thing I've decided about nutrition science is that, as a general rule - no one knows what the heck they are talking about. Human nutrition is an enormously complex subject that just isn't really suited for the typical nutrition science approach of isolating one nutrient and testing it individually.

Good for you, Rev. Keith!

My best wishes to your daughter. I hope the change of diet helps her. I wish her good health and happiness - and you too.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM
From what I've read, you could replace the word cancer with heart disease, or diabetes or obesity or a number of other issues. What it seems to boil down to is that a plant based diet seems to be a basis for better health stats which might explain why you are hearing more instances lately of doctors recommending same for patients in extreme circumstances.

Most of the vegans whose comments I've read or vegans that I know of (I know two besides myself) quit eating meat in response to a desire to not be part of the cycle of suffering. Very few seem to quit for health reasons. That seems to come after, as they begin to look into how to maintain their own health on a different dietary system. Most of us didn't hate the taste or texture, but were willing to give up something that was a habit, tradition, a viable taste experience for the sake of the animals. Out of a loving heart come loving actions despite the added work and increased inconvenience.

Very nicely put, Debby.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
The average vegetarian will read more labels than the average meat eater. And when you remove one (usually) major part of your diet (meat) you will look for a replacement and delve into nutrition to be sure you don't miss out on anything.What part of ''worried about deficiencies'' was unclear? I wasn't mentioning cancer.What is a ''loving heart''..?

I was making a general observation. As I said, the great majority of vegetarians and vegans are so, not for the benefit of themselves, but because they don't want to be the cause of suffering, bloodshed and killing.

You ask "What is a loving heart"? If you need it explaining, there'd be no point in explaining.

Old 13-03-2012, 12:12 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Thanks. We will.

As to other motivations,.......... Of course, global agriculture has it's OWN problems...

I just reviewed an email plea from Animals Australia and the footage taken in Indonesian slaughter houses was absolutely stomach turning so when you make reference to global agriculture, I can only agree about the global problems. Not only that, but it would seem (from the same email) that whenever indigenous peoples are involved, all governments seem to be blind to the brutality that their hunts often engender. It is not only the sharks that have their fins cut off while they are alive but also sea turtles suffer the same plight. They are why I am a vegan.

By the way knightofalbion, I love your signature. Beautiful words to live by.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Master

Thank you, Debby.

Keep shining your beautiful light.