Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 03:34 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Not the labels themselves no, but how we perceive the labels as labels. Frankly I'm not even sure of the reasons the word came up in the first place because 'medium' is not a label - and neither are so many things that labels are supposed to be.
Well I didn't introduce the subject of labels. A look back will show who did.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:44 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
'Medium' is a description for the sake of communication and understanding,
Yes indeed that's what it's intended for. It's not a hard-and-fast, agreed-my-most definition, but simply a description of what someone called by that name - or 'label' if you wish - generally does.

Entering into a discussion about other words and/or labels would be better done in a different thread.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:56 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
If you want a psychology 'starter', look to your reasons but be honest with yourself. Saying that psychology nor Spirituality are your fields comes from an 'interaction' between how you perceive yourself and how you define psychology and Spirituality.
Firstly I don't want a psychology starter and have no interest in one. Being honest with myself - and with others - is what I strive always to do.

There's a simple reason if I've said neither is my field - neither actually is however someone might characterise or define them. I don't know enough about either to discuss or define either and have no need and no wish to.

Last edited by bobjob : 08-11-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
. Here's the secret that nobody else will tell you - you are your psychology and your Spirituality is you. The reasons for having this or that belief is self awareness, believing oneself to be self aware isn't.
I neither agree nor disagree with this assertion about belief and I don't have a clue what the rest means - it's not my field. As for the secret that nobody else will tell me, might it be just as likely that they don't see it the way you suggest? And even if they did they might not be telling me and us because it's not related or relevant to the thread's intended focus.

Quote:
And to be honest, I doubt the forum is ready for anything other than their own definitions of Spirituality.
Well to be honest (!) I rather foolishly thought readers of this thread would be more interested in the discussions about how easy it is to become a medium than any side issue about so-called spirituality.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:48 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
And even if they did they might not be telling me and us because it's not related or relevant to the thread's intended focus.
Ok, basic self awareness. Where does your perceptions of who and what you are come from? And every other perception you have of anything else?

As I've said before, one of the biggest stumbling blocks top becoming a medium is people's own perceptions. They have perceptions of themselves and they have perceptions of what mediumship is, and in the no-man's-land in between are the reasons they decide it's not for them. That's all down to psychology, as is how we perceive labels and how we deal with them.

This thread is about whether it is easy or not to become a medium, that is where it all begins. Easy or not has nothing to do with mediumship itself but how people perceive and this thread is about changing perceptions, because the OPer has perceptions and is curious enough to ask.

Maybe if people knew more about what was going on inside their heads they'd be less of the victim, more self aware and get through those barriers instead of sitting thinking "What if?"
Old 08-11-2021, 11:57 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Ok, basic self awareness. Where does your perceptions of who and what you are come from? And every other perception you have of anything else?
Look I don't want to come over as disrespectful but you're either not listening to what I've been saying or you're not hearing. l have no interest in a psychology taster and this forum isn't appropriate for one even if I were interested
Old 08-11-2021, 12:04 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
As I've said before, one of the biggest stumbling blocks top becoming a medium is people's own perceptions. They have perceptions of themselves and they have perceptions of what mediumship is, and in the no-man's-land in between are the reasons they decide it's not for them. That's all down to psychology, as is how we perceive labels and how we deal with them.

You may be right in your first point. It's a possibility for some and is encompassed in one of my first points - it's as easy or difficult as any particular individual experiences it. The psychology involved may, or may not, be relevant and is one more possibility.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:15 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
This thread is about whether it is easy or not to become a medium, that is where it all begins. Easy or not has nothing to do with mediumship itself but how people perceive and this thread is about changing perceptions,
May I respectfully suggest that the last few words are simply your idea of what the thread's about? I see it somewhat more simply.

Quote:
.... because the OPer has perceptions and is curious enough to ask.
Yet one more possibility but you don't actually know what was in the thread starter's mind when he opened the conversation. Unless you've been in discussion with him outside of this thread?

Quote:
Maybe if people knew more about what was going on inside their heads they'd be less of the victim, more self aware and get through those barriers instead of sitting thinking "What if?"
Yes that's definitely a "maybe" and there may be other equally relevant maybes.

Just for interest, do your ideas come from personal experiences when becoming a medium or from being a qualified psychologist?
Old 10-11-2021, 07:40 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
Just for interest, do your ideas come from personal experiences when becoming a medium or from being a qualified psychologist?
All of the above. I completed a course with the SNU that ended in an assessment so I guess that's a qualification too. I also worked in mental health and as a trainer/assessor and developed/assessed NVQs, amongst others. Currently I'm taking a course on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.

If someone is talking/asking about mediumship then they have a perception, whatever that is, and they can't talk/ask if they don't. Keeping it simple. So no I don't know what was in the OPer's mind but there is a perception and asking if it's easy implies no previous experience. Until I find out otherwise, that's often a good place to start. For me as a trainer/assessor it's kinda an initial assessment.

And really, that's no different to anyone else because we're all drawing from our own personal backgrounds in our own way..
Old 10-11-2021, 10:25 PM
Deactivated Account
Putting it simply: Your answer to my first question is "no". You weren't speaking from personal experience when becoming a medium.

You haven't answered my second question but again it appears to be "no".
Closed Thread