Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 30-11-2016, 02:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
No not really and one has to understand that each of those traditions have different beliefs and end points.

Hinduism doesn't believe in emptiness it beliefs in a soul that resides in some place.. The end goal of Yoga being cessation.

Taoism believes in emptiness the Tao, but not in the same way as Buddhism. Taoism is mostly a mental state of emptiness.

Zen does believe in emptiness of self and of ultimate reality but it also is of the mind only school. It believes that all things, arise from the mind. Are creations of the mind.

You can think of traditions having spiritual progression over time.

Yoga only went to the light. The yogis got lost in the bliss and only wanted to return to it and end suffering.

Taoism found there is more beyond the light and that is emptiness of self but does not believe in emptiness of ultimate reality.

The Buddha came around and said there is more beyond the light, more beyond emptiness of self, that there is emptiness of ultimate reality which is what makes one a Buddha.

Most people confuse oneness with the energy aspect of things. One can go to far and confuse it with oneness.

On the other side people will experience the void, silence, quiet mind and mistake that for emptiness.

Emptiness is when has realized that the energy and void are one and the same.

Zen does not believe in universal oneness.

Also with my previous description I was talking about ones thoughts and ourselves with our limitations--the limitations of the body, mind, and senses. Thus we feel incomplete and limited, and are subject to feelings of sorrow, insecurity, fear, and separation, because we have separated ourselves from the experience of the whole.
emotions.. not oneness.

Yoga only went to the light? What light?

Cessation is the end goal of Yoga? Cessation of what?

The ultimate goal of yoga is to unite ourselves with our Highest or True nature. Is this a limited goal to you?

Isn't Taoism mostly concerned with harmony, can you provide a source that refers to Taoism 'going beyond the light'? Or a reference to Taoists 'emptiness of the self'?
Old 30-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Yoga only went to the light? What light?

Cessation is the end goal of Yoga? Cessation of what?

The ultimate goal of yoga is to unite ourselves with our Highest or True nature. Is this a limited goal to you?

Isn't Taoism mostly concerned with harmony, can you provide a source that refers to Taoism 'going beyond the light'? Or a reference to Taoists 'emptiness of the self'?

Please forgive me if I said Taoism... You are correct about Taoism.. I meant Daosim.

What is the highest true goal in yoga? To return to Brahma. In Shaivism to become one with Shiva...

The Tao is emptiness.. I would refer you to the TTC.

The light that one reaches is Samadhi.

There is no path in Yoga for one to become like Shiva, or Shakti or Pavarti or Ganeshe.

The return to the one is the energy of all things, what is beyond the energy in Yoga? What is beyond Samadhi in Yoga? Are there any stages beyond opening the crown chakra?

Last edited by jonesboy : 30-11-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 30-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryad
Thanks Jones. That is really helpful and rather a bit confusing as well. Clearly I was reading more into your previous statement than what you meant. I don't really equate thoughts and emotions with the self since they are transient and when you talked about clouds I just jumped to merging with the actual clouds and extended that to the rest of reality as well. That's more or less what I mean by oneness. Is that the same or do you have a different idea of oneness?

Thoughts and emotions do seem transient. One can get to the point where they seem separate from oneself.

That is just a stage, the thoughts and emotions are you. Eventually one gets to the point where the thoughts and emotions become energy and they just flow right through you non attaching like the clouds in the sky.

Still that is separation, you and the energy.

The next stage is you being that energy.

To get an understanding of how that translates into real life, or a deeper understand of what I am describing.

Here you go.

http://community.livingunbound.net/i.../#comment-5207

Quote:
Void = energy seems obvious.... why is that emptiness?
Can you explain what you mean by emptiness? I understood it as lack of independent existence but that means the void cannot be empty because it exists outside of time..... see why I'm getting confused..... The Tao cannot be empty....As in lack of existence.... but it is undefined so seems empty to our perception.

Please forgive me for adding any confusion.

The void is not energy.

The void is often thought of as silence, complete and utter silence like unmoving water.

Void is often used in place of the term Sunyata which means emptiness.

Here is a great description of emptiness for you. It is too long for me to post here and not get in trouble.

http://community.livingunbound.net/i...t/#comment-601

A little snipit:

Primordial emptiness is like a bubbling sea of nothingness, brimming with potential. It can be most easily described in the realization of three components, but each of the component is inseparable. These components are Void, motion (or energy) and potential......
Old 30-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Master
[quote=jonesboy]Please forgive me if I said Taoism... You are correct about Taoism.. I meant Daosim.

they are the same. Daoism is the more modern spelling based on the pinyin system
Old 30-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Quote:
Please forgive me if I said Taoism... You are correct about Taoism.. I meant Daosim.

they are the same. Daoism is the more modern spelling based on the pinyin system

I do get confused sometimes when learning about Taoism.

Taoism is so diverse.

You have the part of it where it is about being in harmony with nature and that is often referred to as Taosim.

Then there is the other aspects where there are Immortals and the path to being an Immortal and people refer to that as being Daosim.

Taosim can also just be a philosophy and one can be a Taoist Buddhist or Christian.

It is an interesting tradition.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Master
Quote:
I do get confused sometimes when learning about Taoism.

Taoism is so diverse.

You have the part of it where it is about being in harmony with nature and that is often referred to as Taosim.

Then there is the other aspects where there are Immortals and the path to being an Immortal and people refer to that as being Daosim.

Taosim can also just be a philosophy and one can be a Taoist Buddhist or Christian.

It is an interesting tradition.

You are still confused... Taoism/Daoism both the same.. just the spelling.
It is a mixture of Religion/Phil: so you can choose yourself to follow your own Religion and Taoism, it works well either way.
Old 30-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
You are still confused... Taoism/Daoism both the same.. just the spelling.
It is a mixture of Religion/Phil: so you can choose yourself to follow your own Religion and Taoism, it works well either way.

I said they were the same and why I was confused..
Old 30-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Knower

Quote:
I am far from confused.

More so, I am willing to demonstrate everything I have said I could do.

All the best.

My point is I'm not interested in what you can do, because we're talking about the realization that you are not a doer. Wanting to demonstrate through talking about what you can do is missing the point entirely.
Old 30-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKey
My point is I'm not interested in what you can do, because we're talking about the realization that you are not a doer. Wanting to demonstrate through talking about what you can do is missing the point entirely.

If you have truly realized it, it can be shared with others not just talked about.

A very, very big difference.

That is the point you are missing.
Old 30-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryad
Isnt that oneness?

The zen concept I referred to (although the book I was reading draws on tao and hindu sources as well) is the stages of awakening as duality (ego and seperation) .....then pre-awakening (no ego) unity of opposites (what i would call oneness)....then awakening (kensho and satori or buddhanature) unity awareness of both duality and oneness.

that's my understanding of what the book presented I have paraphrased it.
The bit about destruction and creation is based on my personal experience of the way void energy works. Zen is all about direct experience of the void and equates void with emptiness.

Oneness is really already the case. Through the human mind the one is able to not only conceptualize and differentiate but also experience as well.

As a part of that movement, the one falls into the delusion of being other than one, and that delusion can be seen through.

I don't mind the idea of stages to awakening within the context of experience. Seeing through your own self imposed boundaries is what awakening is, but this is not an addition to the separate person. It is a removal and letting go.

Along that line when we talk about ascension, there is a distinction to be made between a person ascending levels of consciousness, and the one consciousness unbecoming a person. To talk as if the former is absolutely true because your experience confirms it is to bypass the awakening itself for an enhanced identity based an experience, which ultimately speaking, doesn't actually belong to anyone.