Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 26-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
There are differences between ethnic groups, such as with dairy intolerance. But overall, animal protein is key for good health for everyone because we evolved that way. It's not really surprising that common nutritional deficiencies among Indians are exactly the nutrients that are easy to get from animal food. The Brahmins and the mystics may argue for a semi-vegan diet but the human body isn't well equipped to thrive on it.

But the body does thrive on ' Semi Veg '. we see it amongst the Population. What you are use to eating from birth wouldn't cause you any problems and maybe for some changing their diets would cause problems they never had before.... We're all different.
Old 26-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Master
But it does not matter if you ''grow up with it'' when symptoms of deficiency starts to emerge. The culture these mystics come from has a history of deliberate deficiencies. We are all homo sapiens. The mystics can preach a diet of porridge and a glass of milk a day but it will create feeble followers ((but maybe that's the goal as well?)).

Anyway, I digress here.
The general theme is, people from many spiritual traditions abstain from things (sleep, food, sex, people) and then get their ''experience'' but it's (IMO) suspicious as these abstinences are not healthy, and when the brain is deprived of animal fat, the 'mind' is deprived of social contact, or the body is deprived of food, one's health starts to decline.
Old 26-08-2020, 09:07 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
No

Well it's a formless continuum that functions to perceive and understand , it thinks, reacts and recognises and when it doesn't function properly your ' Out of your mind '

sky123,

Rather than saying "when it doesn't function properly" perhaps, instead, we could say "when it doesn't function normally". Sometimes I think it is good to be 'out of MY mind'.....it is actually a goal of the meditation practice that I use. I desire to be in a space that is not intruded upon by the workings of my mind.

Because this is the Christianity forum some different things regarding the mind come to mind....:) (pun unavoidable).
Romans 12:2....."And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind".....indicating that we can consciously have an effect on our mind.

Philippians 2:5....."Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus..."

1 Corinthians 2:16.....".....but we have the mind of Christ"
This indicates that at some time the early Christians had experienced success, indeed, in renewing their minds.

It must be pointed out that these changing of the minds was spiritually assisted it just did not simply happen because believers thought it sounded like a good idea....:)
Old 27-08-2020, 06:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
sky123,

Rather than saying "when it doesn't function properly" perhaps, instead, we could say "when it doesn't function normally". Sometimes I think it is good to be 'out of MY mind'.....it is actually a goal of the meditation practice that I use. I desire to be in a space that is not intruded upon by the workings of my mind.

Because this is the Christianity forum some different things regarding the mind come to mind....:) (pun unavoidable).
Romans 12:2....."And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind".....indicating that we can consciously have an effect on our mind.

Philippians 2:5....."Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus..."

1 Corinthians 2:16.....".....but we have the mind of Christ"
This indicates that at some time the early Christians had experienced success, indeed, in renewing their minds.

It must be pointed out that these changing of the minds was spiritually assisted it just did not simply happen because believers thought it sounded like a good idea....:)

So you like to be ' Out of your mind '
I think all the Verses you quoted are referring to ' Thinking ' like Jesus having the same ' Wholesome ' thoughts as He had.

I personally don't think we can completely control the mind but we can steer it in the right direction by replacing unwholesome thoughts with wholesome thoughts, if you don't give a thought energy is disappears as quick as it came.

Can you purposely get out of the mind , I can't because I'm using the mind to get out of the mind so if I ' Meditate ' I'm stilling the mind rather than getting out of it.
Old 27-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Master
Mind and Body.

http://www.ukapologetics.net/07/mindandbody.htm

Mo you might enjoy this article, or maybe not
Old 28-08-2020, 09:12 PM
Master
Quote:
http://www.ukapologetics.net/07/mindandbody.htm

Mo you might enjoy this article, or maybe not

Excellent article ! Dr. Bruce Greyson, who is mentioned in this article, is one of my personal favorites on this subject from a well-researched psychiatric/medical perspective.
Old 29-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Excellent article ! Dr. Bruce Greyson, who is mentioned in this article, is one of my personal favorites on this subject from a well-researched psychiatric/medical perspective.

Glad you enjoyed it, it's certainly interesting. Blind being able to see during NDEs is something I'm going to look into more deeply as it's fascinating.

Many moons ago I realized the Mind as being seperate from the Body while doing a mundane act of just sitting in a chair and my mind was elsewhere. I can be anywhere and leave the Body in the chair.

It comes in handy when your in pain, instead of saying ' I am in pain ' I now think ' Pain is in my body ' the I am has moved away ' Of course pain is not something to be ignored as it's usually a warning that something is amiss with the body but the seperation is a good ' Tool ' to deal with it...

This is just my ramblings and I don't expect everyone to agree
Old 29-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
However, there are some exceptional individuals who survive without food with one case being well-documented in Yogananda's "Autobiography of a Yogi". When I was at the Khumba Mela in India, I met one such being.

In yoga, they talk about three types of food --- sattvic, rajas, and tamasic. Food is important.

In any case, you are correct that these are rare exceptions.
I wouldn't say such a thing. Nobody can survive without food and water.
I take that food categorization with a grain of salt. It was made up by priests and cow herders on a tropical savanna. They worship the cow but in other societies people acknowledge that beef for instance is highly nutritious. So who is right? They also think mushrooms, onions, and eggs (all healthy) are ''the mode of ignorance''. I can tell you eating eggs doesn't make me 'ignorant', as a matter of fact it contains fats that are good for the brain.

I've researched this topic and there's a lot of vegans who suffer from brain freeze and ''dizziness'' that they confuse with 'spiritual vibes' and progress.

To my understanding there have been societies in history that have systematically induced artificial 'mystical' experiences through the practice of abstinences, thinking symptoms of health decline are spiritual progress. It's the peeps who think they are God. It's all a huge con, IMO. Your brain is starved of fat, you don't sleep, or you are alone in a dark room for days.... and you start to think that you are God.
Old 30-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it, it's certainly interesting. Blind being able to see during NDEs is something I'm going to look into more deeply as it's fascinating.

Many moons ago I realized the Mind as being seperate from the Body while doing a mundane act of just sitting in a chair and my mind was elsewhere. I can be anywhere and leave the Body in the chair.

It comes in handy when your in pain, instead of saying ' I am in pain ' I now think ' Pain is in my body ' the I am has moved away ' Of course pain is not something to be ignored as it's usually a warning that something is amiss with the body but the seperation is a good ' Tool ' to deal with it...

This is just my ramblings and I don't expect everyone to agree

During my own NDE many years ago, iI could "see" beyond the range of the five senses so the physical senses are not the critical factor.

Also, when I came out of my NDE, I was completely symptom-free despite the fact that the doctors had predicted severe brain/organ damage in the unlikely event of surviving the "irreversible coma".

The process of the mind-body-spirit connection healing is indeed fascinating.
Old 30-08-2020, 05:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I wouldn't say such a thing. Nobody can survive without food and water.
I take that food categorization with a grain of salt. It was made up by priests and cow herders on a tropical savanna. They worship the cow but in other societies people acknowledge that beef for instance is highly nutritious. So who is right? They also think mushrooms, onions, and eggs (all healthy) are ''the mode of ignorance''. I can tell you eating eggs doesn't make me 'ignorant', as a matter of fact it contains fats that are good for the brain.

I've researched this topic and there's a lot of vegans who suffer from brain freeze and ''dizziness'' that they confuse with 'spiritual vibes' and progress.

To my understanding there have been societies in history that have systematically induced artificial 'mystical' experiences through the practice of abstinences, thinking symptoms of health decline are spiritual progress. It's the peeps who think they are God. It's all a huge con, IMO. Your brain is starved of fat, you don't sleep, or you are alone in a dark room for days.... and you start to think that you are God.

Here is Yoganananda's written account in "Autobiography of a Yogi" about a woman who never eats.

https://inscribedonthebelievingmind..../15/giri-bala/

At the Khumba Mela in Haridwar, India, in 1998, I met a yogi who reportedly never eats as confirmed by his long-time disciples. However, I cannot personally certify that as being true.

Having met extraordinary beings throughout the world, my sense is that virtually anything is possible but that "miracles" are not necessarily a sign of wisdom/spirituality.