Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 29-02-2024, 07:36 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
In Hebrew there is no capitalization. When I use Elohim, I believe I always use Elohim. I can't recollect using elohim.
BigJohn,

In post #96 you stated that Elohim was used for both ‘God’ and ‘gods’ seemingly implying that there is no difference between God and gods. Are they one and the same ? Earlier, in reference to Psalm 82, I attempted to establish that the Bible acknowledges multiple gods but that there is a supreme God amongst them. How does the use of Elohim allow for this possibility ? In other words, both multiple gods and a supreme God ?
Old 29-02-2024, 08:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Earlier, in reference to Psalm 82, I attempted to establish that the Bible acknowledges multiple gods but that there is a supreme God amongst them. How does the use of Elohim allow for this possibility ? In other words, both multiple gods and a supreme God ?

In Psalm 82, the very first word in that Psalm is "God" which in Hebrew is the transliterated word Elohim. The last word of Psalm 82:1 is the word "gods" which is derived from the Hebrew word that is also transliterated as Elohim.

I have contended that when scriptures were translated from Hebrew to Greek, the transliterated expression pronounced something like Elohim should have been translated as something like Elohim instead of how it was translated. This Elohim mentioned in Psalm 82 is the same Elohim mentioned throughout the first creation account.

Some people believe these accounts were written by Elohists or an Elohist as opposed to the Yahwists or Yahwist which is attributed as the authors of the second creation account.

As for Supreme God: I would say the Elohists don't have one whereas the Yahwists make that claim.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 29-02-2024, 09:04 PM
Molearner

Quote:
As for Supreme God: I would say the Elohists don't have one whereas the Yahwists make that claim.

Yahweh being the son of El as many claim……interesting……:)
Old 29-02-2024, 09:10 PM
Master
Where does it say that?

If you look at the two creation accounts: there is one for the Elohists and there is one for the Yahwist. There are also some interesting expressions that 'connect' both accounts 'togther'.

If you look at Psalm 82: that seems to be 100% Elohist writings.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 29-02-2024, 10:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Where does it say that?
Yahweh is described as one of the sons of El in Deuteronomy 32:8–9, but was removed by a later emendation to the text, so they say.....
Apparently the God El had 70 Sons (busy Man) one is Yahweh.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:08 AM
Master
Can you provide more information?

I can't really do anything with what was provided.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:30 PM
Molearner

Difficult to get noticed if you are just 1 of 70……….:)
Old 01-03-2024, 01:50 PM
Master
Exclamation

The first entity mentioned in the Bible is Elohim which is introduced in the very first scripture in the Bible. The account also begins with the first creation account.

As far as I am concerned, that scripture should have been written something like:

"In the beginning, Elohim created the Heaven(s) and the Earth."

The reason for this is that in Greek, there was/is no corresponding word for the word that gets transliterated as Elohim.
The word should have gotten transliterated so that it would sound similar to the Hebrew word when spoken in Greek and then later transliterated in to such diverse languages as English.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:01 PM
Master
THIS mistranslation probably was/is the largest, number one 'problem' with the Bible. Oddly, there is much reluctance to try to correct it.

But then, if we look at the deity mentioned in the second creation account, that deity has been removed from almost all Bibles.

Although, I have found that deity's name used over 6800 times in one Bible that is approved for Catholics. Apparently that Bible has a limited circulation.

Something else to note: there is very little discussion as to why there are two, separate creation accounts from two diverse entities.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Difficult to get noticed if you are just 1 of 70……….:)

I wonder if He remembered all their names