Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2024, 06:16 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryoldman
This begs the question: could some negative thoughts "disguise" themselves to be other thoughts...?

That reminds me of the saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I think humans are always following thoughts or ideas of beliefs they think are positive and good and moral, and doing things they think are good and spiritual and moral etc which end up causing horrible results and the opposite of good. End up hurting others or even themselves. I think it's not really the bad thoughts are disguising themselves as good thoughts, I think it's a person (consciousness) is not aware of enough. One does not understand enough or see the big picture. One needs more experience and understanding. It we knew or were aware of the negative outcomes of some seemingly positive thoughts, ideas or beliefs, we would never act on them or entertain them. As Krishnamurti often said, it's like seeing a snake. If you saw it, you would want nothing to do with it. The issue is we don't see the dangers or negative outcomes of identifying with thought.

I think all thoughts come before us, consciousness, and we ultimately are the gatekeepers deciding what thoughts to accept or reject. What thoughts to give our energy and attention and which to ignore. But knowing what is what takes wisdom and understanding which can only come though reflection and self awareness and lots and lots of experience. Many thousands of life times some say.

I think in a way we kind of live in a rigged game. Our brains and bodies and this mortal experience makes us self centered. We need food and housing and money and so on to stay alive. These are limited resources and others are also self centered after such things. Our cultures and societies then become a competitive place. So our bodies and brains I think are hardwired to be selfish in a way. Thoughts are generated from this conditioning of self centeredness and so that becomes a big part of what is in our brains as far as thoughts. It's me me me... as a person we get hurt easily by others not liking us or saying bad things to us or treating us bad. This self centered way of seeing the world and ourselves often does not stop even if we seek or practice spiritual things. So ego's becoming bigger with added religion and spiritual pursuits is not uncommon.