Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-08-2022, 05:51 AM
Master

How and Why

I read something the otherday which conflated the meaning of the words ‘How’ and ‘Why’ in a manner we are all familiar with.
The article said something like, “ Mary shut the window and that is How The window was shut.” “Why was the window shut ? Because Mary shut it,” was the answer.
This is probably common usage of both these terms but I couldn’t help thinking of another usage of the term Why in the context of the spiritual path.

The word 'Why' can be used in a Zen Koan type of way to bring the mind to a stop or a surrender. The word used in this context connotates the Mystery of the Self,
or the Big Mind, God or Awareness itself. People often don’t take kindly to Mystery and need to know the answers to everything. But it does seem that the Non Dual State,
God or the Big Mind cannot be fully or adequately described in words so they remain somewhat stuck in the common usage of the first example of How and Why applied
to the Non Dual State.
When the term Why is used in a Koan like way to stop the mind …it leads to what IS, to IS-Ness if you like. Just my own observation and experience and although probably obvious enough I felt I had to write it down, this somewhat puzzling little post. :)

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Last edited by Joe Mc : 27-08-2022 at 07:31 AM.