Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Spades
I am an-ex Christian myself, and I would be interested to hear about your process of moving out of Christianity? If you don't feel like putting it in the public, you can PM me if u want. I'd be curious to hear :)

Personally, I find it important to fully recognize both sides of Christianity (or any tradition, for that matter) the good and the bad. There is a lot of great stuff in the Bible that is still important to me, but only by being completely straightforward with myself about the bad stuff I can be free to embrace the good in it.

That is the way I see it. I feel like I gotta be honest and see them both, so I can reject the bad stuff and to be free to embrace, and be inspired by the good. I don't want to just subtly ignore the bad things, or explain my way around them, I want to fully reject it, not to act as if it doesn't exist.

Because of my Christian background it seems like I can not just ditch it completely without losing something of myself in the process. At least for now. So, if I am to keep some of the good elements from it, I think it's important for me to recognize the bad side of it, too, so I don't get caught in the dark side of it while trying to keep the good.

That is the way I want to see the Bible and the Christian tradition. To recognize both the darkness and the goodness in it. As the Bible says:
1.Thess: 5:21 "but test them all; hold on to what is good"
(That is a joke that only ex-Christians get )

I get this.
I do like to express myself here but do not want to offend anyone or be misunderstood. I am not saying that Christianity is bad, indeed, I still refer to the bible, it shows wisdom and knowledge But it seems to me that lots of comments I am reading here are content to not question what has been written in black and white. I have watched the you tube video on "Davidsuns" site. Its very interesting. Take a look.
I am open to listen to peoples views and respect all of them but it seems my own views are looked upon as if I should not be asking questions or questioning what I feel does not make sense.
My stories not that interesting really. I have been from church to church over the years trying to get answers. I have asked everyone to clarify things from fellow congregation, to the Vicar / Pastor / Father etc and have been met with smiles and comments such as "Just trust in God"..."Its not meant like that"..."Its meant differently".....I decided to stop going to church and to study further myself the bible and other beliefs and what I have found is a lot of wonderful things from many areas. I take the negative things on board too (so before anyone says I only want to hear the good, I will clarify this, as I believe the negative often has positivity if read correctly, ) My only problem is with blatant contradictions.
I respect all beliefs, just because I do not believe in something or choose to question does not mean I am condemned. If people are happy not to question then that is their prerogative and I respect that.
Your views do make a lot of sense to me. There are lots of people like us.
Some people may call it A lost soul etc..I laugh at this as I think im a pretty "Clued up" soul (as we say in England).
I don't claim to have all the answers, but I am happy.