Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 18-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Whats Next

Is our brain just the circuit board?

Talking just moments ago of "soul location" and how we interact physically and spiritually brings up many thoughts of course. Are we simply an energy form that, for the duration, adapts to this human body along a journey, but we have no idea when our journey began or where it will end. The times when we know we have been there before, or those moments when time is static and you can almost hear the universal tumblers clicking. Sorry, a little Terrance Mann coming out.
Have we been given a Ferrari and think we have a lawnmower?

......and please respond with a little soul.
Old 18-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whats Next
Have we been given a Ferrari and think we have a lawnmower?
Yes.

But this is understandable, considering what survival as an individual and as a species entails. For millions of years our desire to not be eaten by something else has maintained much of our conscious attention on fairly superficial things. What was that rustle in the woods? If I needed to run, then in which direction? I'm hungry, I know I can eat this, this and this.

Our bodies are designed over time to respond to physically based stimuli. And our "conscious" attention as a species has been tuned accordingly. What separates us from other species is our frontal lobes. Our ability to "imagine". We can visualize things in such a way that helps plan and practice potential outcomes ahead of time. We humans can employ symbolism as a means of exchange.

Being born into this body is to be born into the raw structure of the millions of years that precede us. Historically there was very little need to know what's going on inside of us. There still isn't that need to know if our soul purpose is to survive. So by default we are focused on the lawnmower aspect of our existence. We're always looking for what lawn to mow next.

But should we dig into the deeper ramifications of who and what we are then the Ferrari component starts to become clear. Our bodies are amazingly adaptable and deeply complex. The environment we find ourselves in is an amazing display of balance and sandwiched diversity. For everything we study we find that this complexity extends ever deeper and deeper into breathtaking possibilities and deepening implications.

But we don't need to know all this in order to survive. In terms of the physical, a lawnmower mentality is functional enough in order to propagate a physical species successfully.
Old 24-04-2015, 05:20 AM
Master

Yes the brain is just a computer. It believes what we put in it. Science can't for many reasons accept, that it is the MIND, which is the soul, or, consciousness, that CONTROLS the brain. Also, a non understanding of mind, soul, and consciousness. They work with the brain differently. Now this is why they never cross the border but are stuck believing brain is the end.
Old 25-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie
Yes the brain is just a computer.

A very powerful and organic computer. Our brains processing ability blows the doors off any current desktop. The lions share of that processing goes into keeping our body alive, with just a neeny weeny bit going to our "thinking" abilities (400 billion bits a second for the body, 4 thousand bits a second for conscious reflection).

Quote:
It believes what we put in it. Science can't for many reasons accept, that it is the MIND, which is the soul, or, consciousness, that CONTROLS the brain.
Okay, now I'm confused, If the soul CONTROLS the brain then wouldn't it control what it puts in it, there-fore we would only be believing what's been per-screened by the soul? And that would even be the case for scientist as well.

The brain itself is designed for "physical" survival. The soul seems to be found in the quite between pulses. The art of Mindfulness is an attempt to help quiet the brains influence so that a bit more of the soul could peek through. The soul seems to have little influence as to how the brain does what it does. It's the millions of years of evolution that tends to maintain those proclivities.

Quote:
They work with the brain differently. Now this is why they never cross the border but are stuck believing brain is the end.
Not the "current" science. There are theories being explored that suggest the possibility that our brains are mostly transceivers and that information itself is being stored in the universe in something of an akashic records effect. The science on this is still in the early stages but there are enough questions about the brain that currently haunt those looking into it that they are braking most molds and then watching where the revelations next takes them.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Cheesus Toast

Materialism is not necessarily science

Quote:
Yes the brain is just a computer. It believes what we put in it. Science can't for many reasons accept, that it is the MIND, which is the soul, or, consciousness, that CONTROLS the brain. Also, a non understanding of mind, soul, and consciousness. They work with the brain differently. Now this is why they never cross the border but are stuck believing brain is the end.

I would be inclined to point out that you are actually referring to materialism and not science specifically. I am at present a scientist but as a philosophical idealist I see the brain as an emergent property of the mind - not the other way around.

I agree that materialism has incurred upon science way too often. Some people will call something scientific when, in fact, it has no scientific value - it is merely materialism.

Empirical data related to studies of the brain may indicate that there is a relationship between thought and the brain. It is the materialist that then jumps to the conclusion that this is evidence that the "brain creates the mind" or that "the mind is an emergent property of the brain"!! To me those perspectives have no scientific value whatsoever - they are merely serving to provide an answer to people (I apologise in advance for any offence to certain people) who do not think that deeply at all!

Is this materialistic viewpoint actually causing problems? If I simply mention the billion dollar pharmaceutical industry and then depression - then we may be on to something. I think you will find many sufferers of depression which will have plenty to say about anti-depressants - and they are not all favourable. I see depression as a spiritual affliction. Others see things differently.
Old 25-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Lorelyen

The mind, then, to me is just this computer in the act of processing. It uses data drawn from various levels of database, some hidden from our immediate access (just like the huge data warehouses), some pre-wired and in the primitive parts of the brain, some imminent, drawn from the moment.

While it's doing all this processing it still manages to monitor and regulate our autonomous systems and provide interrupts to prioritise our attention.

Like, if you're walking beside someone exchanging views, it looks after your stride, keeps you on balance, and switches in various awareness channels that include some pre-processing, so if you spot someone you recognise or someone calls your name, your attention will be drawn to them.

It may be like a computer in some ways but no one knows how it operates the gating between neurones so that processing can proceed at all. With computers that's ultimately regulated by programs that compile into machine code. We do have programs, are programmed but no way in so comprehensive and definitive a way (as computer programs must be or they abend).

No way can computer programs extemporise like we can. No way can computers create - any creating they do will be the product of someone programming them.

Old 25-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen

No way can computer programs extemporise like we can. No way can computers create - any creating they do will be the product of someone programming them.

I easily agree. I would hate to marry a computer and try to coordinate a loving home in the process. We would forever be looking hopefully toward the next upgrade! :)
Old 26-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic born
I easily agree. I would hate to marry a computer and try to coordinate a loving home in the process. We would forever be looking hopefully toward the next upgrade! :)

LOL!! And if your computer and operating system is anything like mine, your significant other would be calling out for an 'update' every day (or if he/she really went nuts -would be calling out for one every time you took a nap and woke up!)

This is the conception (I wonder) of a new sit-com!
Old 28-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
LOL!! And if your computer and operating system is anything like mine, your significant other would be calling out for an 'update' every day (or if he/she really went nuts -would be calling out for one every time you took a nap and woke up!)

This is the conception (I wonder) of a new sit-com!

I bet a sit-com that involved an upgrade with every nap would eventually become so convoluted that it'd be impossible to follow. :)

As to a partner who happened to be a manufactured computer, I'm not sure such upgrades would be viable for sometime. It seems that our processing abilities as humans is so intense that to try in replicate that in one computer alone would require all the power of one decent sized hydro electric dam! Talk about Needy and High Maintenance! It looks like our current organic version as humans will still be the front-runner for some time to come! :)
Old 26-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Master

The soul is as often blocked by ego and ppl living in their lower desires. Blocking it out so the system,brain and body run on little fuel,kind of. Also why other parts of the minds blocked that has to do with the higher knowings and functionings. So the scientist if not open enough will not see. Thats where we go into frequences as next. Soul-mind(not to confuse with brain) communicates in wave frequency lengths energy. Then you suddenly get veery close to..God..