Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-09-2011, 12:09 AM
TeeHee

False Teachers & Prophets

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

True and False Prophets

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
Anyone want to add to this, oops lemme back track before anyone does add. For example saying that works plus salvation may make one a false teacher or prophet by what they add. Perhaps in receiving from tithing out of self interest like most televangelist on the Christian station on television? Jesus says that the broad way is the road that leads to destruction? Having said that, could one come to the conclusion that one can be helped in identifying a false teacher or prophet in that they teach the broad way? What way is broad to be exact?

I'm reminded of the old false prophets, in that they were not so false by what they said, but by what they did not say or had subtracted. For example saying that there will be a time for peace, but failing to say that there will first come tremendous hardships for the people through years of suppression, or that we first will not have to go through a wilderness.

It says that by their fruits that they will be known, but yet how do we know them? I realize that this chapter starts out with “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." But, Jesus then gives to us the ability to discern, or be the fruit inspector of others. By determining whether they are swine, or false teachers, or prophets. So what then is a good fruit, would Psalm 1 be a correct indicator?
Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.
4 Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.
This is what the didache has to say:

"Chapter 11. Concerning Teachers, Apostles, and Prophets. Whosoever, therefore, comes and teaches you all these things that have been said before, receive him. But if the teacher himself turns and teaches another doctrine to the destruction of this, hear him not. But if he teaches so as to increase righteousness and the knowledge of the Lord, receive him as the Lord. But concerning the apostles and prophets, act according to the decree of the Gospel. Let every apostle who comes to you be received as the Lord. But he shall not remain more than one day; or two days, if there's a need. But if he remains three days, he is a false prophet. And when the apostle goes away, let him take nothing but bread until he lodges. If he asks for money, he is a false prophet. And every prophet who speaks in the Spirit you shall neither try nor judge; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven. But not every one who speaks in the Spirit is a prophet; but only if he holds the ways of the Lord. Therefore from their ways shall the false prophet and the prophet be known. And every prophet who orders a meal in the Spirit does not eat it, unless he is indeed a false prophet. And every prophet who teaches the truth, but does not do what he teaches, is a false prophet. And every prophet, proved true, working unto the mystery of the Church in the world, yet not teaching others to do what he himself does, shall not be judged among you, for with God he has his judgment; for so did also the ancient prophets. But whoever says in the Spirit, Give me money, or something else, you shall not listen to him. But if he tells you to give for others' sake who are in need, let no one judge him."

Last edited by TeeHee : 23-09-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 23-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Tysklar

I belief the subject of the Broad Way is a reference to 'herd mentality'.
The Narrow Way, is a metaphor of someone that uses their own discernment.

Somebodies 'fruit' is the outcome of their actions, meaning; do not judge them by what they say, but by what they do...

There is no problem with being judged if you are in CHRIST.
If you're a good person it does not matter if you are judged, so you are able to judged others with impunity. Not least on their standing with The LORD.

Excellent post TeeHee, thank you for putting it together.

I feel like I am just repeating what is already said above, I hope to have helped clarify..?
Old 23-09-2011, 02:24 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysklar
I belief the subject of the Broad Way is a reference to 'herd mentality'.
The Narrow Way, is a metaphor of someone that uses their own discernment.

Somebodies 'fruit' is the outcome of their actions, meaning; do not judge them by what they say, but by what they do...

There is no problem with being judged if you are in CHRIST.
If you're a good person it does not matter if you are judged, so you are able to judged others with impunity. Not least on their standing with The LORD.

Excellent post TeeHee, thank you for putting it together.

I feel like I am just repeating what is already said above, I hope to have helped clarify..?

Thanks Tysklar, you added clarity and some ideas. The honor of judgment goes to Christ in the believer's life. To analyse a situation or even our fellow man when in love, that is, to give spiritual insight, not meaning that we are judging. The verse means that we are not to become the final arbitrator over Judgment.

That's often the most misquoted verse given from the Bible, and often used as an out when faced with having to say or do what is right.

Psalm 1 uses broad ways, the ease of using broad ways, how progressive the behavior becomes: to walk, then stand, and then to sit in the broad company associated with such a way.

Last edited by TeeHee : 23-09-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 23-09-2011, 07:35 AM
TeeHee

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
These verses had reminded me of the great magicians of Pharaoh. The magicians had to a point, done things that are unexplained. It is a mystery in regards to the demonic and the power of the fallen angels. Where the Bible is silent, these things are probably best left unknown.

Think about how these magicians were able to do things up to a limitation. The power of Satan is likened to a counterfeiter, who never himself created anything, but only perverts things, and presents counterfeit doctrine. It was as if God had said enough, in that Moses was able surpass the abilities of the magicians. Also, it is a wonder, in using the authority in the name of Jesus that God allows or can still work through these people and turn these evil things into good.

What does Jesus mean, by saying that, "Then I will tell them plainly, I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers?" Perhaps this is all about having a relationship with Jesus? People can heal or claim to do things in the name of Jesus, but without a personal relationship they're unknown to Him. Sure people can quote the words, read the book, say what others wrote in doctrine....

But can anyone of us really be certain of our salvation? I mean when we take the above scriptures, does that not strike within us some doubt? The sinners, the worse of society, the ones who have repented and gone through a life changing transformation by following Jesus. Are they not the true Christians? What prevents people from forming a relationship with Jesus? Is it that they don't have the intellectual capacity, probably not. Is it that their is a moral issue, in that they don't want things to change from how they are?

Then what more about the people who can say the right things and cast out demons and yet never be known? What about the Rabbis who never could come up with something original in the time of Jesus, who were always quoting from another Rabbi, why was Jesus able to say these things that brought to light what others referred to and described as a man who spoke with authority?

Please make this a fun thread continuing on with scripture, post any comments, share what's on your mind in regards to the scripture, otherwise its just turning into a sort of a rant. Anyone care to add or share what comes to mind in the below scripture?
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
Old 23-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Master
This comes to mind as much more spiritual.

"And an old priest said, "Speak to us of Religion." And he said:
Have I spoken this day of aught else?
Is not religion all deeds and all reflection,
And that which is neither deed nor reflection, but a wonder and a surprise ever springing in the soul, even while the hands hew the stone or tend the loom?
Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations?
Who can spread his hours before him, saying, "This for God and this for myself; This for my soul, and this other for my body?"
All your hours are wings that beat through space from self to self.
He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked.
The wind and the sun will tear no holes in his skin.
And he who defines his conduct by ethics imprisons his song-bird in a cage.
The freest song comes not through bars and wires.
And he to whom worshipping is a window, to open but also to shut, has not yet visited the house of his soul whose windows are from dawn to dawn.
Your daily life is your temple and your religion.
Whenever you enter into it take with you your all.
Take the plough and the forge and the mallet and the lute,
The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight.
For in reverie you cannot rise above your achievements nor fall lower than your failures.
And take with you all men:
For in adoration you cannot fly higher than their hopes nor humble yourself lower than their despair.
And if you would know God be not therefore a solver of riddles.
Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children.
And look into space; you shall see Him walking in the cloud, outstretching His arms in the lightning and descending in rain.
You shall see Him smiling in flowers, then rising and waving His hands in trees."
Kahlil Gibran - much better !

Old 23-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
[indent][color="Red"][b] I]

Jesus explained what he meant by the two gates, (Matt.7:13,14- Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it).

what Jesus was saying is... the wide gate has many who does NOT either follow his teachings right, or follow them at all. this gate,(some bible says road, same differents), is crowded. these are the ones who will be destroyed. the narrow gate,(or road), leads to everlasting life. there's not many here.

Matt.12:33- Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. is referring to false leaders,("the tree"), "and his fruit" ,(his teachings). there have always been false teachings, from the days of Moses,to now.

but God's word shows not ALL ministers are sent by him. instead,(though many would hate to believe even God's word), they are sent by satan ,
(2Cor.-11:13-15, For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works). so with false ministers,their flocks will teach falsely.

you said..."I'm reminded of the old false prophets, in that they were not so false by what they said, but by what they did not say or had subtracted" so is today,any who add or take away are false prophets. it's the same as ignoring what Jesus said, and teaching what many wants to hear.

Jehovah God word show,if one refuses to hear the truth,and wants to believe a lie. he will help them to continue believing that lie. which will cause their lives, (2Thess.2:10-12, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness).

Jesus show that it'll be easy to know who's teaching they truth. but this is for those who's truely seeking,with no holdbacks. meaning they're not afraid of losing ANYONE. be-it lover,family,friends,or society. any who fears losing something,or someone.won't serve the God of Israel,(Jehovah). as Jesus basically said we should. IF we want to be seen as his spiritual family ,(Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother).

also many won't know the truth,or believe the truth,because they want to be part of the world. which makes one an enemy of God,(Jesus and his Father).
(James 4:4), (1John 2:15,16) ,(Rom.12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God). many of us wants to be part of the world, and play followers of Jesus, we can't!

"Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take " many who claim to follow Jesus,they walk in steps with the wicked. how so?...many sits in their place of worship acting so holy. yet they're fornicators,adulterers, homosexuals, hanging around places a "christian" shouldn't be. these are the ones that won't follow all truth,or even teach it.

exam. ,how would it look to a non-believer, if a fornicating christian say,...you shouldn't fornicate,God hates the act. when that person you're trying to witness to KNOWS you're a fornicator? a gay minister,(who's not sent by Jehovah God,or acknowledged by Jesus), say "all gays come in, God doesn't care if you're gay". knowing there's God's word which shows how he feel concerning the act. these two groups are false prophets, because they refuse to teach the truth. why?..because they're also living a way unpleasing to God. a way they WANT to live. peace
Old 23-09-2011, 08:11 PM
TeeHee

Thanks jojo50 for your time and additions . Some other thoughts...

Jesus doesn’t intend to present himself in the broad way and then once we enter in present it as a narrow way. Doesn’t that speak for the tendency many have today? If we make a connection and get them to come or be a part of what we do, or say that church isn’t a bad place after all, then we can explain the more radical attributes of Christianity. The problem is that when people come in through the broad way, they continue in using the broad way.

It’s not going to be easy or a walk in the park, the foxes have holes and the son of man has no place to lay his head, are you sure you want to follow him? Jesus says it is difficult from right at the beginning. Let anyone who wants to come after me, pick up his cross and follow me. He wants everyone to understand what this is going to look like for people who want to follow in the Christian way.
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
What makes up a strong foundation? What makes up the solid rock that building upon assures us that we are going to withstand the very difficult trials of life? Whoever hears these words and sayings of mine, and does them, that is to hear, to hear the sayings of Jesus since chapter five's Sermon on the Mount, hearing those words and doing them is building a house on the rock.

These are foundational, the poor in spirit, meekness, and so and so. In the application its a matter of the heart as opposed to the letter, as something heart based. I have to look at adultry as something mental and heart based not just the physical act, murder as something hateful, and disdainful, as opposed to the physical act. An oath, as something to fulfill, instead of something that has a loophole, the yes to mean yes and the no to mean no. I have to look up to the Sermon on the Mount and want it to be in my life, I don’t do them in front of men to be seen by men, but have to do them in a manner without the left hand knowing.

I'm reminded of the person who hears on stony ground and when the sun rises, the word, the seed that was planted, dies, because it can’t handle the heat or trials of this life. There needs to be a careful entrance through repentance, through faith in Christ and also with a willingness to leave everything behind, we can’t bring baggage with us, the baggage of worldliness, selfish ambitions, the baggage full of wanting to live the life the way we darn well please. Grace and power, that is what we may find, the ways we will never discover through the broad way, liberty, freedom to do what we want is not freedom, that is bondage, that is, the things that I once thought freed me ended up imprisoning me. I can say no to things like that and yes to things like the joy of God, that’s the greatest freedom in the world.
Old 20-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Master
matthew 7 NIV
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

I always took that as Jesus criticism of the hypocritical lives pharisees and what they taught.

Jesus was as equally opposed to people thinking they are better than anyone else. Jesus never hung out with many christians, there were non at first.
He hung out with prostitutes and thieves.
He changed lives in the unloved and uncared for.

Jesus is that narrow way.

Many chose the other that is their choice we can stil hang out and be nice about it.

Paul wrote the book of Corinthians

19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

if you want to rid your life of false teachers just turn the TV off There is more false teaching there than anywhere! I think the internet is not far off.
Old 20-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
if you want to rid your life of false teachers just turn the TV off There is more false teaching there than anywhere! I think the internet is not far off.
What if we simply turned off the fearful notions and ideas that run thru our minds, such as the idea that there's something wrong and false with this or that? There are ideas and teachings we personally gravitate towards, and those we don't, that's all. And no amount of TV watching or internet surfing changes or affects that.
Old 20-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Master
[quote=lightworkerAu]Paul wrote the book of Corinthians
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
[quote]

This is so beautiful, and underscores true christian /spiritual values. When someone is prepared to humble themselves just to help others, to get the divine messsage to them through a display of love and humility by nestling yourselves along with them in their world no matter how down trodden it is. This is really what we should focus on, the spirit of jesus teachings, the selfless love, not spend all of our time agonising over every syllable of a sentence.