Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 PM
embrace

I can't meditate!

Everything I want to learn about and study and be involved in spiritually is so reliant on meditation. I can't meditate though!

Either I have no clue what I am doing, and I have read a lot on meditation and it all says there is no wrong way to meditate but what if you can't do it?

I am very very much a show me then I can do it type of learner, and for meditation everything I have read is basically no one can teach you how to meditate you just do it.

I can't, my mind wonders, I can't stop thinking, I can't sit still, I am ashamed to say I get bored.

It hurts me, because this is something I want so badly, something I need, something that is the beginning of everything I strive to learn and do.

Please help... I don't know how you can but I am lost.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Henri77

Have you tried any form of movement meditation? Tai Chi, Chi Gong?
I've found this easier-more natural (for me) than still-sitting meditation
Also I've found listening to Eckhardt Tolle "creates" a natural meditative state. It seems a gift he possesses.

Also, perhaps others with your challenge can offer suggestions specially effective for them.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Chris_IAP

I know the feeling. I over-analyze everything I do as well.
I had the same problem as well I solved it by taking it slow and step by step.

Start by just meditating for 1 minute and when that feels comfortable try 5 minutes and so on. Now I am able to focus on my breath for 1 hour!

Good luck =D
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM
trappedinabody

i have the same problem! taking it in small steps makes sense, i will try this!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Henri77

Thinking- reading, alone will get you nowhere.

Riding a bike, skating, isn't tough, but requires practice, and a few falls.
Something that thought alone cannot teach one.

You may love cinnamon ice cream, but till you actually taste it, you'll never know this.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 PM
oliness

That is the mind. That is thought. That is what your mind is been doing because it has got into the habit of doing that. Everything about ourselves is really only a habit. It seems to be fixed because it is habitual, but it can be changed. Watch your mind, witness these thoughts and emotions. Eventually they shall calm down and then you will have the habit of a peaceful mind.
Old 15-05-2012, 02:47 AM
luizcalencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrace
Everything I want to learn about and study and be involved in spiritually is so reliant on meditation. I can't meditate though!

Either I have no clue what I am doing, and I have read a lot on meditation and it all says there is no wrong way to meditate but what if you can't do it?

I am very very much a show me then I can do it type of learner, and for meditation everything I have read is basically no one can teach you how to meditate you just do it.

I can't, my mind wonders, I can't stop thinking, I can't sit still, I am ashamed to say I get bored.

It hurts me, because this is something I want so badly, something I need, something that is the beginning of everything I strive to learn and do.

Please help... I don't know how you can but I am lost.

Be naive, inoccent and relax! When you catch yourself drifting, remind yourself that you have no reason to be thinking about anything!
Have you tried transcendental meditation?
Old 15-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Henri77

BTW, a very well known intuitive-psychic advises against relying on meditation, to achieve such awareness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfqQe...feature=relmfu

Her reasoning is that when we often need intuition-awareness, in daily life we cannot stop to "zen out" (as she puts it) and feels it's best to learn to do this "on our feet" for it to be a useful skill.

This is an attitude one doesn't often hear, but I can attest that it's worth considering.

When I was giving readings in a spiritualist church, i learned to be aware of both inner & outer reality simultaneously, and our teacher didn't encourage meditation at all, somewhat like Laura.

However I also recommend checking out Eckhardt Tolle, as his talks often make one aware that meditation-consciousness is an everpresent state, that exists between thoughts.

There are a gazillion forms of meditation. You're bound to find something that works, to get started.

Learning a new skill may seem like work, but mastering any instrument ,art, sport takes some practice before it's usually fun.

So, it isn't necessarily hopeless.... but DOES require attentiveness and some ability to focus....where you wish to.
Old 15-05-2012, 06:06 PM
HeavenlyKevinly

if you seem to be too antsy, then your better off not meditating at that time, don't force it. Instead, trying meditation right before you usually go to sleep. Everyone naturally meditates before the fall asleep, but since your lying down you drift out of (or into) consciousness, depending on how you look at it. Before you fall asleep your "minds eye" or "third eye/ 6th chakra" what ever you want to label it, displays hypnagogic imagery, try putting your attention there using your imagination for what you are seeing, and be aware of each natural breath you take, this should distract you from thought patterns such as " this isnt working" or "im not doing anything." Your thoughts will always come and go like passing clouds. the goal is to be aware that you are having a thought and to let it pass by. A common mistake people make is getting sidetracked by thoughts, when you focus on thoughts and give them meaning it attracts more thoughts and you end up with an over active mind, not suitable for proper mediation. I also think your expectations are too high, it seems to me that you are a beginner, and you should try and learn that you are not your thoughts. do you know what you will be thinking about in 30 seconds? Just passively let your thoughts and ego drift away. focus on the ringing in your ears, the energy in your core, and the sensations of touch and placement.

Relax, you might be trying to hard. Don't expect to be comfortable in a full lotus position and and come in contact with the spirit world like "ang the last air bender" at an early stage, practice, practice, practice. sit back with your back straight maybe against a wall or chair. and picture yourself as the divine being you are, with a serious face on.

also meditation upon waking is useful. also try drinking yerba mate instead of coffee. this is what works for me.

I wish you the best.
Old 15-05-2012, 06:09 PM
HeavenlyKevinly

also don't follow peoples rules for meditation. there really is no ultimate guide for how to meditate. the people who are most successful in meditation are the ones who have made there own pathway. meditation is a very personal experience and should be a reflection of what you find comfortable.