Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 AM
BlackFox

Question Religious Dilemma, HELP!

I've always loved Buddhism, it resonates deeply with me. But my great-grandparents want me to be a Christian....i don't want to disapoint them but i don't really believe in the Bible. what should i do?!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Master
Your grand-parents will have to grow spiritually and realize that love is letting go, not imprisoning someone to their own beliefs, even great grand-parents need to grow up sometimes, you don't obtain wisdom through your age, it is something that comes from within.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Master
It's my understanding that Buddhism isn't at all like Christianity, in that you can be both, actually. Buddhism doesn't require belief in a "God" so if you say you don't 'believe' in the Christian Bible, I mean how well do you know the Christian Bible to actually make that claim? Like all books, there is some 'good' or substance to it to 'believe'. That's the real beauty of Buddhism. I mean what do your grandfolks expect you to do? Go to church with them? I believe and feel you can be magnanamous and show them your generous spirit and respect by attending church with them, if that's what they would like. You don't have to do a lot of 'talking' about how you believe, you obviously believe in loving and respecting your elders and I think that's a cool thing. My 2 cents.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
It's my understanding that Buddhism isn't at all like Christianity, in that you can be both, actually. Buddhism doesn't require belief in a "God" so if you say you don't 'believe' in the Christian Bible, I mean how well do you know the Christian Bible to actually make that claim? Like all books, there is some 'good' or substance to it to 'believe'. That's the real beauty of Buddhism. I mean what do your grandfolks expect you to do? Go to church with them? I believe and feel you can be magnanamous and show them your generous spirit and respect by attending church with them, if that's what they would like. You don't have to do a lot of 'talking' about how you believe, you obviously believe in loving and respecting your elders and I think that's a cool thing. My 2 cents.

I agree with this advice. But if you decide to go to church out of respect for your grandparents, do not force the issue either. What I mean by forcing the issue is that if you go to church with them and find the messages negative or filled with fear.. and it makes you squirm in discomfort on the inside... then be honest with your elders and do not put yourself through that kind of turmoil.

If the experience is positive and makes you feel good... then of course, no harm done, continue with it.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM
pre-dawn

Quote:
It's my understanding that Buddhism isn't at all like Christianity, in that you can be both, actually. Buddhism doesn't require belief in a "God" so if you say you don't 'believe' in the Christian Bible, I mean how well do you know the Christian Bible to actually make that claim? Like all books, there is some 'good' or substance to it to 'believe'. That's the real beauty of Buddhism.
So you think that Buddhism can go with anything, like e.g. being a Satanist Buddhist? This is not that much different from being a Christian Buddhist. I don't it works that way. Christianity has some ground rules and so does Buddhism and the 2 sets are sufficiently different that one cannot mix them unless one advocates spirituality on the most superficial level only.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Master
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
So you think that Buddhism can go with anything, like e.g. being a Satanist Buddhist? This is not that much different from being a Christian Buddhist. I don't it works that way. Christianity has some ground rules and so does Buddhism and the 2 sets are sufficiently different that one cannot mix them unless one advocates spirituality on the most superficial level only.

Hee, I most assuredly did not mean to take it THAT far, pre-dawn, LOL! Since I was referring to BlackFox's specific situation. As I said it was my understanding, and I mean just from a smattering of information that I've happened upon, I haven't done or claimed to have done any in-depth research on Buddhism. But I thought that going to visit a friend's church, as friends and family often do invite one another to their respective houses of worship just because they're close, not because they're trying to convert, but either way, visiting one another's houses of faith isn't going to cause a rain-down of thunderbolts and lightning, methinks.

I understand what you'r saying, though.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Pathfinder

Hello BlackFox,
There is some common ground between Mystical Christianity and certain sects of Buddhism. Like Christianity, Buddhism has many different schools and ways, sects. I am merely suggesting that you may find what you are looking for within Mystical Christianity. This way you would not be offending your grandparents and you would be learning about Esoteric/Inner Christianity. It is up to you in the end.
Much Love to You,
Saint Seraphim
Old 13-04-2011, 05:30 AM
agiosotheos

Quote:

Going to church is about going to worship the Holy Trinity. Going to church to please someone else lacks integrity and should not be done.
Old 13-04-2011, 05:31 AM
agiosotheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Your grand-parents will have to grow spiritually and realize that love is letting go, not imprisoning someone to their own beliefs, even great grand-parents need to grow up sometimes, you don't obtain wisdom through your age, it is something that comes from within.

I agree with this answer much more.
Old 14-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Pathfinder

BlackFox,
In addition to what I said earlier I would add that you should listen to your Grandparents for they truly Love You and care about you and have much wisdom in which you can learn from. There is nothing wrong with the Faith of Our Grand fathers and Grandmothers. Christianity is a beautiful and Loving Way of Spirituality.
Much Love to you,
Saint Seraphim