Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 25-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Guide

Church Bans Fat Members From Worship Team

An Oregon church which came under fire in recent weeks for instituting a ban on fat people as part of a slew of mandatory guidelines to be a part of the congregation's worship team, apologized for the ban on Saturday and begged forgiveness to anyone their rules may have offended.
source

The ban

A.Dress Code
•Our main goal is to look professional and our dress should always be modest, as we are not only representing Christ, but Pastor and New Creation Church

B.Grooming and Hygiene
•Hair must be washed, nicely groomed and kept neat and clean; no sloppy hairdos or
excessively wild styles that draw undue attention.

The Resulting Tap Dance:

"There has been some media circulating about our Worship Team Guidelines. Forgive us if we offended anyone. That certainly was not our intention. These guidelines have never been used to discriminate against anyone and have never been enforced," New Creation Church in Hillsboro declared in the terse apology posted on its website in reaction to the online backlash that ensued after details of their "Worship Team Guidelines" came under recent scrutiny.
source

(All emphases mine)

But no intended discrimination? Yeah sure!!

So what's your opinion of such a controlling organization. Excessive? Goofy? Frightening? Reassuring? Right on target?

My opinion is that it's a bit sick. There's a church in my community that's best known by its alias: _ _ _ _ _ _ Community Concentration Camp because the pastor and his minions are so controlling. (Why people go there is a true puzzle.)

Last edited by Gracey : 26-10-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 25-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Deactivated Account
Good afternoon Jared

Someone got some wacked ideas lol
Old 25-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Master
The weight thing is a little odd, I mean are people not supposed to go if they are heavy? Having said that, real spirituality is a discipine, and the rest of the stuff is quite simply about setting standards, which is discipline.
Old 25-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Lorelyen

[quote]A.Dress Code
•Our main goal is to look professional and our dress should always be modest, as we are not only representing Christ, but Pastor and New Creation Church

Hahahahahah! God, take note. They don't like how you presented humans.

Reminds me of a time in my late teens when I got conned into being assistant deputy organist at a local church. (I wasn't religious but longed to learn to play the organ) I'd play bare-footed a) because I couldn't reach the pedal board too well and b) I was never good at footwork so wanted to stack the odds of no-wrong-notes in my favour. I mean, a wrong pedal note sounds out like the world's worst sore thumb, especially if you're playing full organ!
The vicar spotted me slipping my shoes on, recoiled with horror and asked why barefoot. I explained. I wondered if he thought I should play the manuals (keyboards) with gloves on.... same difference to me. You don't play a keyboard with gloves, why a pedalboard with shoes?

Nothing happened but I felt the disdain and gradually withdrew from the position!

Last edited by Gracey : 26-10-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 25-10-2016, 02:58 PM
55Degrees

That is disgraceful!!!! I'm sure God doesn't give an owl's hoot how you present your physical self, it's the spirit within the vehicle that counts. How dare anyone make someone feel less worthy of praising/representing their deity because they don't fit their criteria.

Who would want to learn about God from such judgemental people?

They'd have a field day with me, I'm covered in tattoos, have a shaven head and live in old jeans, hoodies and Doc Martin boots (and yes, I'm female).

Allowing individuality (and self expression) would surely be more beneficial to their cause by making those less conventional souls feel they would 'fit in'.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm absolutely stunned by this.
Old 25-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Master
It really sounds like they are grooming their members for whomever, so the weight thing would then be very important. So as to only cultivate men and women that the powers that be could then prey on for sex, under the guise of their spiritual authority.

Yes it does sound cult-like and unsavoury.

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 25-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Master

It saddens me to watch how the Christian church has changed and become something so worldly rather than Godly.
Old 25-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Lorelyen

Just to be devil's advocate for a moment, it is an organised branch of the Christian church and as such it should set a decent social example. I can't think of a church that would like scruffy priests or choirpeople turning up in all and sundry. Which doesn't mean it's valid and brings people closer to God. Nor does it mean that the whole shebang is spiritual.
You need only look at the riches heaped on dress code in he Vatican frinstance to see how important it is to these people.

Did you know the Pope even wears swim-trunks in the bath. He hates looking down on the unemployed....

God's probably shaking "his" head incredulous' perplexed. Oh dear......

Old 25-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Master
LOL...I agree there's no need to wear shorts or ripped & torns...BUT...the part about weight is a long-term and/or individual issue for many.

It cannot be fixed on Sunday morning with the proper dress code and constitutes a real form of discrimination. It does smack of some weird sort of grooming, along with the bit about breath mints and so forth. Really?

It also makes only maxi skirts or similar long skirts appropriate...also weird.
I suppose they prefer trousers & jeans in order to showcase the merch...LOL...sorry...couldn't help it

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 25-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Master

Nothing wrong with asking people to dress and conduct themselves respectfully, but ...
It's the heart and soul that matters.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com