Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 24-01-2011, 02:16 PM
gem_layla16

Conflicting Spirituality

I am very spiritual, i don't hold any particular belief pattern or religion, but i have had experiences, i like to meditate and am going to learn to practise Reiki soon, but my partner is an atheist and i find it hard to talk to him about some of these weird things that happen to me; synchronism and dreams which are i know signs for me and part of my journey, he finds it funny and i don't feel he respects my spirituality.

I love him a lot and he loves me but i'm worried in the future that we will clash on these issues, has anyone else had problems with this? Sometimes i think he feels im a bit looney, which i know i am not.

Thanks
Old 24-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Experiencer

I've definately been there, but it's worked out for me. Matter of fact, my husband still thinks I'm a bit loony, but says he likes that about me. And that's ok with me that he's not always on the same page as me... it makes life interesting that we have our differences.

Little by little, I can see I've influenced him too. Not that I've set out to do that, but he has really surprised me sometimes now. Not that he's a believer in the things I believe, but he's grown much more interested. He's even read some of my books on spiritual topics and things like that.

You have to decide if this difference between you is really going to bother you in the future, or whether it's something you can live with. Is he worth it? Only you can know if you are willing to have such different beliefs as a partner does. For me it works, but I know that's not everybody. Plus, to be quite honest, a distancing will probably always exist because you are not both on the same page. For instance, I love my hubby dearly, but there are things which I decide not to discuss with him. That can be a difficult thing because it's such a huge part of my life.

The thing is, if the timing were different, I'm not sure what I would have done about this. I didn't begin travelling my spiritual path until long after we were married and had a child together.

And I'm so glad we were already so committed to each other because he really is just the best partner, father, and husband. Slowly now we are comming together on beliefs just a little bit. And he's supportive, even if he thinks I'm crazy. He likes that about me. But I don't push my stuff on him... you can't do that. So I just don't talk with him much on this stuff unless he brings it up. and he doesn't too often so thank goodness for this forum - It's a good place for me to express and nuture my beliefs.
Old 24-01-2011, 02:51 PM
pre-dawn

Hmm, what is your spirituality? Is it something that makes sense as a system or is it just a happy-go lucky collection of ideas which have grabbed your fancy?

You are a young female, have 'experiences' no doubt valid for you but inexplicable to him, you see synchronicities where he probably sees easily explained coincidences, you belief that your dreams are signs whereas his dreams may be an accumulation of nonsensical happenings. Any atheist is likely look at you with some doubt in his/her mind. How could he possibly make sense out of what you report?

If you want to be understood you need to find some ideas within which all the things you describe can make sense.

IMO, the "I hold no particular belief pattern" is a recipe for disaster, not only for relationships and social interactions, but also for oneself.

Go well...
Old 24-01-2011, 04:10 PM
gem_layla16

Smile

It's not that im all scatty, its just that i have lots of things going on and i still haven't formed a full opinion on everything i believe (spiritually), which i think is a good thing, i could go one path and stick a lable on myself but for me it doesn't feel right, you constantly learn in life and that it all im doing.

It's more that he would laugh if i told him something and i find it insulting, and i know this is something for me and him to discuss more and i have told him he should try to respect me for my beliefs as i respect him for his, i do not wish to change his mind or make him think like me, but respect is paramount, i just hope that we can both live in harmony with our separate views.
Old 24-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Enya

One of the difficult things about opening to spiritual changes is realising that your partner may never walk the same path as you. This can make life a little lonely, since you want to share and you can't. However, if your partner fully supports you in your quest for answers, honestly wishes you to be as fulfilled as possible and provides an anchor when you go 'weeee....' out there somewhere, then count yourself lucky and appreciate what you've got instead of worrying about a future which hasn't happened.

That's how it works for me and my partner. To gain respect, first give it to yourself.
Old 24-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Guthee

I understand
My boyfriend is the same way, even goes as far to force me to follow holidays like Christmas and other christian things. Along with ignoring my beliefs while hes at it.

but if he respects you and you respect him things will work out :)
Old 24-01-2011, 07:44 PM
shepherd

The issue will may always be respect. You might not respect his atheist views and as he is an atheist, he will never respect yours either. There is no common ground there with these beliefs.

If you can never talk about them then you have a chance, but if you want a relationship where you can share this stuff then this isnt the one for you.
Old 24-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Experiencer

Atheism can mean a lot.

I don't believe in the theistic God, as a remote being up in the Sky, reachable only through some priest, as presented by mainstream Christianity. That would make me an atheist!

However I do believe in an inner truth. I believe God is within. I believe we can reach a higher state of consciousness.
Atheism can be the first step to true freedom, a release from the mainstream tyranny. The nature of duality, however, tries to suck us to the other extreme of materialism.

If you can free yourself from the egoic need to follow an authority, you are able to find the truth.

Jesus would have been an atheist, by that definition! He challenged the elite of high priests.

Have you seen The Ongoing Revolution in Consciousness ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS_x6WJ-z0A
Old 24-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem_layla16
I am very spiritual, i don't hold any particular belief pattern or religion, but i have had experiences, i like to meditate and am going to learn to practise Reiki soon, but my partner is an atheist and i find it hard to talk to him about some of these weird things that happen to me; synchronism and dreams which are i know signs for me and part of my journey, he finds it funny and i don't feel he respects my spirituality.
I love him a lot and he loves me but i'm worried in the future that we will clash on these issues, has anyone else had problems with this? Sometimes i think he feels im a bit looney, which i know i am not.
Even people who do have beliefs will probably have very different beliefs from you again.
Differences will always be there.. If you think he's seeing you as a loon, why not try to talk about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J
However I do believe in an inner truth. I believe God is within. I believe we can reach a higher state of consciousness.
Atheism can be the first step to true freedom, a release from the mainstream tyranny. The nature of duality, however, tries to suck us to the other extreme of materialism.
Belief in god without or within, either way.. it's still the extreme opposite of materialism.
Difference is.. you have replaced god with self.

I don't believe in the deities so in that sense I'm an atheist.
But all the inner gods, souls, and stuff like that is rather subjective so I don't take that for ultimate truth either.
Agnosticism I guess..
Old 24-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Even people who do have beliefs will probably have very different beliefs from you again.
Differences will always be there.. If you think he's seeing you as a loon, why not try to talk about it?
Belief in god without or within, either way.. it's still the extreme opposite of materialism.
Difference is.. you have replaced god with self.

I don't believe in the deities so in that sense I'm an atheist.
But all the inner gods, souls, and stuff like that is rather subjective so I don't take that for ultimate truth either.
Agnosticism I guess..

Look at that video. I think you will like it.