Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 07-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Deactivated Account

being a medium ?

Is being a medium, something one chooses to be ?

or is a person born with these abilities ?

Adrienne

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 07-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Experiencer
Hi Adrienne,

To answer both your questions at once: I think you are born with the ability and then you choose to use it or not.

Boson
Old 07-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Everly

Good question. Boson makes a good point. I know a few people who have taken courses/classes and learned to be mediums. I know some who just had it full-on from the beginning. But was it just dormant in the ones who took classes? I don't know for sure, but it seems like the ability has to be in there somewhere in order for it to be used at all.

If the brain is damaged in some way, we might not have the ability to do certain things. But if the brain is healthy and whole, we can use it in amazing ways, even if we choose not to. One example is learning a new language. How many of us want to, but just don't (for whatever reasons)? We can, but we choose not to. So perhaps Boson is right on.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Deactivated Account

Thank you Boson and Everly. I had heard something similar about psychics, and everyone being born with psychic abilities and just needing to refresh our memories on how to use these abilities.

I thought with a medium it was different ? When I think of a medium I think of it being so much more than just communications with ones on the Other Side. Like if one is an earth bound spirit, then a medium would be one to help them cross into the light (or however one choses to phrase it, I am not sure on exact terminlology)

Expect Miracles !

Old 07-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Deactivated Account

And regarding taking classes to become a medium, I always wondered if one had to have some connection to being one already ...... which fits into the idea of being born with the ability and then choosing to use it. Taking the classes for developing mediumship, being helpful of course !

Expect Miracles !

Old 07-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Experiencer
Hi,

About the distinction beween a psychic and a medium, I have heard people say that not all psychic is a medium but all mediums are psychic. I don't know if that's true. Because I think if you are close to the Divine in your heart then you should be able to assist spirits across to the other side without any special psychic abilities, but I still think.there is a piece of you that you were born with to be a medium.

Boson

Boson
Old 07-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Deactivated Account

Psychic abilities run in my family, but nobody has shown any signs of mediumship. It's intuition and empathic abilities mostly. But I'm supposedly on the path to having medium abilities because I'm so open. It's just a matter of overcoming fear for me.

I honestly think anyone could become a medium if the desire is there and they reach a level of spiritual openness, though. We're all born with these abilities but most people "shut the door" because it can be alienating.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Administrator
I an both a medium and a psychic I was born with it, to me its who I am

Namaste
Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Deactivated Account

Thank you also, Boson, gravitysrainbow and Native Spirit for your replies.

Expect Miracles !

Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 AM
Everly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boson
that not all psychic is a medium but all mediums are psychic.

I think it's true. While I'm a pretty good psychic, I'm not a reliable medium. By that, I mean that mediumship is usually spontaneous for me. It just happens. When it comes through, it's good information, but I haven't been able to turn it off and on. Either they come through (usually unbidden) or they don't.

As for nature or nurture... I don't know for sure. As I said, Boson's first response seems to make sense. I have an old high school friend who, along with his wife, studied at Cassadaga and then at Arthur Findlay College in England. They do what's called a "double link" where they both connect with the person who's passed. Was the ability there, albeit latent, or was it wholly developed by their own desire to learn? I don't know.

I tell my students and clients this: Yeah, yeah, it's true that we all have psychic ability. But some just have more of it. Just as most of us can bang out "Chopsticks" on the piano, not many of us can become concert pianists who play Beethoven with ease. So, too, have most of us experienced an "odd" thing or two (or more), but not all will be able to be full-on psychics. The same with athletic ability. Most of us can kick a ball around but few of us can be professional soccer players.