Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 20-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Master

Protein

I've been reading about protein, how it wakes you up, improves cognitive performance and all sorts of things. We crave carbs typically when sleepy which perversely make us more tired but really we should be snacking on almonds and protein.

So, how can I have a diet rich in protein and low - not zero - in carbs and anyone else have any experience with that?
Old 20-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Bodhi_Spirit

Can I ask why you want to go on a low carb diet?
Old 21-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Master

Just from what I've been reading, that the digestion of carbs is tricky and a diet of protein and veg and fruit might help me be more alert, switched on and brighter.

I'm such a carb junkie, can't get enough.
Old 21-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Bodhi_Spirit

Ah okay I understand. If I might make a suggestion have you ever thought about following your Macronutrient Needs? It get a little complicated when figuring what's right for you but your body also needs carbs to function properly.
I found that for the longest time I wasn't getting enough carbs for my activity level. It made a huge difference for me when I added a little more to my diet. Here's a link I found useful on a forum explaining how to figure out your caloric and macronutrient needs. However I do agree that more fruits and veggies are a good thing to have.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1703981&page=1
Old 21-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Master

Thank you Izzyga. I completely agree about the need for carbs but I want to live according to what I need, food is so emotional for me and I want to adjust that so food is a pleasure and fuel. Carbs exacerbate the issue.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Master
Carburetors?
Old 21-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Newfreedom9

Greens are quite high in protein, and low in calories. So salad is a great choice. Beans and lentils are high in protein too.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Bodhi_Spirit

Well if food is an emotional issue maybe try a little meditation too. My girlfriend has the same relationship with food she say's shes an emotional eater. So with her I've taught her a few simple meditations and try to encourage her to sit down and meditate at least once a day. Personally I feel it's important to just learn to relax, meditate, then listen to our bodies and minds when dealing with any habits we want to cut out of our lives. So then when we start to detach ourselves from our habits and look at the nuts and bolts of it all it makes more sense.

I was a smoker for years and I was finally able to quit by really looking at what smoking was doing to my body and mind. In other words, I smoked out of habit or when I was stressed. Well why was I really smoking? For one thing smoking caused all sorts of chemical responses in my body. Tobacco is a stimulate and by using it I was causing by body and brain to release chemicals mainly dopamine. So when I was ready I figured out what else I could do to release those chemicals and get my neurotransmitters firing.

I then threw those nasty things out and found other things that would do the same thing, healthier foods, exercise, and meditation. Maybe by finding out what's going on with your brain and body when you crave certain foods it could help you kick them to the curb? I've gotten off topic so I'm sorry for that. Everyone is different though so just try a few things out and see what works best for you

Last edited by Bodhi_Spirit : 21-11-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:19 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfreedom9
Greens are quite high in protein, and low in calories. So salad is a great choice. Beans and lentils are high in protein too.

Greens are a good source of vitamins and some minerals but have virtually no protein. However, as you point out, pulses are high in protein. Seeds are a good source also.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:28 PM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
Just from what I've been reading, that the digestion of carbs is tricky and a diet of protein and veg and fruit might help me be more alert, switched on and brighter.
I am somewhat puzzled by what you say here. The digestive breakdown of carbohydrates, e.g. sugars is very fast in comparison to breaking down of amino acids (i.e. proteins). Hence why people go for that fast fix of chocolate.

I agree with you that protein, veg and fruit are better foods with regard to alertness.
(When I did stand up, I would just eat some brazil nuts and an apple earlier that evening....gave me vitality without drowsiness).

Another benefit with snacking on protein (rather than on carbs) is that, I hear, it better staves off hunger.
That said, I am a crispaholic!