Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Deactivated Account

Positions for those with back problems!

When I meditated in the past I did it sitting on chair, it was the only means available.

I suffer from Scoliosis and another back problem, in other words my spine has acquired an S shape which difficults staying in the same position for a while, it can bring me awful pain on my trapezius muscle or (like right now) the lower part close to my waist.

Today I tried a guided meditation in a half-lotus position sitting on a large square cushion, but trying this left me only with lower back pain which made it impossible to concentrate and all made me all angry. Also it's hard for me to not have my head drop back when I am starting to let go...

Is there some position available, aside from lying down completely, for those with these kind of back problems?

Thank you!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Master
Suika... Lying down for meditation is okay. If you lie someplace other than where you sleep it will help you stay awake.

A posture people with back problems often use is the 'lounge chair' position. If you don't have the actual chair you can rig it up on a couch or bed, with pillows behind your shoulders and neck and your knees.

The best position is one that allows you to free from the distractions of pain, and supports your practice for turning your attention within.

Xan

Old 02-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikagirl
When I meditated in the past I did it sitting on chair, it was the only means available.

I suffer from Scoliosis and another back problem, in other words my spine has acquired an S shape which difficults staying in the same position for a while, it can bring me awful pain on my trapezius muscle or (like right now) the lower part close to my waist.

Today I tried a guided meditation in a half-lotus position sitting on a large square cushion, but trying this left me only with lower back pain which made it impossible to concentrate and all made me all angry. Also it's hard for me to not have my head drop back when I am starting to let go...

Is there some position available, aside from lying down completely, for those with these kind of back problems?

Thank you!

Any position in which you are comfortable is suitable for meditation. That being said most meditation postures are employed for the simple mechanism of increasing oxygen flow and/or lung capacity. So, the important thing to bear in mind is not to constrict the rib cage.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Experiencer
Quote:

Is there some position available, aside from lying down completely,

I always meditate lying down, just try to stay awake if your body goes to sleep: this is where it will get interesting.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Deactivated Account

Thank you all for your advice!

I will try it lying down with my knees bent, it's been a long time (around ten years) since I have done something similar, I didn't fall asleep then, hopefully I won't now.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Thank you all for your advice!

I will try it lying down with my knees bent, it's been a long time (around ten years) since I have done something similar, I didn't fall asleep then, hopefully I won't now.

Maybe put some pillows or cushions under the back of knees so you don't have to hold them up.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Master
I agree with Gem. Pillows, cushions....are great.

And a nice comfy blanket to keep you warm...

I've also meditated using a foam roller. Those things are a God-send for back ache. There is absolutely no point in trying to meditate if you are in pain. The whole idea of good posture in meditation is so that you remain awake whilst in deep states of relaxation. And having a straight back facilitates the rising of Kundalini energy.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma

I've also meditated using a foam roller. Those things are a God-send for back ache. There is absolutely no point in trying to meditate if you are in pain. The whole idea of good posture in meditation is so that you remain awake whilst in deep states of relaxation. And having a straight back facilitates the rising of Kundalini energy.

I had to google what a foam roller is...hehehe But how do you use exactly, underneath your back, your feet?

I know nothing about Kundalini energy, well close to nothing, but I have to ask, even though the back is straight, doesn't the lying down interfere?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Master
re. the foam roller - you just place the roller underneath your back wherever it needs a bit of massage or pressure

You know...the yoga poses, asanas, are all meditation postures.

If you ever watch kumba mele on youtube, you may see yogis meditating in all kinds of postures....every so often they will shift their position... intuitively the Energy guides them into a new posture

Kundalini will find a way even if the back is not straight...
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma

In the meditation there is pain just as there is pain in life. Pain will happen.

When the practice is done, and pain occurs, the practitioner is to remain equanimous and have no adverse mental reaction to the sensation.