Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 11-09-2021, 06:27 AM
Deactivated Account

Apostle Thomas the Idol Crusher

A group of Brahmin priests were offering food to idolsm; Apostle Thomas said that these gods that they are worshipping are mere creations of human beings and cannot consume the offerings they are making.
He asked for a bowl of water and said that he will offer it to God and God will accept it.
Apostle Thomas thrust the water into the air and not a single drop fell, since this shocked the people, many converted to the Living God.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 11-09-2021 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Due to Copy paste Rules here -under FAQ
Old 11-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Saint Thomas apparently died a martyr’s death. The story goes, furious Brahmins pierced
the Apostle with a lance, either when he was praying in rapture in a cave or when
he destroyed a temple dedicated to the goddess Kali.
His tomb is venerated in Mylapore up to the present day...
*Re Post #1, another version can be found at the link below, also.

http://beachristian4rapture.blogspot.com/2009/04/miracle-of-st-thomas-apostle-in-india.html

Please rem 2-3 sentences can be copied only and give a ref.
An alternative is not to copy at all! Report the story in your own words to play it safe.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-09-2021, 06:08 PM
Master

Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknaton
A group of Brahmin priests were offering food to idolsm; Apostle Thomas said that these gods that they are worshipping are mere creations of human beings and cannot consume the offerings they are making.
He asked for a bowl of water and said that he will offer it to God and God will accept it.
Apostle Thomas thrust the water into the air and not a single drop fell, since this shocked the people, many converted to the Living God.

By the logic of water not falling ie performing some miracle is the basis of believing in God then nobody is able to do such thing now . So why should i believe in any God . Not quite understanding why he felt the need to destroyed a temple dedicated to Goddess Kali , idol worship is there in Christianity also with statue of Crucified Jesus on a cross. Though it may not be as verbose and profuse like Hindus idol worship of God/Dev/Devi, but it is idol worship of Son of God . Process and idea is still same.

Now the Hindu idols are considered "avatar" meaning coming down from a place of higher seat (absolute universal power) to lower seat (human body). So there is explicit understanding that human Gods we talk about are "avatar " - incarnation of real God . So from the very dictionary meaning avatars - human Gods are clearly on lower pedestal than universal cosmic power. Cosmic universal power is very difficult to visualize in our day to day mundane life with routine needs and work . Human idols are the quickest and easiest way to get a glimpse of universal God in jiffy for a common man with little time with little interest and little orientation .
Unfortunately Hindus have not been able to explain and demonstrate this clearly,properly and emphatically for variety of reasons.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:59 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Saint Thomas apparently died a martyr’s death. The story goes, furious Brahmins pierced
the Apostle with a lance,....
Please rem 2-3 sentences can be copied only and give a ref.
An alternative is not to copy at all! Report the story in your own words to play it safe.
Thank you Miss H, well noted!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 11-09-2021 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Shortened quote as Admin has asked to 2-3 sentences!!!
Old 11-09-2021, 09:09 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
By the logic of water not falling ie performing some miracle is the basis of believing in God then nobody is able to do such thing now . So why should i believe in any God ....
The unlimited can't be expressed through limited forms. If a form (or something formless) can be perceived by the limited human mind (wait, is the human mind limited?) then what was perceived is most definitely limited.

Basic mathematical principles state that infinity cannot be expressed by finite numbers. Therefore, God can not be expressed by finite objects. Rather, we need God to condescend to our level and make us perceive Him or obtain such a capacity.

What was or is the necessity of an idol? Why does a 'god' need an object to represent it? Can't it represent itself if really it is from the cosmic highness? Cleaely the god needs help! Whatever can be conceived by the mind can be formed with the hands; whether it is an idol or cellphone.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 11-09-2021 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Shortened quote, count 3 sentences!!
Old 11-09-2021, 09:33 PM
The Anointed

Quote:
Saint Thomas apparently died a martyr’s death. The story goes, furious Brahmins pierced the Apostle with a lance,

It was not uncommon for the men of northern Galilee in those days to carry three names, one Hebrew, one Greek and one Aramaic.

Thomas=Tau’ma, the Aramaic for twin, is also called Didymus, which is the Greek for twin, he is Thomas/twin, Didymus/twin, Jude, who is said to be the brother of Jesus, the son of the carpenter.

Matthew 13: 55-56; Isn't he the carpenter's son? Isn't Mary his mother, and aren't James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas his brothers? Aren't all his sisters living here?

Excerpts from “The Acts of Thomas-Wikipedia.”
Acts of Thomas is a series of episodic Acts (Latin passio) that occurred during the evangelistic mission of Judas Thomas ("Judas the Twin") to India. It ends with his martyrdom: he dies pierced with spears, having earned the ire of the monarch Misdaeus (Vasudeva I) because of his conversion of Misdaeus' wives and a relative, Charisius. He was imprisoned while converting Indian followers won through the performing of miracles.

Thomas is often referred to by his name Judas (his full name is Thomas Judas Didymus), since both Thomas and Didymus just mean twin, and several scholars believe that twin is just a description, and not intended as a name. The manuscripts end "The acts of Judas Thomas the apostle are completed, which he did in India, fulfilling the commandment of him that sent him. Unto whom be glory, world without end. Amen."

A local tradition of eastern Syria identifies the Apostle Jude with Jude Thomas who was called ‘The Twin’ also known as Thomas (Aramaic), Didymus (Greek), and Jude (Hebrew.)

Knowing that in ART, Thomas Didymus Jude, the son or adopted son of Joseph/Alphaeus/Cleophas, is depicted with a, carpenter’s rule and square.

In "The Acts of Thomas, sometimes called by its full name, "The Acts of Judas Thomas," 2nd-3rd century CE, "The Apostles cast lots as to where they should go, and to Thomas, brother to Jesus fell India. Thomas was taken to King Goddophares the ruler of Indo-Pathian Kingdom as an architect and carpenter by Habban.”

Jude, the brother of the Lord according to the flesh, both having the same father, Joseph-Cleophas-Alphaeus, who was the son of Alexander Helios/Heli, and Thomas-Jude, was called the apostle of many names, as he was also called Thaddaeus and Lebbaeus, the Greek and Aramaic words for ‘courageous.’ So, Jude the brother of the Lord is the courageous apostle called ‘The Twin,’ and he should not be confused with the apostle whose actual name was ‘Thomas.’

‘We must now ask the question, "Who is the Carpenter to whom Mary was married at that time, when her family consisted of Jesus, James the younger, Joseph, Simon and Judas? Was it Joseph the son of Jacob from the tribe of Judah, who was her first legitimate husband, or was it Joseph/Alphaeus/Cleophas, the second husband of Mary and the Father of James the younger, the biological son of Mary and the youngest boy in the family, plus Simon and Judas, who is also called Thomas Didymus Jude, meaning twin?

Joseph, was the son of Heli=Alexander Helios III, a father of renown, who Herod the Great had murdered, was also called Cleophas, which is the masculine form of the female ‘Cleopatra’, and Cleophas is the Greek for “Of a renown father”, Joseph was also called ‘Alphaeus’ the Aramaic for “Of a renown father”.

Hegesippus, mentions descendants of Jude living in the reign of Domitian, 81-96 AD.
In his book, “Historia Ecclesiae” Eusebius wrote; “But when the same Domitian had commanded the descendants of David should be slain, an ancient tradition says that some of the heretics brought accusations against the descendants of Jude (Said to have been a brother of the saviour according to the flesh) on the grounds that they were of the lineage of David and were related to Christ himself.

Hegesippus relates these facts in the following words; “Of the family of the Lord there were still living the grandchildren of Jude (The Twin) who is said to have been the Lord’s brother according to the flesh.

Although the bible calls Thomas Jude, ‘The twin,” it is not known if he was an actual twin, or if he simply held a striking resemblance to one of the sons in the house hold of Mary and the carpenter, Joseph/Alpheaus/Cleophas.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Master

I know you told me not to read your posts but I didn't listen lol.

anyway I think of the mind not as an unlimited thing but as a trap that grabs any limitation it can find and takes it seriously.

From that POV idols are bad because they just lead to more traps for the mind to fall into....

when what one needs is a little imagination that the limitations we see aren't as serious as we take them to be.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknaton
The unlimited can't be expressed through limited forms.
Basic mathematical principles state that infinity cannot be expressed by finite numbers. Therefore, God can not be expressed by finite objects.
Excellent!!!

*The Anointed ..that was a lot of information!! Wow.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 12-09-2021, 12:13 AM
The Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
I know you told me not to read your posts but I didn't listen lol.

I never did tell you not to read my posts, what I did say, was, "I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed at my revealing the truths as recorded in scripture. Perhaps to avoid any future disappointment, you should avoid reading my posts."

I was only trying to protect you from further disappointment, but you appear, to not take on, good advice.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:35 AM
The Anointed

Quote:
The Anointed ..that was a lot of information!! Wow.

RSV John 20: 24; Now Thomas, one of the twelve, CALLED THE TWIN, was not with them when Jesus came.

RSV John 21: 1-2; After this Jesus revealed himself again to the disciples by the Sea of Tibe′ri-as; and he revealed himself in this way. Simon Peter, Thomas CALLED THE TWIN, Nathan′a-el of Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zeb′edee, and two others of his disciples were together.