Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:43 PM
akbar

Religion vs. religions

Does each religion have a separate God? Why they insist on special name or names for their God? Does God approve any language necessary to be prayed? Does not He know other languages? Does he approve only special manners to be prayed as different armies observe different orders for show off? Does religion not believe that the God is one, the God of universe and mankind?

The God is one but religions differ and they (God forbid) compel the God to be only their. Groups had/have been fighting for their separate identities and even for preferences including languages, races, nations, religions for the God to be their. Any one religion is not willing to share his so called God with any other religion and struggles to prove his claim. Each claims the God's preference. Each claims having God's authority or (God forbid) authority over God. Faith in the God including mercy, kindness, love, justice, brotherhood, fraternity and good social behaviors do not fulfill the need of having a separate religion so some or more additions, conditions and other specialties are necessary requirements. Religions require clergies to teach such specialties and clergies require specialties of concerned religion for their existence. How clergies can say that their can be any way out other than observance of such specialties?

All religions join such competition so separate additions, conditions, and other manners are included for keeping separate entities. Claims of superiorities are necessary to satisfy respective followers, so each religion claims having best additions, conditions. Places of worship, designs of worship places, manners/timings of worship, holy days/observance of such days, holy places/pilgrimage of such places, and traditions/observance of such traditions from birth to death and even names of individuals are kept different for maintaining religious differentiations. I know some clergies who insist on observing particular manners for eating, drinking, walking, sleeping, entering a building or coming out and many more. They also insist on related prayers for all such occasions to be learnt by heart. Religions must be different with different holy personalities for attaining blessings and for getting approvals for heaven.

Clergies of each religion claim that heaven or blessings of the God are only for their followers excluding all others, so this can be a perfect base for scuffles and also wars. Some where in holy books followers are admonished not to be friendly with others and they are motivated to wage holy wars against those who do not accept their God. I appreciate wisdom of all religion followers that they do not fight in spite of having such perfect bases of differentiations and live in peace on the principle of live and let live. Does this mean that they have turned hypocrites?

Please allow me to point out some hypocrisy (as I think). Please forgive me if I am wrong. People of many religions believe that there is an endless life after death with unimaginable pleasures, satisfaction and happiness. Such life is invisible. I think that had there been a visible life just equal to this life we are living then people would have given much importance to such a life. People do prefer to live with ease in coming future and for this purpose they save, work and even suffer; so had there been a visible transformation/migration from one continent to another or from one planet to another then people would have been much concerned about even such time was/is equal to their present life. If this is correct then hypocrisy certainly exists otherwise why they do not care much for that endless life? Why they cheat, torture, kill and lie? Why they remain cruel and unkind? This certainly means that they do not believe in that endless life and even then religions do accept their eligibility for heaven and blessings of their God above all other humans not belonging to their creed or group. If you do not mind this seems to me hypocrisy.

I do believe in life after death and that human soul will never perish. I also believe in the God
Old 06-02-2007, 01:47 PM
akbar

This God or that God

This God or that God,

Of turban
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Monkey

Generally speaking, when there are wars or arguments between religions and religious, its not because one believes that there god is different to the other person's god, rather they are fighting over perceptions of the one God. For example, John might believe that only through faith does one go to heaven while George might believe it is only through good works that one goes to heaven, but it isn't a different God that they are fighting over. Its more about how we serve, perceive, worship, issues like that. At any rate however, it is true that there are a lot of hypocritical statements made in the cause of religion.

On the other hand however, hypocrisy does not only belong to religion. Many people are generally hypocritical. They tell their children to not smoke when they grow up and will do it with a cigarette in their fingers. They commit themselves to exercise and don't do it, they announce themselves to be honest people but often lie, etc. Even in science, there are lies, cheating, competition, egos, hypocrisy, etc, and science is suppose to be above such things.

I would also remind that while there are very rich mainstream religious organisations out there, the New Age, Spiritualist, type movements are also making a bundle of money. John Edward charges $600 for an hour of his time and there is a three year waiting list. I am not saying it is wrong for him to do that, just trying to put things in perspective, that no one is immune to hypocrisy, faults, small-mindedness, ego, etc, and that no organisation is perfect either.

I think you have to look beyond the hypocrisy in all areas of life and look for what is good and true in people, beliefs and organisations. I think we also need to also look beyond our own hypocrisy and find the good in ourselves. Perhaps the world won't look so wicked if we can find the good in ourselves and in others.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 PM
kundalini

Hey akbar, they were really insightful posts and Monkey, your post nicely complemented akbar's and balanced it all out. Great insights, K.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
akbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Generally speaking, when there are wars or arguments between religions and religious, its not because one believes that there god is different to the other person's god, rather they are fighting over perceptions of the one God. For example, John might believe that only through faith does one go to heaven while George might believe it is only through good works that one goes to heaven, but it isn't a different God that they are fighting over. Its more about how we serve, perceive, worship, issues like that. At any rate however, it is true that there are a lot of hypocritical statements made in the cause of religion.

On the other hand however, hypocrisy does not only belong to religion. Many people are generally hypocritical. They tell their children to not smoke when they grow up and will do it with a cigarette in their fingers. They commit themselves to exercise and don't do it, they announce themselves to be honest people but often lie, etc. Even in science, there are lies, cheating, competition, egos, hypocrisy, etc, and science is suppose to be above such things.

I would also remind that while there are very rich mainstream religious organisations out there, the New Age, Spiritualist, type movements are also making a bundle of money. John Edward charges $600 for an hour of his time and there is a three year waiting list. I am not saying it is wrong for him to do that, just trying to put things in perspective, that no one is immune to hypocrisy, faults, small-mindedness, ego, etc, and that no organisation is perfect either.

I think you have to look beyond the hypocrisy in all areas of life and look for what is good and true in people, beliefs and organisations. I think we also need to also look beyond our own hypocrisy and find the good in ourselves. Perhaps the world won't look so wicked if we can find the good in ourselves and in others.

Good arguments by you. You are right that societies have many other hypocricies but I am particularly concerned about hypocricies in the name of God/gods so I have pointed out.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Monkey

Why are you particularly concerned about religious hypocrisy?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Consider the different languages.. they all see the same flower, but name it differently.. They all have spiritual awareness, but express it differently.. usually based on localized customs and cultural influences.. It's all one thing, being experienced differently..

Be well..
Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
akbar

One God, One faith

Friends, do you think that their are or may be different gods and not one God? If so I do not agree with you. If the God is one then why so much differences on faith about God?
I say and believe that the God is one and insist on nothing else. I would not write or preach you any thing else. I have to write the name of God with out any additions or conditions. If you feel any please let me know. This is the difference between my faith and religions. Unlike religions I have no objection to any traditions, languages, modes and places of worship etc.
My faith consist of only one point and that is the God. I speak of the God given human values which you and I share so nothig special from me.
I speak of religious hypocricy because we are discussing religions and spirtuality.
I hope you would not mind if I reproduce here my poem to make my point more clear which I sent in my introductory post.

I am your friend also,

May not be of your skin,
May not be of your nation,
May not be of your language,
May not be of your standard,

Yet I can live as you live,
Yet I can sing as you sing,
Can love your art and ways of life,
The land you live in or any sight,

I can join you in sad and glad,
Can share your hopes and wear as you clad,
Can join you in prayers where you pray,
Though I shall say silently what I have to say,

The God I pray is your God also,
May be more yours than mine also,
The God of universe and mankind also,
I am your friend also.

I can join you to defend the just,
If you are to help weak or oppressed,
But if I happen to meet the others,
If they claim to behave as human brothers,
I may be very easily inspired also,
No restraint shall then I abide by also,
I shall embrace and say to them also,
I am your friend also.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

There are many interpretations of "The One God".. in fact, i sincerely believe that each of us has a slightly or vastly different personal understanding of "God".. that does not alter "God", it speaks of our individuality.. it is through sincere interaction that we can more closely approach harmony in our understandings of "God"..

Hypocricy is is nothing more than evidence of human frailty.. that it offends is another frailty.. to speak the words we believe is much easier than living them.. perfection is a high standard. To be able to bless your brothers and sisters regardless of their faults creates more harmony than to curse them even with your own faults, which is its own hypocricy...

Be well...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
akbar

The God

I do not want to impose my concept of God. I agree with the concept of an Almighty God as said in some religions though I think they do not truely believe so.
Is there any one who claims sincerity with his/her Master? Please let me know to follow him/her. When I speak of the God I mean so and any god of my personal selfish thoughts. Let me know your concept of the God to agree with.
Closed Thread