Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 20-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Master
extreme discouragement

Here is another example of the difference between Eastern Spirituality and Western Spirituality.

The West encourages people to engage in life and to involve themselves with other people. The West is pro-active. It says get involved, it will be okay.

The East on the other hand totally discourages people from getting involved with life and other people. It says "why bother?", "its just an illusion!"

I prefer the West! Much more!

I find Eastern Mysticism incredibly discouraging......I start thinking "what is the point?" "what if everything is just an illusion?" ....how discouraging is that?

Its AWFUL!

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 20-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
The West encourages people to engage in life and to involve themselves with other people. The West is pro-active. It says get involved, it will be okay.
I agree with doing this! If you don't get involved with other people, how much can you know about yourself?

I don't know if the East is like that or not, maybe they just have a different way that seems discouraging to us? Different cultures seem strange sometimes.
Old 20-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf

I don't know if the East is like that or not, maybe they just have a different way that seems discouraging to us? Different cultures seem strange sometimes.

That may be the reason. But I often wonder if their mindset doesn't affect them negatively as well.

After all, there are 900,000,000 Indians on earth and their country is still in a terrible mess. They are poor and their political system is corrupted. The west seems very civilised compared to India. People walk around seeing the "East" through rose tinted glasses, like it is the best thing since sliced bread. But it isn't. It is poor, overpopulated, corrupt and disorganised.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 20-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
That may be the reason. But I often wonder if their mindset doesn't affect them negatively as well.

After all, there are 900,000,000 Indians on earth and their country is still in a terrible mess. They are poor and their political system is corrupted. The west seems very civilised compared to India. People walk around seeing the "East" through rose tinted glasses, like it is the best thing since sliced bread. But it isn't. It is poor, overpopulated, corrupt and disorganised.
I see what you mean. I think different place have different problems though, and they can seem worse in other cultures. I may be wrong about that, they could be worse off than us too, but I think we naturally tend to block out our own problems in our mind and see them worse in others.

When looking at problems in populations, it's not usually black and white because there's positive and negative aspects to most things. Even though I realize that, I'm more biased towards my part of the world's outlook on spirituality. Obviously we all are in the West.
Old 20-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Master
I think there needs to be a balance, not too western, or too Eastern.
Old 20-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
I'd like that too, but I have no idea how to do it without at least visiting the East. I don't even understand what we're talking about here!
Old 20-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Master
Quote:
I'd like that too, but I have no idea how to do it without at least visiting the East. I don't even understand what we're talking about here!

Right ; the o.p. is too generalized and vague to really be an accurate overview. There doesn't need to be an East vs. West choice forced on anyone , anyway . Find whatever works and work it , that's what I do ; doesn't matter if it's East or West or New Age or Old School (Hermetic) ,or
channeled from the Bozosphere.
Old 20-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Master
Quote:
I'm more talking about one being material and the other not so material, there are many good things in the material world that we should enjoy, but if we cling to them we will suffer.
Old 20-03-2012, 08:48 AM
3dnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice

yeah middle east where I am ... I see everything.

3d
Old 20-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dnow
yeah middle east where I am ... I see everything.

3d
Sorry its nothing to do with a geographical area on a map lol.