Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 20-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Master
Yogananda dreams

Yah know for a while I became very critical of Yogananda and yogic teachers for a while. I was obsessed with Yogananda for a long time. I liked him even more than Edgar Cayce or Eckart Tolle or whoever people read now. After a while a lot of things he said didn't always jive with me. Many of these were sexual things, the human person, and even the fatalistic view of reincarnation he had.

Over time I have spoken with a clairvoyant and she said to me- "I feel Yogananda was a positive influence". I was kinda confused because a lot of things he said didn't make sense with even modern psychology and science. And the clairvoyant said to me, "Those were HIS beliefs, that doesn't mean everything he taught was correct. But when you are meant to Teach then that was what he was meant to do".

It all made sense to me. You can't take what someone says and believe it is all true- not even the Bible- not even Jesus! You can't put all your eggs in someone's basket. Majority of us even the most enlightened have our own beliefs and things that influenced us from our upbringings.

Now whats odd about this is that I have had dreams of Yogananda. Once he was talking to me on "not giving up" on a certain career I have chosen, another time he was just smiling at me. Each time he was more of a person concerned for my well being. And I realized something I think despite whatever conspiracies surrounded his life or some made up stories of his incorrupt body, I think he was an advanced soul and he may be at a Higher level on the Other Side.

And I realized something. I was being more harsh on him than lets says a Catholic mystic like Francis of Asissi., But then I looked up some of these Catholic mystics and even though I believe they were enlightened some of the things they personally believed sounded ridiculous. But even the Buddha had his own beliefs or kept them to himself and always taught that beliefs don't really mean anything at the end of the day.

I have reinstalled Yogananda into my pantheon of Mystics and enlightened Teachers and one of the best there ever was to connect people to God inside themselves.

Old 21-09-2015, 03:14 AM
Suspended
Master

It's so odd how we take an idea like "spiritual" and apply it like it is a profession. Like guru's or people that make a living selling spirituality "techniques" or books or lessons etc are somehow the most spiritual of us all. That's how they make money and support themselves it doesn't mean they are spiritual. The guy you mentioned made a lot of money selling books and lessons. That's fine and all but a spiritual person is a humble person, a person who only thinks of others, a person who is always kind and thinks of others first. I would bet most times the dishwasher in a religious organization is more spiritual than the big leader walking around and having people bow to him or her.

I have seen many so called "spiritual" leaders behind the scenes and they are the opposite of spiritual. The are mean spirited and egotistical and self righteous. I've seen horrible things done by spiritual leaders, leaders that I've seen others bow down to and worship.

The most spiritual people probably don't join religious and spiritual groups. Think about it... why do people join such things? The number one reason is they want something, to be spiritual or enlightened or whatever... all selfish pursuits. The most spiritual people don't want to be famous or worshiped or to achieve some spiritual goal. They don't seek anything for themselves. They live to serve and help others, in humbleness.
Old 21-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Master
True.
But I do think some people are born with a passion to teach and are Spiritual Teachers.

Richard Rohr is a Franciscan and doer of his path but also writes books.

There is nothing wrong in writing a book to help the masses learn to connect and motivate their thoughts to more spiritual aspirations and Influences.

If jesus was around today it would have been very hard for him to attract masses of people with his Message without social media, books, and interviews

I am not comparing Yogananda to Jesus but I am saying spiritual teachers do what they have to do to attract people

But then there are people like Deepak Chopra who writes a new book
Every weekend and I watched a documentary on him. He is the most egotistical self absorbed unspiritual individual I have ever seen who claims to know something on the subject

Spirituality is about service to others but it is also about relationship to Spirit and growing in knowledge and awareness of Spirit or God or whatever you want to call It
Old 21-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Master
I've noticed the same sort of thing. If we look at it in terms of people who write "spiritual" or metaphysical books, well some have very deep realization and some have less, some have vision that is profound and broad, some have only one or two insights that they continually communicate in a wide variety of ways.

The effect from a teacher's "teaching" is much more from their presence, actions, and intent than in the verbal aspects of what they teach. In the case of most advanced-soul teachers with whom I've come into contact, it's the value of their presence and intent that affects me positively. Some don't say much and don't elaborate or speculate much - but, yes, some do.

We find truth where we find it, and we find assistance where we find it.

Last edited by Tanemon : 21-09-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 23-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Seems to me Yogananda was a reluctant teacher.
But was a devoted and sacrificing follower, and in love with the Divine.
He was thrown into teaching and certainly did not want to come
to the West.

My take.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Different teachers have different realizations and not all are equally enlightened..
Their knowledge and power will come from the particular plane they've reached. Cayce's knowledge, for instance, was only coming from astral sources IMO - this is why he was wrong so often. Tolle is just mentally regurgitating what other's before him have taught. There are many like him and l don't believe his kind are in any way enlightened.
Modern psychology is still scratching the surface, except for 'Transpersonal Psychology'..
Cayce and tolle aren't in the same league as Yogananda and his Guru's, as far as l'm concerned.
Yogananda also, IMO, would not be in the the same league as more advanced Yogi's like Sri Aurobindo and the Mother in pondicherry, lndia or Daskalos [famous greek mystic]..
Knowledge will come from the astral, mental, overmental, and Supramental Worlds [Supramental being the Highest Knowledge].
Most teachings [especially religions] emanate only from the 'mental' levels. The Highest Spiritual teachings will come from the two above the mental regions. Not many will bring knowledge from the Supramental.
The 'Overmental' is the home of the Gods, Angels etc..
ln the end it all depends on what we are ready for - we get the teacher and teachings we need at the time..
Old 25-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Suspended
Master

I thought this thread was about the CD Yogananda Dreams - instrumentals based on his chants

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/devisky
Old 25-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Master
Regarding teachers and spiritual growth. the real battle for everyone is to overcome the human ego. The problem with the ego is its very clever and it shape shifts. So people immerse themselves in `spirituality` but they often do not understand that the ego then shape shifts into that spirituality. Often this is why good spiritual teachers stop living their teachings
Old 25-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
Regarding teachers and spiritual growth. the real battle for everyone is to overcome the human ego.
The problem with the ego is its very clever and it shape shifts.
So people immerse themselves in `spirituality` but they often do not understand that the ego then shape shifts into that spirituality.
Often this is why good spiritual teachers stop living their teachings
Is that why? I left my guru after decades, bec I could not abide with 'things'...lifestyle, whatever you call it.

I have learned un-doing the ego is the thing...I'm taking a self-study course...ACIM. So far so good!!!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 25-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
Regarding teachers and spiritual growth. the real battle for everyone is to overcome the human ego. The problem with the ego is its very clever and it shape shifts. So people immerse themselves in `spirituality` but they often do not understand that the ego then shape shifts into that spirituality. Often this is why good spiritual teachers stop living their teachings
Wisely observed.

At the end of the day both the Awakened and the sleeping take their pants off one leg at a time so as to not fall over. Meaning no matter how awakened we are we are still in a human body, with a mind which forever jockey's for dominion. It will try and become the Higher Self if it can, and it does so, so very deviously, a shape shifter indeed. It is the dragon which can't be slayed - only leashed.