Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 01-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
That's possibly the only indication to counter solipsism - not proof but an indication.

Honestly, once more - so many words to play with, good fun but people get their kn****rs in a twist. It was a debate that drove Nietzsche mad in the end.

Ultimate point is - does it matter?

I think only some simple personal insight is needed to counter solipsism. The claim that only the self exists can be observed to not be true because the self can't even make it through a day without not existing. We don't exist as self all day long at all.

Sometimes the mind is quiet and during these times of not thinking or reacting there is no self. There is only unaffected consciousness. But yea to somebody without much insight, they would claim crazy ideas like solipsism (only self - I) exists.

Enlightenment is only the realization of what is - it's waking up from the "hypnotized" state.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
I think only some simple personal insight is needed to counter solipsism. The claim that only the self exists can be observed to not be true because the self can't even make it through a day without not existing. We don't exist as self all day long at all.

I'm not sure if you meant that as "advice" but that whole statement doesn't disprove solipsism at all. As the sole consciousness all that happens in a day could just rest in you alone (including reading these posts - everything). You use the word "observe." There lies it. We construct some wonderful things from the nothingness out there - clouds of electrical charges infinitesimally small compared to the space between them. One exists, regardless of what else might exist out there.

It's a stream of philosophical thinking. Well known.

I don't "believe" in solipsism but I have no way to prove whether it's the case or not.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
a different perspective from god(my true self)?

Lollage... If you are creation in action , you have no perspective different from creation / God.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvineintel
Am I the only one conscious and aware in my current experience out of all of the other physical beings I project as I shift through parallel reality to parallel reality in order to live this life from a different perspective from god(my true self)?
Made me think of the movie 'The Matrix'.

I personally believe the authenticity of my surrounding reality.

I also think it is important to believe reality is real when one "creates their own reality".
Old 01-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Suspended
Master

~ double post ~
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
As the sole consciousness all that happens in a day could just rest in you alone (including reading these posts - everything).

I pointed out the self (thought) is often not active during parts of the day so obviously solipsism is non-sense. If self is not there all the time, how can it be the only thing that exists? This proves solipsism is false.

I guess you are now claiming consciousness exists all the time so therefore solipsism may be true?

When you are asleep, you have no consciousness, so once again, this proves solipsism is non-sense."You" can't be all that exists if you don't exist all the time.

A person can believe only they exist or they can believe a monster lives under their bed. A person can make up any fantasy they want and their beliefs will affect their experience of the world. That's what a conceptual life in ego is. Living in a made up conceptual world and not the world that objectively exists.

I can see why a belief in solipsism would drive a person mad. It probably requires an attempt to never stop thinking.

It's funny the founder of solipsism died and we still have people believing in it! Everything should have ended with them since they were all that existed.