Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 28-06-2014, 02:17 AM
NoPlaceToStand

Where Do You Physically Feel Your Emotions When You Meditate?

As a student of both spirituality and human biology, I've always been curious about the connection between mind and body. As I've become more aware during my meditative practice, I've noticed that certain emotions have a physical pattern to them (Calmness/bliss presents itself as a fully body glow, anxiety presents itself as a strange feeling in my temple/right above my ear, sometimes radiating as a stiffness down through my shoulder). I know there has been research done as to where emotions are felt in the body, but I'd like to hear where my fellow meditators feel their different emotions in their bodies!

Best regards from a simple fool,
-NoPlaceToStand
Old 28-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Master

I really do feel love in my heart area. Fear I feel like all over (like eletricfied) and my solar plexus like contracts. Anxiety, I feel i the stomach and solar plexus.
Old 28-06-2014, 04:30 PM
NoPlaceToStand

Greetings Sea-dove,

I also feel love over my heart! That was actually a recent discovery during meditation, when a feeling of love came over me. I noticed the location of that emotion for the first time then.

Best regards from a simple fool,
-NoPlaceToStand
Old 30-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Knower
I have always been a very cerebral, body-unaware person, but one sensation that's always been inexplicably sharp is seeing a character in a show in immediate physical danger. A point of almost-but-not-quite pain right below my diaphragm. I always assumed it was fear by putting myself mentally in that place.

Working with mediation I now sometimes question whether it is a protective instinct instead, since it is housed squarely in the solar plexus chakra area.

You can probably tell I'm not terribly in touch with my emotions since I can't even correctly identify them. 8P
Old 30-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Master
Michael Brown has some amazing lessons on this. His book the Presence Process is a very powerful process of learning to be in your emotional body.

LANDING OUT OF THE MENTAL PLANE

When we consciously observe an upsetting experience we real eyes there are three distinct aspects to it; a physical, mental, and emotional:

The physical aspects are the circumstances or person/s that triggered the upset, and they are also the physical behaviors we are considering initiating as a consequence of whatever occurred.

The mental aspect is the story we are telling ourselves about what happened, who did what, why it happened, and whose fault it was.

The emotional aspect is how this upset is causing us to feel. The emotional aspect of any upset is accessible to us as both an uncomfortable feeling state, and emotion which we may call fear, anger, and/or grief, and as a corresponding physical sensation anchored within our body.

Grounding ourselves out of the mental plane requires dismissing the physical and mental aspects of the upset, and simultaneously consciously cradling the emotional component. In other words, releasing our attachment to both the story we are telling and to the behavior we are intending to reenact, while simultaneously maintaining the focus of our attention upon the felt-aspect of the experience, whether we perceive this felt-resonance as fear, anger, and/or grief, or as a sensational state within our physical body.

To initiate this encounter with the heart it is recommended we tend to our garden for a few minutes at the beginning and the end of each day, and also in the midst of any unexpected upset. This is how simple it is:

We sit comfortably in a quiet place where we will not be interrupted. (If we truly seek to be authentic when entering this practice, we switch our cell phone to "off". Otherwise, we are just doing this because nothing else is currently stealing our attention.)

We recall an upset, whether it is something that happened recently, or something currently festering within our physical, mental, and emotional experience.

We drop the story and the details of the physical events surrounding it, and instead place our attention fully on "how we feel about it".

Where seek out where we feel this discomfort within our body? We place our attention within this location and "cradle it".

While keeping the eyes of our heart upon the uncomfortable feeling within our body, we simultaneously keep our physical eyes open, and in a relaxed manner, we observe the world before us.

We observe how the inner feeling moves, and how, as it does, the outer world simultaneously increases in presence.

When we stray off into the mental again, we gently bring our attention back into the inner feeling within our body and simultaneously upon the presence of the outer world.

We cradle this experience for as long as we feel necessary.

NOTE: If we do not have an upset to consciously work with, we enter the practice by consciously placing our attention within the center of our chest and hold it there, following the above instructions, until we feel complete. The practice of consistently placing of our attention within the center of our chest is equally powerful in initiating "the death experience" that invites the blessing of rebirth within all unintegrated aspects of our life experience.

I hope this helps.
Old 30-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Sister Rags

When I meditate I usually feel my emotions in my upper abdomen, belly, upper arms, hands, and sometimes in my throat.
Old 30-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Deactivated Account

Interesting topic! I feel emotions in lots of places (in and out of meditation)

Bliss: Whole body feeling. Like I've been swallowed up by everything pleasurable in existence.
Love/empathy: Feels like my heart is trying to jump out of my chest.
Negative feelings in general: Like there's a raging HEAVY void in the pit of my stomach.

I feel a lot of things in my chakras though and minor energy centers too, so these tend to overlap sometimes.
Old 30-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Master
It all starts at the heart. If you investigate the "Where am I" or "What am I" it starts in the heart. Once you have been with the emotion, yes it will move and that is a good sign.

It is also a very powerful way of becoming present in the moment. You have the mind going on and on, try the technique and watch what happens.

This is a very powerful technique on integrating your emotions. It allows you to stop reacting to situations and allows you the chance to respond. With more practice feeling the emotions within the body instead of identify with the thought becomes very pleasurable and freeing.
Old 30-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Guide
Fun topic!
Quote:
I've noticed that certain emotions have a physical pattern to them (Calmness/bliss presents itself as a fully body glow, anxiety presents itself as a strange feeling in my temple/right above my ear, sometimes radiating as a stiffness down through my shoulder)
I've noticed similar, I tend to feel emotions as colors or light, that emanate from particular regions.

I've felt love in my heart chakra area, as well as a pink wave coming from my base chakra all the way up to the top of my head, to where I felt like my whole body was vibrating. Grief feels like a blunt cold wind, hitting my heart. Pain in general is a clear, white light, I tend to not feel pain, but will see a flash in my mind's eye, thus know to look for a cut. The point of injury is where the light emanates, the brighter the light, the greater the injury(loud sudden sounds have a similar effect though too. :shrug:)

I've noticed that there are particular areas, that hold emotions, like a memory, they may have a memory attached to it as well, but when released, the area affected kinda dissolves, and from that point on rather than feeling it in say tightness, it's a calm wave, rising and falling in my central core. I find it quite fun to observe these things arise and pass.