Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 24-11-2010, 04:31 AM
supernova

Is literature the last resort when failed everywhere?

The title was wrongly put and it should be "Is spirituality the last resort when failed everywhere?"

I kind of like to write that people resort to spirituality when they become harassed in every step of life and they do so thinking that in spirituality they find refuge, solace and appeasement. I have seen people turn to spirituality particularly when they are getting too old and in life they are tormented and reviled in society and finding no recourse to anything to live happily they go to the temples, mosques and the like since therein they can find consolation and support. Generally observed I see flocks of widows and elderly people and the laid up have their pastimes at churches and synagogues when they can be at one with a mass to congregate and share all else.

Do we not need spirituality when we are young and physically virile and muscular?

If generally observe we see the majority flooding
sacred shrines come from the weaklings of society and the presence and participation of women outnumber their counterpart males. This gives an inkling that spirituality is the genre or domain of those who are socially, economically disadvantaged. With that said, however today we see spirituality has been the luxury of the moneyed few. I find a mismatch and would like to discuss with the rest with their varying opinions
Old 24-11-2010, 04:57 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

I discovered 'Spirituality' in 1968, at the ripe old age of 18.. a girl down the street invited me to visit her Church, she thought i migh appreciate the different perspective, WOW!! it was the Universal Spiritualist Church, Ann Gehman was the pastor.. along with several other Life changing events of that year and the next two years, ''Spirituality' has been my companion ever since..

The people i know and the places i frequent are liberally populated by young and vibrant Spiritual people.. the central Florida Spiritual Community is alive and well, not weak in any way.. it may simply be a gegraphical anomally in your area, but.. most places i visit, i easily find a thriving Spiritual Community..

Be well..
Old 24-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Master
We wouldn't even be alive without spirit, it is what we are, if we know it or not, can we do without blood ?, of course not, we can go through life not knowing we have blood within our bodies but it doesn't mean there is no blood there. But when we do know that we have blood then we understand that we have to be careful not to cut ourselves, not to do this or that as to keep our blood supply happy. So our Spirituality is the same, if we are ignorant of it we try to live our life without it, not knowing of its beauty, its connection to all, we never will Know of true love and on and on it goes. Most young people don't have a sense of connection with others around them, they are much more egocentric, they drive their cars for example like there's no tomorrow not thinking what they could do to someone else or even their self.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Master
I am thinking of the elderly when I write this as that is the population I work with. A lot of the elderly I work with (in a home) are lonely, and yes they do turn to religion and spirituality. I've asked a few of them if they were spiritual or believed in God or were religous when they were younger, and they would all reply not as much because back when they were young they weren't desparate for help or company or relief from pain etc.
People become spiritual when they are desparate IE when they are in pain and no pain meds will help, when a loved one is on the brink of death, when someone has lost a wife or husband etc etc etc.
It's a natural thing and I think there is nothing wrong with it.
Spiritlite.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Guide
Hi Supernova,

Well, as far as myself I can say that it is born in some of us. Other's not so much for whatever reason until something, a traumatic circumstance perhaps, catalyzes an interest for the spiritual in them.

We have to simply be objective too and avoid opinions because opinion is almost never reflective of actuality but is based on simple "selective perceptions" people choose in order to validate their misconclusions.

I've observed that there is typically a lack of interest in the idea of spirituality because people are mostly distracted with living in unreality as long as they are comfortable. When the time inevitably comes that people are removed from being comfortable in life and then begin to suffer, it may then be their decision to turn towards the spiritual as a means to make themsleves objective once more.

It is mainly about what the idea of spirituality represents to people - something they can resort to sanctuary in, once their attachments to things past have become the current circumstance. People are drawn to synagogues, mosques, temples, churches, etc... because they present themselves as symbols of spiritual authority people can subject themselves under and place trust in.

Spirituality, whether it's really attained or not, the mere idea of it helps people in general. It reminds me of the experiment with the infant monkey and the surrogate mothers.

I think spirituality, even in an idealistic form, allows people to create for themselves their own idea of what they are looking for when they need it most and that time is different for everyone.