Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Shim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuck72
Sorry, perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been. Judaism is still alive and well.

What I was referring to is that if you take the teachings of Jesus literally, he was teaching a different path than the path of Judaism. Instead of strict adherence to the religious dogma that surrounded Judaism during the time of Jesus, he taught a personal way to salvation, without following the numerous laws mandated by the Jewish Covenants with God.

The Old Testament was included in the Christian canon as a way to lend legitimacy to the new religion, by trying to show that it had a spiritual lineage, and wasn't something made up on the spot. The Old Testament was also used to show that Jesus was legitimate because he is said to have fulfilled the prophesies of the Old Testament.

There is a reason that Christianity is not Judaism, and Judaism is not Christianity. Trying to follow the teachings and mandates in the Old Testament and New Testament to the letter is impossible. Therefore, I believe that if you are a Christian then the teachings contained in the New Testament supersede the teachings in the Old Testament.

Hope I am a bit clearer

I think that the old covenant is considered to be a curse only by its misrepresentation. The Apostle Paul, a Jew and strict adherent to Judaism says in his message when writing over half of the New Testament:

Romans 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Whether both are seen through their similarity or difference the roots of Judaism are deep in the OT and cannot be denied. After reading a few books on the OT by Jewish Rabbis, I came away with something more it seems each time than the teachings of the Christian elders in church, so I tend to go to Judaism in regards to the OT.

Jesus taught His disciples to read the Scriptures christologically or in terms how they relate to Him, since the Scriptures speak of Him and His work. The parting of ways seems to be on the meaning and mission of Jesus. Interestingly I think that Judaism receives the dark lens at times, for Judaism, salvation consists of faithful, though not perfect, adherence to the mitzvoth. God in His mercy forgives those whose intentions are upright. I can relate to that...

Last edited by Shim : 05-04-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Well that is where you get into sticky situations, because the Bible is full of contradictions.

Jesus is quoted as saying in Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I have come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill". Which could be interpreted that the Old Testament is still in effect.

However, Jesus was called out numerous times by the Pharisees for not upholding the laws of the Old Testament. So.... Jesus himself was not following the laws of the Old Testament.

Also, the whole concept of God is totally different in the Old and New Testaments. Instead of a jealous, wrathful, and angry God (Old Testament), the New Testament portrays God as loving and merciful. (even though you will still be supposedly cast into eternal hell if you don't follow Jesus)

I believe in many ways Christians cling to the Old Testament when it is convenient, such as when you are mad "eye for an eye". Instead of Jesus' teaching of turning the other cheek.

Again there are very good reasons that Christianity is not Judaism, and Judaism is not Christianity. Unless you are following the 613 Mitzvot, you are not following the Old Testament. So if you are a Christian trying to do what both the Old and New Testament command, you are picking and choosing what to follow.

Judaism + Jesus ≠ Christianity

Nicely said...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Shim

Quote:
Well that is where you get into sticky situations, because the Bible is full of contradictions.

Jesus is quoted as saying in Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I have come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill". Which could be interpreted that the Old Testament is still in effect.

However, Jesus was called out numerous times by the Pharisees for not upholding the laws of the Old Testament. So.... Jesus himself was not following the laws of the Old Testament.

Also, the whole concept of God is totally different in the Old and New Testaments. Instead of a jealous, wrathful, and angry God (Old Testament), the New Testament portrays God as loving and merciful. (even though you will still be supposedly cast into eternal hell if you don't follow Jesus)

I believe in many ways Christians cling to the Old Testament when it is convenient, such as when you are mad "eye for an eye". Instead of Jesus' teaching of turning the other cheek.

Again there are very good reasons that Christianity is not Judaism, and Judaism is not Christianity. Unless you are following the 613 Mitzvot, you are not following the Old Testament. So if you are a Christian trying to do what both the Old and New Testament command, you are picking and choosing what to follow.

Judaism + Jesus ≠ Christianity

Here's another idea in that it is the Judeo-Christian belief that Jesus affirmed tit for tat, and that Jesus introduced a new way of non resentment, turn the cheek applies to insult, we shouldn't have to be victimized and hold a person down in submission to protect ourselves while loving them.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Master

Quote:

Jesus followed all of the Old Testament laws. The Parisees had added rules of their own and it was these rules that Jesus violated.

Quote:
In the Old Testament God was revealing his standards of righteousness and showing that we can't live up to them by our own power. Its purpose was to reveal to us that we are sinners and deserve the wrath of God. When Jesus died he took on himself the punishment that we deserve. If we put our faith in him we are no longer subject to God's wrath because the penalty for our sins has been paid. You could look at the Old Testament as a diagnosis of our sinful condition while the New Testament reveals the cure.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 PM
nventr

There are many ways to interpret the Bible. We can look at the literal events and yet miss the deeper meaning that was intended.

We must use the symbolism to decode the inner meaning. The minute Jesus uses the word "sword" he is not talking about the object of war. He is talking about the rising of the blood or Christ spirit. Hindu tradition calls this Kundalini. Taoist's call it the red dragon.

The family Jesus is referring to are the mind's inner voices or a person's issues. This passage is all about killing the flesh or cleansing the ego.

The other passage is about the outer world. Honor thy father and mother. Jesus told us he was here to fulfill the commandments of the prophets, because only when we rid ourselves of issues and ego can we truly love and honor anyone.