Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 30-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Sundialed

Elder Meditational Quotes Of The Day

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc...87&pst=1526798

"We grieve more because we have been disconnected from our earth, our first Mother, our spiritual Mother."

-- Larry P. Aitken, CHIPPEWA

Where does all life come from? The Earth. Where does everything return to? The Earth. Where do values come from? The Earth. Many people are lost because they don't know the importance of connection to the Earth. They connect to money, to relationships, to success, to goals. When we are disconnected from the Earth, we have feelings of being sad or lost. When we are connected to the Earth, we feel warm and secure.

Great Spirit, help me to stay connected to the Mother Earth

"We call it the `sacred' red road because it is the road that will lead us to living the good life, an honest and healthy life."

-- Larry P. Aitken, CHIPPEWA

The Red Road is the path we walk on when we want a direct relationship with the Great Spirit. This requires sacrifice. This requires us to have our beliefs tested. To walk this path is really an honor. The returns for doing so are exciting, not only for ourselves but for the effect that will be felt for three generations. This means your children will see the benefits as well as your grandchildren. Do I want to walk this sacred road?

Great Spirit, guide myself and my family on the Red Road.

"The journey to the Spirit World is a long one, my friend. But when you die, that doesn’t mean that this is the end."

-- —Buddy Red Bow, LAKOTA

The Elders tell us of the other dimension, the Spirit World. Our spirit in our bodies does not die, it only looks that way to our eyes and our brains. Some of our ceremonies allow us to see into the Spirit World. Death is only part of a process of life. It shows the transition into the Spirit World. The Elders tell us this is a joyful life journey.

My Creator, help me to understand both the seen world and the unseen world. Let me not be afraid of the world You live in.

"All life is a circle."

-- Rolling Thunder, CHEROKEE

The atom is a circle, orbits are circles, the earth, moon, and sun are circles. The seasons are circles. The cycle of life is a circle: baby, youth, adult, elder. The sun gives life to the earth who feeds life to the trees whose seeds fall to the earth to grow new trees. We need to practice seeing the cycles that the Great Spirit gave us because this will help us more in our understanding of how things operate. We need to respect these cycles and live in harmony with them.

Great Spirit, let me grow in knowledge of the circle.

"Always listen to what the Elders say."

-- Dona Josefa Medrano, HUICHOL, SIERRA MADRE, MEXICO

In school we have been taught to go to the encyclopedia when we need information about certain subjects. From the time we are little, we have a natural tendency to seek out role models. When we need information about living we tend to seek out books about living. These maybe self help books. The world is full of information. For the Native people, we have our Elders. All races have Elders. Our lives will run much smoother when we listen to the Elders. They don't always tell us what we want to hear, but they always tell us what we need to hear. The Elders have the ability to make the truth sweet.

Creator, thank You for the Elders. Help me this day to listen to them.

"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."

-- Willaru Huayta, QUECHUA NATION, PERU

A long time ago, the Creator put inside the human being the secrets to the laws of life. We usually know this is true even though we may not know what these laws are. If something goes wrong with our lives, we usually fix the blame on something outside of ourselves. We tend to give up accountability. One way or another we say, "It's not my fault." We need to realize that all permanent and lasting change starts on the inside and works its way out. If it's meant to be, it is up to me.

Oh Great Spirit, let me realize fully that my problems are of my own making. Therefore, so are the solutions.

"The first factor in the revolution of consciousness is the mystic death of the ego - the death of negative thinking, negative personalities. We must purify the soul of the inner enemies. Every time a defect manifests - envy, gluttony, anger, lust, whatever - that impulse to the heart. Ask, `Do I really need to invoke this?' And then honor the heart."

-- Willaru Huayta, QUECHAU NATION, PERU

Our egos have character defects. These character defects we sometimes act out and they invariably bring results to our lives that we might not want. If we continue to use these character defects, we will continue to have undesirable results in our lives. How do we change ourselves or get rid of a character defects. We can go to the heart and ask a question, make a decision, then honor the heart. For example, say I get angry today. I would go to the heart and ask, would I rather be right or would I rather be happy? How we answer this question can have an enormous impact on how our day goes. Once we decide the answer to this question, we need to honor the heart by saying, "Thank you for the power of changing my thoughts. I choose to be happy and to experience peace of mind."

Great Spirit, today, let me teach only love and learn only love.

"The most important thing now is to reveal the inner temple of the soul with right thinking and right activity."

The key to growing a strong tree is to have a good system of roots and to feed the roots with good medicine. If we put poison in the root system, it will affect the tree, and it will become obvious to the rest of the forest what is being fed to the roots. This is also true of the human being. We need to feed our roots with right thinking. If our thinking is right, it will become obvious to the rest of the people. We don't need to tell people about ourselves with our mouth because our actions always tell them.

Great Spirit, direct my thinking today. Feed my roots.

"Heal yourself - your physical and spiritual bodies. Regenerate yourself with light, and then help those who have poverty of the soul. Return to the inner spirit, which we have abandoned while looking elsewhere for happiness."

It is difficult to look inside ourselves, especially when we see conflict or confusion. During times of conflict we need to realize that we are talking to ourselves about our thoughts. This conversation is printing in our subconscious and forming our beliefs. During times of conflict we need to ask the spirit to control our self-talk. Only thorough finding that inner place and going there during troubled times will we ever find happiness.

Great Spirit, You are my peace and you dwell within me. Let me look for You within myself.

"Silence is the absolute poise or balance of body, mind and spirit."

-- Charles A. Eastman (Ohiyesa), SANTEE SIOUX

Be still and know. All new learnings, all ideas about new things, creativity, daydreaming and mental effectiveness come to those who learn about silence. All warriors know about the power of silence. All Elders know about stillness. Be still and know God. Meditation is about the place of silence. This is the place to hear God's voice. We can find tremendous amounts of knowledge in the place of silence. This is the sacred place of God.

Great Spirit, teach me the power of silence.

"In our story of Creation, we talk about each one of us having our own path to travel, and our own gift to give and to share. You see, what we say is that the Creator gave us all special gifts; each one of us is special. And each one of us is a special gift to each other because we've got something to share."

-- John Peters (Slow Turtle), WAMPANOAG

We are all equally special. We need to focus on what is right for ourselves. As we focus on what is right for ourselves, we will start to see our special gifts. Then we can see how to share our special gifts with others. If we focus on what's wrong with ourselves, we will not be able to see our gifts. Then we will think we have nothing to give others and we become selfish and withdrawn. The more we focus on our good, the more we see the good in others. The more we see the good in others, the more we see the gifts they have to share. What you sees is what you gets!

My Creator, today, let me use the gifts You have given me. Let me use them wisely.

"If people are going to get back into balance, one of the things they have to do is seek the truth. They have to start really speaking the truth themselves, and that's a difficult thing to do. The way it is now in the world, we don't mind lying."

Well everybody's doing it. Do unto others before they do unto you. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all. These are excuses and rationalizations for giving up accountability. Be true to yourself. Seek the truth, the Great Spirit is the truth. The truth shall set you free. This is the truth. We cannot be free if we are dishonest nor can we live a balanced life if we are dishonest. As we grow, we need to start taking stands. All warriors take stands. The warrior's belief is constantly being aligned to truth. The warrior will always know where he/she stands.

Great Spirit, help me today to seek Your truth, not my truth.

It's all spirit and it's all connected."

-- Grandfather William Commanda, ALGONQUIN

If everything is connected, we cannot disconnect. To disconnect is not a real choice. This is why we are always spiritual no matter what we do. Every alcoholic is spiritual. All our brothers and sisters are spiritual. We may not be behaving correctly, but nevertheless, we are spiritual. Our choice is to live out of harmony with spiritual ways or in harmony with spiritual ways. Everything is spiritual.

Great Spirit, give me the knowledge to be in harmony with the spirit today.

"It is a native tradition to sit in a circle and talk-to share what is in your heart."

Old 30-01-2011, 05:47 AM
Master
Color

All of those quotes are wonderful and I truly appreciate your sharing them with the members of this forum.

Old 30-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Master
Btw, I deleted that extra thread for you.

Old 30-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Sundialed

thank you! i would have deleted it myself if i knew how lol, thanks again
Old 30-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Sundialed

i will surely post more soon
Old 30-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Master
Staff has to delete whole threads, but for a certain amount of time (I forget how much, I think 24 hours), members can delete their own posts, fyi. Anytime you have a question about the forum or need help, feel free to PM one of the staff, administrators or moderators.

Old 30-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Sundialed

"Flexible strength is better than inflexible. Let the storm flow over you, and then pop back up."

-- Michael Kabotie, HOPI

"Parents have to demonstrate the value of trust, respect, and honor."

-- Haida Gwaii, Traditional Circle of Elders

"Hear me! A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong."

-- Tecumseh, SHAWNEE

"If you have one hundred people who live together, and if each one cares for the rest, there is One Mind."

-- Shining Arrows, CROW

"People are equal partners with the plants and animals, not their masters who exploit them."

"Male and female is fundamental to life; partners in work to be done."

"In our language there is no word to say inferior or superiority or equality because we are equal; it's a known fact. But life has become very complicated since the newcomers came here. And how does your spirit react to it?. It's painful. You have to be strong to walk through the storm. I know I'm a bridge between two worlds. All I ask is for people to wash their feet before they try to walk on me."

-- Alanis Obomsawin, ABENAKI

"In order for our children to survive in the world, they need a firm understanding and belief in the basic principles of sharing freedom and respect of individuality."

"Peace... comes within the souls of men when they realize their relationship, their oneness, with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the Universe dwells Wakan-Tanka, and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us."

-- Black Elk (Hehaka Sapa) OGLALA SIOUX

"Come forward and join hands with us in this great work for the Creator."

-- Traditional Circle of Elders, NORTHERN CHEYENNE

"The Natural Law will prevail regardless of man-made laws, tribunals, and governments."

-- Traditional Circle of Elders, NAVAJO-HOPI Joint Use Area

"We as men should not fear our mates; we should listen to their counsel."

"A man should rely on his own resources; the one who so trains himself is ready for any emergency."

-- Oral Tradition, OMAHA

"And that, I guess, is what it all boils down to; do the right thing, everything goes fine; do the wrong thing, everything's a mess."

-- Robert Spott, YUROK

"I've had a long regard for generational things: pottery, cultural things, participation in dancing, and extended family. Only in that way does culture survive; only in that way is culture active.

-- Tessie Naranjo, SANTA CLARA PUEBLO

"In the end I tell my children, there's no way I can tell you how to be an Acoma, how to be an Indian. You have to experience it."

-- Stanley Paytiamo, ACOMA PUEBLO

Each person must make their own journey. It is like every human is given a life canoe. The canoe has one seat and one paddle. In order to get anything out of life we must be in the canoe and we must paddle down the river of life. Now, I can share with you how my journey has been, but I cannot paddle your canoe. You must paddle your own. Good luck!

Creator, I'm so glad I have You to guide my path.

"Listen to the howl of our spiritual brother, the wolf, for how it goes with him, so it goes for the natural world."

"The smarter a man is the more he needs God to protect him from thinking he knows everything."

-- George Webb, PIMA

"Someone must speak for them. I do not see a delegation for the four footed. I see no seat for eagles. We forget and we consider ourselves superior, but we are after all a mere part of the Creation."

-- Oren Lyons, ONONDAGA

"Life, the circle, a measurement with no beginning and no end."

-- Phillip Deere, MUSKOGEE-CREEK

"People say that crisis changes people and turns ordinary people into wiser or more responsible ones."

-- Wilma Mankiller, CHEROKEE

"The Natural Law is a spiritual law. Its powers are both light and dark."

-- Oren R. Lyons, Spokesman Traditional Circle of Elders

There are some characteristics that are evident in the system which the Creator made. He made balance, harmony, and polarity. In other words, every (+) plus has a (-) minus. Every positive has a negative; every up has a down; every problem has a solution. The Spiritual Law is the same - it has light and dark. Both are good, so both need to be honored. Lessons can be learned on both sides.

Great Spirit, teach me the powers of the Natural Laws.

"In our traditional ways, the woman is the foundation of the family."

-- Haida Gwaii Traditional Circle of Elders

"People and nations who understand the Natural Law are self-governing, following the principles of love and respect that insure freedom and peace."

-- Traditional Circle of Elders, NAVAJO-HOPI Joint Use Area

"Things would go well for us if we would think positively about everything."

-- Mary Hayes, CLAOQUOT

"We're sitting on our blessed Mother Earth from which we get our strength and determination, love and humility, all the beautiful attributes that we've been given. So turn to one another; love one another; respect one another; respect Mother Earth; respect the waters-because that's life itself!"

-- Phil Lane, Sr. YANKTON SIOUX

"It's the most precious thing...to know absolutely where you belong. There's a whole emotional wrapping-around-of-you here. You see the same rock, tree, road, clouds, sun -- you develop a nice kind of intimacy with the world around you. To be intimate is to grow, to learn...[it] is absolutely fulfilling. Intimacy, that's my magic word for why I live here."

-- Tessie Maranjo, SANTA CLARA PUEBLO

"In the absence of the sacred, nothing is sacred, everything is for sale."

-- Oren Lyons, ONONDAGA

"Money cannot buy affection."

-- Mangas Coloradas, APACHE

Where there is vision, the people live. They are made rich in the things of the spirit; and then, as the logical next step, they are rich in human life.

-- Phil Lane, Sr., YANKTON SIOUX

"Language is a vehicle for carrying spirit, life, and family. Language, religion, and land base are three things that characterize culture."

-- Edmund Ladd, ZUNI PUEBLO

"See how the boy is with his sister and the other ones of his home lodge and you can know how the man will be with your daughter."

-- LAKOTA Proverb

"Abuse and repression have no place in a traditional family."

"It is well to be good to women in the strength of our manhood because we must sit under their hands at both ends of our lives."

-- He Dog, OGLALA LAKOTA

"You could study the ancestors, but without a deep feeling of communication with them it would be surface learning and surface talking. Once you have gone into yourself and have learned very deeply, appreciate it, and relate to it very well, everything will come very easily."

-- Ellen White, NANAIMO

"The honor of the people lies in the moccasin tracks of the woman. Walk the good road.... Be dutiful, respectful, gentle, and modest my daughter... Be strong with the warm, strong heart of the earth. No people goes down until their women are weak and dishonored, or dead upon the ground. Be strong and sing the strength of the Great Powers within you, all around you."

-- Village Wise Man, SIOUX

"Praying is what has brought us old people through life. We've all gone through hard times. We've all done our share of bad things. But through our prayers and faith in the Creator we get together again and we try hard to live right."

-- Paula Weasel Head, BLOOD

"My children, you have forgotten the customs and traditions of your forefathers. ...You have bought guns, knives, kettles, and blankets from the white man until you can no longer do without them; and what is worse you have drunk the poison firewater, which turns you into fools. Fling all these things away; live as your forefathers did before you."

-- Pontiac, ODOWA

"Mothers must protect the lives they have helped to bring into the world."

"Our religion seems foolish to you, but so does yours to me. The Baptists and Methodists and Presbyterians and the Catholics all have a different God. Why cannot we have one of our own?"

-- Sitting Bull, HUNKPAPA LAKOTA

"O Great Spirit Whose voice I hear in the winds, And whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me! I am small and weak. I need your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset."

-- from, PRAYER TO THE GREAT SPIRIT

"It seems that if Elders can feel that you are open to learning, they are more than generous with their teaching."

-- Chief Councilor, Lenard George

"What does it matter how long I pray, so long as my prayers are answered?"

-- Sitting Bull, HUNKPAPA LAKOTA

"We create that bad among ourselves. We create it; then we try to call it devil, satan, or evil. But man creates it. There is no devil. Man creates the devil."

-- Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA

"We do not walk alone. Great Being walks beside us. Know this and be grateful."

-- Polingaysi Q“yawayma, HOPI

"Growth is a painful process."

-- Wilma Mankiller, CHEROKEE

"There is one God looking down on us all. We are children of the one God. God is listening to me. The sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we now say."

-- Geronimo, APACHE

"The teachings are for all, not just for Indians... The white people never wanted to learn before. They thought we were savages. Now they have a different understanding, and they do want to learn. We are all children of God. The tradition is open to anyone who wants to learn."

-- Don Jose Matusuwa, HUICHOL