Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 18-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Master
when i read tarot i never charged for a reading. somehow it felt ... wrong (for me), like the exchange of money dirtied the vibes somehow. i did accept non-cash gifts if the person i read for needed to give me something. pastries, a scarf, a little piece of jewelry, a book ... stuff like that.

but just because accepting money for readings felt wrong for me doesn't mean i feel it's wrong for other folks to charge for their psychic services.
Old 18-03-2011, 01:19 PM
easy

I like the many responses here... there is nothing wrong in receiving money from another.. the problem lies in which way is the money being exchanged.

The Spirit tends to repay us in so many ways... many more profitable in the long run that 5 bucks now :)
Old 19-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit72
Ok I struggle to except that mediums charge for reading... I dont because I don't feel comfortable, but keep being told to charge, as the money completes the energy exchange...?
I dont feel happy about it, because everyone should be able to have readings... But my family and mentor are getting cross with me because I bleed myself dry for nothing, but I don't see it that way...

What do you think...?

How much would you expect to be charged...?

Hello Spirit..

I do understand the idea of exchange of energies and it makes sense..

But you might offer to those who are counseling to charge, that you ARE receiving... You feel good when you provide this service to others! The exchange does not have to involve an exchange of money..

I would say let YOUR feelings be your guide..... It may appear to others that you are being 'bled dry' but if you do not feel that way - it is simply not so...

Other people's opinions and feelings matter in that they have the value of opening you up to new ideas and alternate perspectives of your self and your situation.. They cause you to ask yourself how you feel about your situation (or yourself) but still the most important factor to consider is how you feel about it ultimately..

It sounds like you are firm in how good you feel about what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Now just because that is the case now doesn't mean that you won't find yourself feeling differently later and that's ok!

Periodic re-evaluation of your beliefs and ways of operating is healthy.

At the same time, considering alternatives doesn't mean you have to change anything either...

Go with your feelings... They are you best guidance!

Blessings to you!

Cam/EarthMamma
Old 20-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Ciqala

i don't believe that spirit asks for money. it is unacceptable to charge for any spiritual practice or healing or growth. furthermore, there's this guy who holds those groups for "introductory to shamanism" (how on earth do you hold an introductory class to shamanism in an hour) or "how to meet your spirit guides" basic tiny things for 500 dollars an hour, i just know that everyones spirit guides are going to be in that room, and if those people manage to communicate to their guides, the spirit guides will be like "what the? Who does this guy think he is? We never asked for money!" and they'll probably throw invisible tomatoes or spit balls at him.

I mean, i used to help hold ceremonies, and it was the same thing. People would bring extravagant jewellery or money for me and my mentor, and we'd just look at each other, and say, "okay, well did you bring an offering to spirit?" And the spirits would be not amused!
I'm just so against charging money for these things, because if your trying to help someone, do it out of love, not your pocket book ego. I've gone to so many groups, where some hippy chick does a few yoga postures and labels it meditation, and asks for 12 dollars from each person, for absolutely nothing. Or spiritual groups where they give you a tea bag, and a little discussion, but it all costs 100 bucks.
And i would never trust any medium or psychic who asks for money.
I mean come on, i live under 300 dollars a month, and i can still get by helping people for free. spirituality shouldn't be a business. this is probably the only thing in the world that can get me worked up. All apologies
(done my rant)
Old 20-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Serenity Bear

I wondered when this time old arguement would rear its head.

In the mediumship circles there are two trains of thoughts, those that wont charge (its a gift) and those who do charge (its an energy transaction) and oh its Spirit lead I can't charge etc etc etc.

Lets put it this way and Spirit agree whole heartedly:

If you can do readings and live without charging then do so HOWEVER if you will starve, loose your house, become in debt because you need the money then CHARGE.

This has nothing whats so ever to do with Spirit, they would never expect you to live below a decent income level and get into debt by not charging. It has everything to do with the mentality of those who believe mediumship is a devine gift.

If someone was a great pianist, artists, patchworker, dog behaviourist etc etc you wouldnt expect them to do things for free every time, so why expect mediumship to be the same. By the way a gift doesnt need a lot of hard work and training to do it properly and anyone who is a decent medium has had many years in development circles, and Spirit.

Everyone has different financial needs and it really gets my goat that some put on their hats to put down other mediums because they need to charge to be able to eat.

Iv never charged because I have never financially had to, but believe me if its the difference between a roof over my head and food in the cupboard I will.

PS: I am talking of charging the average amount (about £20-35), and not like some American Mediums Iv heard of who charge $3000 per session.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Deactivated Account
I can't see the issue. Mediums have to buy their bread and butter like everyone else. If they are fortunate enough to be in a positive to help many people they will be giving up their time and hence will need money to make ends meet. If they are lucky to not need extra money and can offer services for free then fine, but I suspect most are not in that position. Therapists/counsellors and other helping professionals also charge but it doesn't mean their services aren't genuine or that they don't care, or even that they shouldn't charge. 99.9% of the time they are offering their services because they DO care, but caring sadly doesn't make them immune to needing food and a roof over their heads.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:52 AM
earthprowler

i don't get to give readings as much as i would like to and i've never charged, even given two hour readings as long as spirit stays with me. but the best payment i have ever received was when I "saw" grandma bringing the new baby who lives across the street from me. he's 4 now and cute as a button. that was worth every penny.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:55 AM
cluckt

Im not a medium, but i know your very good at what you do, and for the service you provide i would usually expect to pay something. It takes alot of your time and you should be compensated in some way for that. xxx
Old 20-03-2011, 07:37 PM
eyesee

Be lead by your spirit

I too have had times when I felt that I should not charge for services that are of a spiritual nature...and so I did not charge.

I have always lived a very modest and oft times impoverished life as an adult, but I do NOT believe that this is because I must. I also do not feel that charging for a service is "bad".

I found that asking for a donation; meaning, whatever someone felt was appropriate and also IF they felt I was helpful to them to begin with, worked well for me.

However, I agree with others here who have said that we are not expected to starve and martyr ourselves to be of service with our psychic gifts. ALL of our gifts are given by spirit, whether it be the gift of song, molecular biologist, mechanic, hairdresser or poet...we give of ourselves and share our strengths in order to be a part of this life. Money is just ONE form of energy exchange and nothing to get so hung up on. It is not evil, it is just one way to show that we value a service...that's all.

OK...so, I guess that's it from my corner...(stepping quietly of the soapbox now... )

Blessings all,
eyesee
Old 20-03-2011, 07:43 PM
tragblack

Before I pay for anything, I see if I can do it myself.