Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 10-08-2024, 01:20 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBob
Perhaps not so simple when we consider the complexity of factors which must come together in each moment to constitute our sense of beingness. What is prior to consciousness? What is the space between thoughts?
Imo 'I Am' is the basic nature of being, before limitations and identity are added, before, "I am a human, I am a man, I am Welsh, I am a vegetarian etc."

'I Am' is then the sacred name of the Self/God, which may be used as a mantra for some, to turn the mind from limiting and identifying as this or that.

Imo 'I Am' is the simplest quality of being conscious, without any added confusion of being this or that. Consciousness is the simple basic nature of being aware. I'd say that there is no source of Consciousness, which is unlimited. There is nothing prior to Consciousness, as space and time appear in consciousness. The thoughts and the space between thoughts is Consciousness. There is only Consciousness.
Old 10-08-2024, 04:13 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcup7
Consciousness is the simple basic nature of being aware. I'd say that there is no source of Consciousness, which is unlimited. There is nothing prior to Consciousness, as space and time appear in consciousness. The thoughts and the space between thoughts is Consciousness. There is only Consciousness.

In his seminal text, the spiritual classic “I Am That”, Nisargadatta Maharaj clarifies the difference between consciousness and awareness:

Q: You use the words ‘aware’ and ‘conscious’. Are they not the same?

M: Awareness is primordial; it is the original state, beginningless, endless, uncaused, unsupported, without parts, without change. Consciousness is on contact, a reflection against a surface, a state of duality. There can be no consciousness without awareness, but there can be awareness without consciousness, as in deep sleep. Awareness is absolute, consciousness is relative to its content; consciousness is always of something. Consciousness is partial and changeful, awareness is total, changeless, calm and silent. And it is the common matrix of every experience.

Q: How does one go beyond consciousness into awareness?

M: Since it is awareness that makes consciousness possible, there is awareness in every state of consciousness. Therefore the very consciousness of being conscious is already a movement in awareness. Interest in your stream of consciousness takes you to awareness. It is not a new state. It is at once recognised as the original, basic existence, which is life itself, and also love and joy."

__/\__
Old 10-08-2024, 06:51 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBob
In his seminal text, the spiritual classic “I Am That”, Nisargadatta Maharaj clarifies the difference between consciousness and awareness... Awareness is primordial; it is the original state, beginningless, endless, uncaused... Consciousness is on contact, a reflection against a surface, a state of duality.
Thanks, Bob. It's a beautiful quote.

I generally use Awareness and Consciousness as the same, and consider mind to be perhaps what Nisargadatta terms as consciousness. But it makes a lot of sense how he describes it.