Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Born with only one kidney (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=117177)

A human Being 26-09-2017 12:21 PM

Born with only one kidney

When I was fourteen my appendix burst, and when I had an ultrasound scan to survey the damage they discovered that I only had the one kidney :eek: This seems very unusual, is it actually more common than I think it is? And what would cause such an abnormality? Did some feckless swine harvest m'vital organ in a past life?

Faith33 26-09-2017 12:27 PM

Haha, AHB!
An uncle of mine was born with one kidney and found out in his 70's!
He is now 83 and still going strong... proof that one kidney can sometimes work the job of two:)

A human Being 26-09-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith33
Haha, AHB!
An uncle of mine was born with one kidney and found out in his 70's!
He is now 83 and still going strong... proof that one kidney can sometimes work the job of two:)

Blimey :icon_eek: Good for him though, glad to hear he's still going strong :)

I googled it, it's actually got a name - 'kidney agenesis' (dang, and I thought I might be able to get a condition named after me - I'll make it into the medical journal yet!). Yeah, you can live a perfectly normal and long life with the condition, just means you don't have an insurance policy I guess (and heck, what are family for if not for organ donations :laughing11:).

Always nice to see you, Faith, I hope everything's well with you :hello2:

Faith33 27-09-2017 06:51 AM

Haha, yes! What are family members for, right?! Have you had them tested for compatibility yet? :laughing11:
May you never have a medical condition named after you... good health is precious and I wish it upon you always.

Good to see you too, AHB! :hug3:

A human Being 27-09-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith33
Haha, yes! What are family members for, right?! Have you had them tested for compatibility yet? :laughing11:
May you never have a medical condition named after you... good health is precious and I wish it upon you always.

Good to see you too, AHB! :hug3:

Not yet, but I've put it on my to-do list - thanks for the pointer :laughing11: And you're right, of course, good health is precious indeed and I wish it upon you always, too :hug3:

Dude 28-09-2017 10:39 AM

Yup defo had organs harvested there AWhB lol ;)

We don't actually need two- I wonder why we was given back up for that organ and not the rest though- I mean surely something more useful could have been doubled up!

A human Being 28-09-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude
Yup defo had organs harvested there AWhB lol ;)

We don't actually need two- I wonder why we was given back up for that organ and not the rest though- I mean surely something more useful could have been doubled up!

Hey D, nice to see you! :hello2:

I bloody knew it - ooh when I find out who did it, I'll relieve them of a lung and see how they like it! And yeah that's a really good question, something that's never occurred to me before - I've lobbied the Big Guy for a second pancreas, not sure why exactly just thinking it might come in useful down the line...

:D

Dude 30-09-2017 10:58 PM

You too :) although now I'm thinking pft only half the men you once was haha

Er.... dude "I have lobbied the big guy for a second pancreas" sounds so wrong (insert shocked face) haha but yeah it's a strange one ay!

So are you worried about just having the one? This day and age you really have nothing to worry about, they can replace all sorts these days, your replacement kidney is probably being grown as we speak! (Insert picture of a mouse with a kidney on his back haha)

A human Being 01-10-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude
You too :) although now I'm thinking pft only half the men you once was haha

Er.... dude "I have lobbied the big guy for a second pancreas" sounds so wrong (insert shocked face) haha but yeah it's a strange one ay!

So are you worried about just having the one? This day and age you really have nothing to worry about, they can replace all sorts these days, your replacement kidney is probably being grown as we speak! (Insert picture of a mouse with a kidney on his back haha)

Ouch, kidney blow! You monster! Um, I'm afraid you'll have to explain what's wrong with that line, it's going over my head :D

As for whether I'm worried - actually no, I'm uncharacteristically blasé about it but now I'm wondering if I should be worried :eek: You're right, though, I'm sure my mouse-kidney's being grown in a lab somewhere as we speak and I take pretty good care of myself, too, so I'm not too concerned :)

Dude 07-10-2017 09:42 AM

Nothing to worry about at all dude :) if there was, why would so many people dish them out? It’s interesting you was born without one though. Your defo right to not be worried :)