Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non Duality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   In depth disscussion on Nisargadatta's 'I am That' (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119677)

Shivani Devi 18-04-2018 02:47 AM

Ah, Ralph Waldo Emerson....I have a lot of time for him.

I meant to tell him that he misnamed his poem...instead of "Brahma" it should be "Brahman" - two totally different concepts entirely...but I'll forgive Ralph. =)

winter light 30-04-2018 03:45 AM

I read all of "I Am That" and I found Nisargadatta to be an exceptional teacher. Though I can only rememeber a few details they have stayed with me. I have a lot of admiration.

His presence strong while being perfectly adjusted to the student who he was adressing. Where they were stubborn he ignored their antics and got straight to the point, with unwavering force but without being defensive or agressive. Where they were insecure he was patient and asked them questions and listened intently so that he could guide them thoughtfully.

Some highlights as I recall:

In summary when asked how he became enlightened, he said "I did what my teacher told me to do".

When asked what was required from a student in general and in case they did not have a teacher, "The most important thing is earnestness. That is all you need."

StrandedSnowMonkey 01-05-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
A lot of good things said in that chapter...

Yes! I have a used copy of the book on the way. Fear can arise due to awakening, and the feeling of being alone/separation.

StrandedSnowMonkey 14-05-2018 07:40 PM

It's finally turned up! :)

After a quick flick through...

Page 576
Q: What do you mean by saying, "I know myself as I am?"
M: Before the mind - I am. 'I am' is not a thought in the mind;
the mind happens to me, I do not happen to the mind. And
since time and space are in the mind, I am beyond time and
space, eternal and omnipresent.
Q: Are you serious? Do you really mean that you exist everywhere
and at all times?
M: Yes, I do. To me it is as obvious as freedom of movement
is to you. Imagine a tree asking a monkey, "Do you seriously
mean that you can move from place to place?" And the monkey
saying, "Yes, I do."

:D

davidsun 14-05-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrandedSnowMonkey
I am beyond time and
space, eternal and omnipresent.

Which 'begs the question' (as the saying goes) as to just why (for what possibly 'greater full-fill-ment' purpose) said 'I' might have created time and space to 'monkey' :smile: about in the first place. 'Getting' back to one's 'origin' ('original state') or desiring to 'do' and 'be' so, strikes this 'I' as being akin to desiring to 'get' back 'into' one's mother's 'womb' - as though that could ever 'really' permanently (as opposed to merely image-in-natively, for periods of time :biggrin:) be done!

Each to his or her own 'taste' in terms of preferred/desired adventure-destination, I suppose.

StrandedSnowMonkey 15-05-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidsun
Which 'begs the question' (as the saying goes) as to just why (for what possibly 'greater full-fill-ment' purpose) said 'I' might have created time and space to 'monkey' :smile: about in the first place.

You may be interested in this article out today.

Quote:

"The prison is our sense of separation and only liberation can reveal that there never was a prison in the first place." Richard Sylvester - 'Words on non-duality - I Hope You Die Soon'

and back to the book (Page 576):

M: The world itself is a miracle. I am beyond miracles - I am absolutely normal. With me everything happens as it must.