PDA

View Full Version : Feel awkward about public prayer

Miko
29-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Ever since I was a child, I have never felt comfortable with public prayer, even in church. I did not like to bow my head and listen to the preacher say a prayer. It never felt right to me. This is not my prayer, I am only listening to what my preacher is wanting us to think and say to god. I felt prayer should be a private matter between a person and with god.

I grew up Babtist, and my family always prays at thanksgiving and christmas and I always feel akward about it. I do not like to give prayers in front of people and I do not bow my head. I feel that even the bible and Jesus was against it per below:

(5)”And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. (6)But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you...– Matthew 6.5-8 NASB

There is just too much contridiction with the Christian belief. I don't go to church because of this reason, along with many other reasons. I'm sure my family thinks I am being odd and disrespectful, but I just don't believe in it. I just hope they understand and respect my beliefs, but I'm sure they never will :(

Is there anyone else who has an issue or opinion with this concept?

Thanks,
-Miko

Shim
29-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Deleted...

psychoslice
29-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Matthew 6:4-6 (King James Version)

4That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Shim
29-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Deleted...

daisy
29-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I felt prayer should be a private matter between a person and with god.

I totally agree unless it is some kind of group prayer such as praying collectively to help some kind of disaster or something like that.

Spiritlite
29-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I agree that prayer should be with that person and God or like daisy just said.
Spiritlite.

Shim
29-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Deleted...

Kalikdania
30-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Miko,

I was raised by a very Catholic dad and a very "Spiritual" mom so I understand a bit about the issues you're having. I was lucky enough to be immersed in biblical study as well as encouraged to question and be a free-thinker. I ultimately decided, for myself, that the many contradictions and unexplainable discrepancies in the Bible (due to mis-interpretations and mis-translations by Men, who, we can all agree on, are only human) were too great to have blind faith. And none of the human's I know are perfect. Plus, most of us are reading the bible in it's translated form from original Hebrew, of which to this day, many words and meanings are still disputed. I would recommend watching the movie Religulous by Bill Maher, which I'm sure any Christian person would say is blasphemous...but it definately brings to light some important questions.

I do believe in the power and place of prayer, and think the person praying should feel comfortable doing so. If you choose to be alone and pray, then do that and don't worry what anyone else thinks or ask for justification. Do what feels right for you always. I personally don't believe in rules.

All my best to you Miko!

Miss Hepburn
30-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Anyone care to share any thoughts about Matthew 6:4-6? Maybe give some insight or history to who Jesus was talking to? And what led Him to say these things. Perhaps one of us or someone else may lead us in prayer first for the wisdom to discern the truth in these verses? Then, we may also consider putting the verses in complete context.

Darn. I have to run right now, but may I say, not exactly answering you about context right now. (But wasn't He refering to the Pharisees all
adorned in the streets with their 'holy' outfits and praying aloud? Bringing all sorts of attention to themselves?)

For me it is Jesus' way to help us curb our ego (devil) and the many ways it manfests...well, pride here.
Yes, going to a closet, closing the door to the (inner) room - what is meant is the closet within inside that dwells in our hearts; that Secret Place, PS 91. :smile:
They didn't know any better back then - all they had for examples were those darn Pharisees

Have a blessed day,
:smile: Miss Hepburn

Ps Shim, could you fill in a little info on your Profile?
I don't know if you're male or female or anything?
I'm trying to get a feel for people here since this is my 2nd day!
Hope that didn't sound pushy - I just want to get to know a little
about who I'm talking to - no biggy.
Right now, I'm picturing a man older than 45 in the USA.

Shim
30-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Deleted...

Kapitan_Prien
30-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Just a question - with regards to all the verse quoting...

...has anyone thought of getting a Bibilcal Concordant to go with your Bible so you can look up the translations of what the Hebrew and Greek really mean?

There is also another type of Bible - I think it's called the New English Version which is the type the Quakers used which is quite different from the 'standard' types.

I'm just saying this because there is someone I know who is both very spiritual, but also a devout Christian who has a concordant and looks up the translations to the verses in order to understand the Bible better.

Shim
30-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Hello Kapitan_Prien,

Yes, and may I recommend Strong's Concordance.

Lynn
30-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Hello

Well going to school we had the Lord's Prayer as our opening one every morning. The whole class would do it. Well some went to the coat room. That did not agree with it. I never understood this as they could STILL hear it said. I found that unfair. If one did not choose to partake should they have to hear it still.

That rule was changed in schools as more and more mulit cultural students came in. Did I ever FEEL what I said . NO it was reciting what we were told to say.

Growing up was not the best for me from early on I could see and talk with Spirit. Too I prayed for understandings with this even asked in Church for the same. Never came. ( too I know now silece was best for the times I lived in).

I am a member of a Metaphysical Church and there is an opening Prayer of Blessing or Meditation. We do not all way it but we FEEL it in our own way. I feel comfortable with this way of blessings.

We too do a healing Blessing. This is either a pre set one or one that the person leading Service chooses again WE feel it in the way we wish.

Prayer is a personal thing BUT too it can be FULLY embraced as a commmunal thing if one puts self in that place of it being for the OVER ALL good .

Lynn

Kapitan_Prien
30-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Shim -

That may be the one she has, but I don't know. All I know is that it is a big book!