PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Paganism & Interfaith?

Honza
02-09-2012, 04:33 PM
They seem pretty similar to me. Paganism has no fixed set of beliefs and neither does Interfaith. They both pretty much seem to accept one and all. Is there a real difference?

Quintessence
03-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I have to ask why you're capitalizing "interfaith" as if it is a proper noun and a religion in of itself. What do you mean by "interfaith?" It's my understanding that all "interfaith" means is a dialogue or project between distinct religions. By that definition, it simply isn't possible for a single religious category to be interfaith, since it is... well... one religious category. Yes, within any broad religious category - whether we're talking Neopaganism or Christianity - you can have interfaith dialogues, but I wouldn't frame that in the way you seem to be.

Honza
03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
My understanding is that Interfaith actually IS a religion all by itself. If it is not now then it certainly could become one. It is not just the dialogue between two seperate religions. It is a vocation and religious teaching all of its own. Interfaith is an ideaology and a spiritual practice. It is a very new idea and spiritual practice, therefore it is not recognised much.

Quintessence
03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Hmm. Perhaps it is like Unitarian Universalism, then? I'm familiar with that group since I'm a lapsed member of a fellowship. Either way, I clearly don't know enough about Interfaith-as-religion to make a sound comparison. I have strong knowledge on the (Neo)Paganism end, but not on the other. Intuitively, it doesn't feel right to use the two as synonyms.

Sungirl
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Paganism, although an umbrella term does have a number of specifics that most agree on.

The problem with the term pagan is it's like the term "christianity" in that it covers a number of different things.

The main headings are
Wiccan
Druid
Heathen
Hedgewitch
Solitary/eclectic

However, most pagans will believe the following:

A need for duality of gender in deity, so there will more than likely be a god and a goddess of similar standing.

A strong connection to and respect for the earth and the cycle of the seasons.

There is also weight given to the 4 elements along with Spirit and their connection to the cardinal points of the compass.

Many of them celebrate the 8 festivals throughout the year.

Heathens are the only pagans (that I know of) that will differ to that as a group. But I am not an expert on Heathenry so I can't be sure.

There is generally a leaning towards the "old ways".

Many pagans are also witches of some kind, however not all witches are pagan.

I got with Quintessence in that I see interfaith as the coming together of many different faiths in respect and harmony, but not having similar beliefs.

I consider myself a pagan lightworker and would totally reject the use of the term interfaith in a way of defining my path.

Quintessence
03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I would use a much different list for commonalities amongst Pagan religions. That list is very biased towards Wicca, which is definitely not representative of Paganism as a whole. It is somewhat better at representing NEOpaganism, but only because Wicca is probably the most influential movement within Neopaganism.

Sungirl
03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Quintessance.... in the end, how someone interprets paganism is very subjective.

First of all you have to take into consideration the difference between what the Brits understand the words "wicca" to be and what the US guys understand of it. I am a Brit so "wicca" is a part of paganism based around what Gerald Gardener wrote back in the 1950's.

I don't follow his view on paganism and would most closely resemble a solitary.

However, I find it hard to believe that any pagan doesn't connect to the earth and the seasons. Yes, I can see there being those that don't work with a god and goddess, such as the Dianic pagans, but surely you would say that nature is important to you?

No?

In the end I said "many pagans"... I know not to lump them all in together on anything.

If we (read "the pagan community") really can't agree on anything at all then we may as well scrap the label completely and just call ourselves something completely different to anyone else.

Honza
03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Is there much infighting within the Pagan community?

Sungirl
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
in as much as people not agreeing on what it is?

I would say "fighting" is a little strong. However there are a lot of different opinions as to what paganism actually is.

The problem is there is no book of truths like the bible. Traditions have been handed down and also new traditions being created.

The handed down stuff can be very different because for so many years it had to be kept secret.

I tend to listen to the land and follow my own path rather than any set of handed down rules.

There can be a lot of scorn between groups.. some will look at others and say they are too fluffy, or too neo-pagan and not honouring the ancestors. You even get different kinds of druids. My friend is one kind and I was talking about Bobcat and she sat there and said that she didn't think she was a druid of any kind she had heard of.

This is why the term Pagan is so difficult to define... it covers sooooo much

Sungirl
03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
in which case it is quite the opposite of interfaith :D

Quintessence
03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Hah. Based on some "discussions" I've seen, infighting is definitely not too strong of a word. I don't suspect there is any more or less of it than there is in any other community group, however. People fight. It's what they do, irrespective of group identities.

I had to comment on the Wiccan slant of that list, because the trend of treating Wicca and Neopaganism as synonymous is bothersome to non-Wiccan Neopagans, nor does it reflect non-neo practices. Small changes in how things were said would go a long way. The list I tend to use - which is largely derived from the work of a scholar on Paganism - is this one:

When defining religions, we need to bear in mind that the process of capturing a vast territory with a single word can obscure underlying depth and breadth. I use a single word - Paganism - to describe a group of religious practices that vary significantly beneath that broad label. The list below represents an overview of qualities and characteristics typically seen in Pagan religions. They degree of weight given to each will vary, but each is present to some degree. Each of these will be explained in more detail further on.

Locality-oriented. Pagan practices are an expression of the surrounding local environment.
Nature-centered. Pagans conceive of the sacred in a way that is inexorably tied to the natural world.
Pluralistic. Pagans are tolerant of diverse god-concepts as they themselves have diverse god-concepts.
Immanent. Pagans see the divine as primarily manifest within the world rather than separate from it.
Experiential. Pagan practices are rooted in experience and living mythology rather than dogma.
Hedonistic. Pagans accept self-satisfaction, worldliness, and pleasure as essential human experiences.

I do not use Paganism synonymously with Neopaganism or with paganism (lower case), FYI. I didn't actually bother to write about those distinctions in the rest of that file, because I was only interested in defining Paganism as a world religion, inspired largely by the work of the scholar Michael York. *chuckles* It's in my head, though.

Honza
03-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I learn more every day! :wink: Thanks you two.

Wisa'ka
04-09-2012, 11:17 AM
They seem pretty similar to me. Paganism has no fixed set of beliefs and neither does Interfaith. They both pretty much seem to accept one and all. Is there a real difference?

Another great question, Honza.:smile:

Rin
04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Paganism, like any other grouping would be a subset of the interfaith movement.
Inter-faith! To me that is quite clear, it is not about beliefs and who is right and wrong, better or worse, more true or not, but interaction, discussion, exploration, between faiths, any faith.

Sungirl
04-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Interfaith includes people of different faiths, they will use a different label to describe themselves, they can be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Pagan, Catholic... yada yada yada....

Personally I would say that although Paganism doesn't have a set list of attributes you either are or you're not. You know if you are Pagan.

I still stand by my (british) list of common beliefs.

Because we don't easily agree on anything it is easy to think that we are airy fairy with no belief at all.. and I can say this is definitely not true.

It also makes me laugh that we want to be accepted as a recognised religion and yet we can't even agree on what that religion is made up of!

Quintessence
04-09-2012, 08:08 PM
No major religious demographic can agree on what it is made up of. It's what happens whenever you have a religion of more than one person. *shrug*

Morpheus
07-09-2012, 09:20 AM
in as much as people not agreeing on what it is?

I would say "fighting" is a little strong. However there are a lot of different opinions as to what paganism actually is.

The problem is there is no book of truths like the bible. Traditions have been handed down and also new traditions being created.

The handed down stuff can be very different because for so many years it had to be kept secret.

I tend to listen to the land and follow my own path rather than any set of handed down rules.

There can be a lot of scorn between groups.. some will look at others and say they are too fluffy, or too neo-pagan and not honouring the ancestors. You even get different kinds of druids. My friend is one kind and I was talking about Bobcat and she sat there and said that she didn't think she was a druid of any kind she had heard of.

This is why the term Pagan is so difficult to define... it covers sooooo much

Paganism us the belief and worship of numerous gods, as had been popular in ancient Greece and Rome.
Babylon, Egypt, etc.
While Pantheism is about many gods as aspects, representing One Supreme Deity.

I've viewed, "Interfath", as recognizing the mystical aspects of the various faiths,
and the agreement of all at their essence, at that level, in alignment with each other.

There is One Truth. God is Truth.

Sungirl
07-09-2012, 02:44 PM
No major religious demographic can agree on what it is made up of. It's what happens whenever you have a religion of more than one person. *shrug*

But as a rule, generally, there is a large number of them that can agree on one date for their festivals. I mean you ask most Christians when christmas is and they will say Dec 5th... even easter, that moves, has a rule as to when it is (all be it based on a pagan formula).

In the UK Pagans are trying to get the Pagan festivals recognised as religious dates so they can book them off for holiday, but you ask someone when Imbog is... even if they call it Imbolg.. or is it Imbolc, Oilmec (is that right?)... what about Ostara, or Oestra?

Personally I am happy for it to be really free flow and not be "recognised" but I know others do, and if they do, they need to find a way to agree on some stuff.

Morpheus
08-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Honza

Is the destire and search for, "Truth", important?

There is ultimately, one Truth.