PDA

View Full Version : Gayatri Mantra and Christianity

astroboy
31-05-2011, 04:22 PM
One of my favorite rituals is listening to an audio of The Gayatri Mantra. I love to hear it, but also to feel the message entering my heart. Would it be against Christianity to recite this mantra? I have found it to be very universal and nothing in the mantra goes against other religions. It is merely asking the Beloved for Guidance to live in a way that we are made aware of Supreme Reality.

Are there mantras like this in Christianity also? If so, I would love to hear about them.

Thank you!!

Time
31-05-2011, 05:12 PM
LOng story short, it doesnt matter. If it feels right for you, then do it. It wont cause harm to anyone ( unless your family is hardcore catholic or christian), but its YOUR life, that is made by YOUR choices, god or not.

IF it feels that good, i dont see anything wrong with it,

Id say god would be more happy that you are happy and loving, then worrying about stipulations

peteyzen
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
so right time, so right.
Jesus would love you to be enhanced by the gayatri mantra.
As for how chrisitianity the religion sees it, I am unsure.

Time
01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Thats the problem I think, i know many christians that would agree with me. But there are many that would say you are a sinner, taken over by satan, which is a horrible thing to say about something that obviously creates alot of joy and happiness for you.

So i stick with my original post :P

astroboy
02-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Here's a good explanation of the Gayatri Mantra
http://wahiduddin.net/mantra/gayatri.htm

supernova
02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
One of my favorite rituals is listening to an audio of The Gayatri Mantra. I love to hear it, but also to feel the message entering my heart. Would it be against Christianity to recite this mantra? I have found it to be very universal and nothing in the mantra goes against other religions. It is merely asking the Beloved for Guidance to live in a way that we are made aware of Supreme Reality.

Are there mantras like this in Christianity also? If so, I would love to hear about them.

Thank you!!

Faith is a personal domain not a social or political good. If we try to own a faith and try to politicize it we become a fanatic and the faith becomes infected. I feel comfortable with all religious people.I can feel comfortable with Muslims in their mosques and I pray in togetherness. I do no care whether the God I am praying is Hindu or Muslim or Buddhist or Christian. I do not think God is any of these – Hindu, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim. God if there is one free and alert.

pre-dawn
03-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Here's a good explanation of the Gayatri Mantra
http://wahiduddin.net/mantra/gayatri.htm (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwah iduddin.net%252Fmantra%252Fgayatri.htm)

We meditate on the glory of the Creator;
Who has created the Universe;
Who is worthy of Worship;
Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light;
Who is the remover of all Sin and Ignorance;
May He enlighten our Intellect.

Reading this verse on the linked page I think that this could have come straight out of the Bible or might have been written by a Christian monk or nun.

Kismet
08-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Reading this verse on the linked page I think that this could have come straight out of the Bible or might have been written by a Christian monk or nun.

Most educated Christians would mark it off as primarily gnostic in origin. The Bible talks less about intellectual "knowledge" of God and more about bowing to the Sovereign Lord of Creation in humility and brokenness.

lordsiva
19-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Aum Bhur Bhuva Swaha,
Tat Savitur Varenyam,
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi,
Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat.

MEANING:
"O, Supreme Lord, The Source Of Existence, Intelligence And Bliss, The Creator Of the Universe. May We Prove Worthy Of Thy Choice And Acceptance; May We Meet Thy Glorious Grace. We Meditate On Thy Transcendental Light. Please Illuminate Our Intellect And Lead Us Unto Righteousness".

samsara4
20-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Aum Bhur Bhuva Swaha,
Tat Savitur Varenyam,
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi,

MEANING:
"O, Supreme Lord, The Source Of Existence, Intelligence And Bliss, The Creator Of the Universe. May We Prove Worthy Of Thy Choice And Acceptance; May We Meet Thy Glorious Grace. We Meditate On Thy Transcendental Light. Please Illuminate Our Intellect And Lead Us Unto Righteousness".

Earth sky heaven THAT
Of the awesome divinity
Effulgence of the Divine
We meditate on this truth
Which inspires our meditation.

The Gayatri Mantra is an awesome reminder of the true nature of the Totality.

Morpheus
22-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Aum Bhur Bhuva Swaha,
Tat Savitur Varenyam,
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi,

MEANING:

It is a worthy prayer.

Regarding the usage of the term "Beloved", which I've noted in the book, "Autobiography of a Yogi", from the Hindu faith, there is the Christian song also using the same.

"I am my Beloved's and my beloved is mine, and His banner over me is love."

So, we see how there are the alignments, and agreements.

I noted one member posting here, advertising the site, Alent.org.

While, it wouldn't replace the Faith to which I am subscribed, what with it's history and such, nevertheless, it offers very appropriate and inspirational sentiment, and thought.