PDA

View Full Version : Good Fairy Tale

gregporter79
04-03-2011, 06:13 AM
I think that the bible is historically incorrect and changed to mans liking throughout the years. for example the 7 deadly sins was not originally in the bible but somewhere along the line a catholic scholar decided to add that piece of information

RabbiO
04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I think that the bible is historically incorrect and changed to mans liking throughout the years. for example the 7 deadly sins was not originally in the bible but somewhere along the line a catholic scholar decided to add that piece of information

There is no list of 7 deadly sins in the Bible.

B'shalom,

Peter

Royalite
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Echo RabbiO. St. Augustine I believe for the 7 deadly sins? Nope, not in the Bible. Paul mentioned some stuff, and a "Doctor of the church" decided to compile it for the benefit of the congregations.

Also, those lovely ten commandments we get, though found in the Bible are actually somewhat altered when given a list by the church. Augustine then too? Something to do with improving it or making it easier to read. They took out the part where they aren't suppose to bow down to idols made in heaven or on Earth considering no one has ever seen God.

Uhhh....you might wanna take a lot of this stuff up with the Catholic Church. That's a whole 'nother ball game. You won't win though. They have an answer for everything from why they obey the Pope to why certain saints are suppose to be prayed to....

Blaze
04-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Does't matter if Bible is altered or not once you dont look at Bible as the 'center of the world'.

Kaere
04-03-2011, 03:28 PM
I believe the 7 deadly sins was a part of Dante's book The Inferno? Nothing to do with the bible.

Royalite
04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
^
Oh yeah! They also get St. Peter at the pearly gates from Dante's Paradise.

Interesting how that book was banned for a point though the references are often used...

In book of proverbs they have (founded in Wikipedia)

"six things the Lord hateth, and the seventh His soul detesteth"

A proud look.
A lying tongue.
Hands that shed innocent blood.
A heart that devises wicked plots.
Feet that are swift to run into mischief.
A deceitful witness that uttereth lies.
Him that soweth discord among brethren

theophilus
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
^
Oh yeah! They also get St. Peter at the pearly gates from Dante's Paradise.The idea of St. Peter at the gates is based on a misinterpretion of what Jesus said to Peter in Matthew 16:19, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Dante probably spoke of the seven deadly sins but he didn't originate the concept. He was simply reflecting the beliefs that the church already held.

Royalite
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
The idea of St. Peter at the gates is based on a misinterpretion of what Jesus said to Peter in Matthew 16:19, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Dante probably spoke of the seven deadly sins but he didn't originate the concept. He was simply reflecting the beliefs that the church already held.

Wow! That's interesting. Thanks for shedding light. I don't know how they got that from that passage....:confused:

LadyVirgoxoxo
23-03-2011, 02:29 AM
If that Wikipedia bit is from the Bible then that seems just wrong. God isn't supposed to hate.

LadyVirgoxoxo
23-03-2011, 02:29 AM
If that Wikipedia bit is from the Bible then that seems just wrong. God isn't supposed to hate, right?

Shim
23-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Proverbs 6:12-19 (King James Version)

A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth.

He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers;

Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord.

Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy.

These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Those are all traits of a worthless person, another way to refer to evil people also known as fools. They are the seven abominations of God's soul. Gotta love the parallelism.

LadyVirgoxoxo
23-03-2011, 02:57 AM
But in Christianity isn't everyone of some worth?

Shim
23-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Everyone has potential. If that is what you are referring to. Look at all the people who God chose in the Bible that weren't good men. David, Solomon, Saul ect.. Some of them anyhow. It goes to show that God can bring about goodness from an evil situation, so why not a person? For that reason I try not to condemn people by any other means than separating myself from an unbeliever. A person may be evil in their ways today, but who can guarantee that God will not reveal Himself by way of the Holy Spirit of their wrongdoing in the future? And if a person is to condemn them, who is to say that God is not working through this person? The irony sometimes creates an awe in me for God!

LadyVirgoxoxo
23-03-2011, 03:20 AM
I believe that everyone deserves forgiveness, that's why I don't believe in the death penalty. However, you did make a good point :smile:

Shim
23-03-2011, 03:32 AM
I believe that everyone deserves forgiveness, that's why I don't believe in the death penalty. However, you did make a good point :smile:

I support capital punishment, there is no way to preserve the integrity of life more than to value life for a life.

7he4uthor
23-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregporter79
for example the 7 deadly sins was not originally in
the bible but somewhere along the line a catholic scholar
decided to add that piece of information

There is no list of 7 deadly sins in the Bible.

1 feel this needs 2b addressed.

rabbio is correct.
gregporter79 has accused the vatican and/or scholars falsely.

i feel some kind of appology is required
a false accusation and a false teaching to 4um members shouldnt be let go lightly

7he7ruth deserves more value than that.

theophilus
24-03-2011, 03:44 PM
But in Christianity isn't everyone of some worth?The Bible teaches that we have all rebelled against God by violating his laws. The first three chapters of Romans go into detail about the different ways we have done this. In our natural state we not only have no worth but we deserve punishment. If you doubt this perhaps you should take this test:

http://needgod.com/004.shtml (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fneedgod.com%2F004.shtm l)

But God loves us in spite of our sins and has made a way for us to be forgiven. The only worth anyone possesses is that which God gives to him after his sins have been forgiven.

I believe that everyone deserves forgivenessIf we deserved to be forgiven we wouldn't need to be forgiven.