Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 03-11-2020, 01:52 AM
janielee

Meditation? (Molearner post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
This verse makes me think.....

2 Corinthians 5:12-13:

“We....are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you.”

Is being ‘out of our mind’ a description of meditation ? And that which gives access to God ? Is what is seen the physical and material world as opposed to what the heart contains ? The right mind is how we communicate with each other ? Just wondering.......

YES.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:53 AM
janielee

That is truly extraordinary, Molearner, thanks...
Old 03-11-2020, 02:06 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
That is truly extraordinary, Molearner, thanks...

Thank you.....I thought that second quote from Meister Eckhart that Miss Hepburn shared on the Stiiness thread dovetailed nicely with the scripture.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:40 AM
janielee

“I tell you the truth, any object you have in your mind, however good, will be a barrier between you and the inmost Truth.”

― Meister Eckhart

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...d.php?t=137655
Old 03-11-2020, 02:40 AM
janielee

Quote:
Thank you.....I thought that second quote from Meister Eckhart that Miss Hepburn shared on the Stiiness thread dovetailed nicely with the scripture.

Always found him a Man of God
Old 03-11-2020, 03:12 PM
Master

One more thing.....when I read ‘right mind’ I am tempted to contemplate ‘right brain’....:)
Old 03-11-2020, 04:14 PM
janielee

Yes that makes sense, Molearner, although I guess with an interfaith tradition background, I'm also very comfortable with the mind word in this context
Old 03-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee

YES.

I personally don't think it's just about Meditation Mo. I'm wondering if the ' Out Of Our Mind ' refers to the Spiritual Mind and the ' Right Mind ' like you mentioned used to converse with others is Our Wordly Mind....
Just a thought that needs more thinking, or maybe less...
Old 03-11-2020, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Thank you.....I thought that second quote from Meister Eckhart that Miss Hepburn
shared on the Stiiness thread dovetailed nicely with the scripture.
Ah, this one :) Meister means master - like, as in a teacher /professor.

I tell you the truth, any object you have in your mind, however good,
will be a barrier between you and the inmost Truth.

― Meister Eckhart

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 04-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Deactivated Account

Is being ‘out of our mind’ a description of meditation ?

Depends what one means in words and actions when they "meditate." The Christian terms or phrases there that apply would be things like surrendering the ego will to god's will, walking with god etc. Christianity is not idealistically about ego or self centered activities. So an idea about seeking one's own spiritual development within Christianity is holistic. It has to include the whole of humanity at the same time. It is not "self seeking." As far as Christian monasticism, the words they use are prayer and contemplation, really now days the phrase "meditate on" is the same as "contemplate." To give one's life and will over to the supreme source of love, to surrender to the Father, to let go.... this is Christian Meditation. It's always been about higher awareness, getting out of one's head in a sense, and what replaces the ego's mind stream, is an experience of the source or god or father, though the holy spirit in Christian terms.

Any "thing" can be egotistic or selfless. So what meditation "is" depends on the person or ego doing it, pursuing it as an activity and belief. It comes down to intent and of course interpretation and understanding. Why is one doing this or that. For self centered selfish reasons or to become closer to the attributes of the source or god, the father, divine mother, love, kindness, empathy for others, no thoughts or concern about self, living for others, for the collectives for the whole.

It's like how a poor starving mother can steal some food to feed her children. The intent there is love. There is no sin in that. But then some greedy rich person can steal food to add to their pile of money. That would be sinful, selfish. Meditation can be selfish or as a way we become more selfless.