Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Guide

Pet birds?

Does anyone have any pet birds? I am (not seriously yet) interested in getting some little birds. Nothing too crazy, just some cute little finch birds probably. However, I have never owned a bird and have no idea what it is like to have some.

I already have two cats so I don't know if this would be a bad idea. Also do birds smell at all? Are they expensive to take care of and how much work do they require?

Anyone have any info??
Old 07-11-2018, 07:37 AM
Master
Sorry.. but this sounds like a bad idea considering you have cats. The cats are likely grown up so they're not growing up with a bird. Putting a bird in a cage most of the time isn't great. They need freedom. Think about it.. they're already limited in their freedom, and on top of that you have cats around. Is this compassionate? I'm not sure about it. Imagine what will happen in your home with a bird flying and your cats chasing the bird around. Finches are a no go, only a large bird would be able to defend him/her self, maybe. A large bird with a powerful beak can also injure your cat. But have you thought about all the stress that the bird will endure..?! Not to mention you have two cats.

Please put yourself in the bird's perspective..
Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Master
How do you feel about animals in cages?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Knower
I loves birds, but I don’t feel right about caging them. I have a bird feeder on my patio so I can watch them when they visit.

When I have more space/backyard, I want to get a screech owl habitat so they can nest. I love owls.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 AM
Guide

True, it was a quickly formed idea without much actual thought put into it. I always wanted a bird but yes cages are not kind.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:36 AM
Master
I used to have zebra finches but didn't keep them for very long because our cat loved them more. We returned the finches to the pet store.They were fun to have, did smell if the cage wasn't cleaned and the bird feed at the time was cheap.

I now have peafowl but they live in their own house and are too big for the cats. Dogs and coyotes are another issue.

If you don't like having caged pets and can't take them out for some free time, then don't get them. Try an aquarium but be sure it's big enough for the number of fish you want and that cats can't knock over. Keeping fish is expensive due to how often you have to change the filters and water. The start up can be expensive too but better if on sale.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12: 7 and 8 (KJV)
Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Suspended
I think it's better to learn to appreciate the beauty of birds flying free in nature, rather than keep them confined as pets for their lifetimes. If you go looking for them in their natural habitats they will dazzle you with their spectacular displays.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro
I think it's better to learn to appreciate the beauty of birds flying free in nature, rather than keep them confined as pets for their lifetimes. If you go looking for them in their natural habitats they will dazzle you with their spectacular displays.

I agree 100pct. I am so very mesmerized by them in flight. I could sit and watch them for ever. Which reminds me...I need to add bird seed to my bird feeder..

Old 14-11-2018, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator
Clio86,
I have a bird friend but I would never call him a "pet". Yet he comes to visit and "chat" with me every day, and it's of his own free will. He has done for two years. He obviously likes my company. We have a nice relationship.
I have seen him swoop in from quite a distance across my back field as soon as he catches sight of me in the kitchen window in the morning (as I'm drawing water for my coffee)
It is so lovely to be greeted by a wild bird in that happy way.
He's a Crow. He chose me...I didn't choose him. I don't even know why he chose to be my friend.
I think these things can happen. Usually humans are too pre-occupied to notice. But start noticing, and you never know which bird will take a liking to you!
Robins are also extremely friendly, and will come to their name, or if you whistle them, when they get to know you.
Of course, a small healthy treat is always welcome! Crows will eat all sorts. Robins particularly like meal-worms.
Old 17-11-2018, 01:53 AM
Guide

Thanks Tobi. I really like birds and honestly would love to have some as pets. Obviously that isn't ideal for the animals themselves. I have been interested in taking up bird-watching for the past three years but have not been very successful in finding anyone who shares that interest.

I had a bird fly up to me a few weeks ago. It sat eye level to me, about half a foot away, just staring at me for 20 seconds then flew away. I have also had a few random birds (mostly young mourning doves) take shelter in my backyard a couple times but they were skittish. Both were fledglings and one I was able to pick up.

I have given up on the idea of having birds as pets. Hopefully one day I can make a stronger connection to some wild birds in my own backyard. I should probably buy some bird feed then. :)