Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 24-05-2020, 12:55 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple
i remember tales of grandads walking 20 miles to work and back every day - must have been from around the start of the 1900s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILXxXfFAb2M

German documentary about peat collection. IIRC they are talking 3 hours to get from home to where they work the peat, and the 3 hours back in the evening.
Old 24-05-2020, 12:59 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean
I have a fitbit and have joined a couple of daily walking challenges and also a workweek hustle challenge. I have a desk job, so I was hardly getting any exercise during the week. Now that I have a fitbit and have accountability, I've been working my way up to almost 3 miles a day. I'm currently at 2 - 2 1/2 miles. It has worked wonders on getting myself back into some type of shape - and I'm supposed to keep a little more active now that I've been diagnosed with borderline Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Try power walking. You need 2 walking sticks, similar to ski sticks. They are available in sports stores. This will make you work your arms and shoulders which are often one of the biggest problems. The walking will also be more energetic.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILXxXfFAb2M

German documentary about peat collection. IIRC they are talking 3 hours to get from home to where they work the peat, and the 3 hours back in the evening.

yes granddads walking with wheelbarrows .. who needs power walking when you've got granddads? ... i laughed and listened again at 17.39 where we hear a typical yorkshire "hey up" ... and wondered by what stroke of fate you could understand german? a rare (and largely useless) talent among our landsmen ... perhaps another ex-pat watching the last fling of the empire with sadness from distant shores ...
Old 02-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Master

Quote:
i remember tales of grandads walking 20 miles to work and back every day - must have been from around the start of the 1900s

Although possible, I doubt that "20 miles / every day".

A brisk walk is 3 to 4.5 miles per hour, which is 5-6 hours everyday. It is more likely to have been every week.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Although possible, I doubt that "20 miles / every day".

A brisk walk is 3 to 4.5 miles per hour, which is 5-6 hours everyday. It is more likely to have been every week.

humm, yes and it was anecdotal and grandads often exaggerate ... we fanatsise about the good old days - like i'm sure i could do 5 miles in an hour when i was young and fit ... (?) ... wonder how many miles big john does in 7 hours?
Old 05-06-2020, 08:52 PM
Master

Quote:
humm, yes and it was anecdotal and grandads often exaggerate ... we fanatsise about the good old days - like i'm sure i could do 5 miles in an hour when i was young and fit ... (?) ... wonder how many miles big john does in 7 hours?
As you said ... anecdotal.

I walk most days. My brisk walk is about 2 miles / 30 minutes.

I don't believe I can walk that brisk for 5 or 7 hours. Even less to do that everyday. And it seems impossible to also do my regular job for another 8 or 10 hours.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:59 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
As you said ... anecdotal.

I walk most days. My brisk walk is about 2 miles / 30 minutes.

I don't believe I can walk that brisk for 5 or 7 hours. Even less to do that everyday. And it seems impossible to also do my regular job for another 8 or 10 hours.

yeah sure, ... anecdotal and exaggerated, even if i used to walk a mile in 12 mins - i couldn't keep it up for 5 miles ... (i have long legs, 80yds. running record breaking when 10 yr.old)

my original comment should probably have been connected with the idea of how life on planet earth has changed since the beginning of the 1900s
Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 PM
Master

Quote:
yeah sure, ... anecdotal and exaggerated, even if i used to walk a mile in 12 mins - i couldn't keep it up for 5 miles ... (i have long legs, 80yds. running record breaking when 10 yr.old)

my original comment should probably have been connected with the idea of how life on planet earth has changed since the beginning of the 1900s

This brings to mind a recent discussion in which somebody was saying that human intellect (IQ) developed a lot over the last couple of years, while I claim that human intellect is about the same as it was 2,000 years ago, and longer.

Which doesn't contradict your statement about how life changed.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:44 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
This brings to mind a recent discussion in which somebody was saying that human intellect (IQ) developed a lot over the last couple of years, while I claim that human intellect is about the same as it was 2,000 years ago, and longer.

Which doesn't contradict your statement about how life changed.

I doubt if human IQ has changed much - but how we think - since computers and search engines for memories - i feel sure it will cause big changes.

Then i reckon since writing and wheels developed, new ways of thinking developed, (and imagine how the wheel influenced attitudes to walking) which would fit with your 2,000 years ago - and i reckon cultivation 12,000 ago was another big development in how people put thoughts together.

We used to learn maths with times tables - it built a basic logic ... did i hear since the 90s kids take adding machines to exams? so much is changing these days - i notice how everyone is looking at smaller and smaller picture screens ... how the selfie dominates self image etc. .. how will human thought develop when this generation grows up ...?

this is rather a big side track from 'walking'- i don't know protocol or just common sense with this forum but wonder if we want to talk about this, if we should start a new thread?
Old 09-06-2020, 07:30 PM
Master

Quote:
I doubt if human IQ has changed much - but how we think - since computers and search engines for memories - i feel sure it will cause big changes.

Then i reckon since writing and wheels developed, new ways of thinking developed, (and imagine how the wheel influenced attitudes to walking) which would fit with your 2,000 years ago - and i reckon cultivation 12,000 ago was another big development in how people put thoughts together.

We used to learn maths with times tables - it built a basic logic ... did i hear since the 90s kids take adding machines to exams? so much is changing these days - i notice how everyone is looking at smaller and smaller picture screens ... how the selfie dominates self image etc. .. how will human thought develop when this generation grows up ...?

this is rather a big side track from 'walking'- i don't know protocol or just common sense with this forum but wonder if we want to talk about this, if we should start a new thread?
Not sure what you were arguing toward, but reading your post made me wonder if actually all this technological progress is actually detrimental to the individual's intellectual and intuitive progress. It should free our minds to explore further and deeper, but if that's happening it isn't obvious to me.

I believe that we are here, now, to evolve (somehow). This evolvement happens anyway, and in an eternal and infinite universe there's plenty of time and room. But not knowing what the curriculum is, and getting engrossed in this trance we call life on Earth, are quite counterproductive. And that's a pity.