Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Energy Work

Old 27-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Master

Thanks vicky, that IS helpful.
Old 27-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Reality is quintessential.

It's important to remember that the idea behind the Four Elements was to explain what the underlying substance (or substances) is/are behind all things in reality. Empedocles established that there are four roots that underly all of reality. This was later embraced by more influential Greek philosophers - most notably Aristotle - and became the canon of natural philosophy up until the advent of modern science. It was understood that nothing in this world is made up of just one element, but that all things in reality have all four of the Elements within them. The ratio of each could vary and was part of how the nature of a thing was determined. Humans in particular were understood to be balanced among the Four. When they were not, they were said to be mentally or physically ill.

In part because of this, I regard questions like "what Element are you?" to be more like a quaint child's game, no offense intended. I think we can validly ask "what Element do you like the most or do you feel resonates with you the most?" but the previous question is more dicey. If it is a valid question to ask, most people who go about determining their so-called Element don't do so from a position of strong knowledge about the Four. If you have a strong knowledge of the Four, you don't tend to ask the question. You either recognize it as a non-question or you already know what "your" Element is based on experience/knowledge.
This! Well said Quintessence.

As for the OP: elements, in the Classical sense, were used to explain the substance of the Cosmos and were symbolic of qualities of objects and phenomenon. In astrology the four elements are used since it was developed under the auspices of Graeco-Roman astrologers, so it was natural to use a popular model of the constitution of the Cosmos in their culture.

Chinese philosophers had 5 elements, wood, fire, earth, metal and water.

And the Briton poet Taliesin spoke of nine elements:

"I was made from the ninefold elements -
From fruit trees,
From paradisiacal fruit,
From primroses and hill flowers
From the blossoms of trees and bushes,
From the roots of the earth was I made,
From the broom and the nettle,
From the water of the ninth wave.
Math enchanted me before I was made immortal,
Gwydion created me with his magic wand.
From Emrys and Euryon,
From Mabon and Modron,
From five fifties of magicians like Math was I made -
Made by the master in his highest ecstasy -
By the wisest druids was I made before the world began,
And I know the star-knowledge from the beginning of Time."

[Taliesin, Chief Bard of the Britons (circa 600 CE)
as found in the Cad Goddeu
and translated by Caitlin Matthews]

Elements are cultural phenomenon used to describe symbolic qualities. But they can still be useful for meditation, since our minds eat up symbolism like no one's business. Just don't mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself, so to speak.
Old 27-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Master

And even so, Animus.... there IS a tangible difference between the various energies, for eyes that can see energy. That's not symbolism.
Old 27-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
And even so, Animus.... there IS a tangible difference between the various energies, for eyes that can see energy. That's not symbolism.
Yes, but the "element" one uses and the language of it are cultural constructions.

Some peoples make a particular distinction between lakes, rivers, and oceans. And other cultures can have a very different interpretation of how they are interpreted.

Many northern peoples thought of the sea as violent and cold, but also fertile and the realm of certain dead. While the Egyptians thought of the ocean as impure and barren.

The differences you use are simple preference, and not something inherent in the element or force themselves (most of the time at least lol)
Old 27-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Master

And yet, calling water wet and fire hot will be fairly universally agreed on (at least on earth). When everyone I send fire energy calls it pleasant regardless of where in the world they are, I believe them. They have other reactions to other energies. My quest is to find out what fire energy is well suited for.... and why would be nice too.
Old 27-01-2012, 04:57 PM
SaraSeeker

Libra ~ Air Element, I would also say I would feel Earth would be closer to what I am. I also love being outdoors, digging in the dirt planting flower's working in the yard, camping being in the forest. I love love love Trees and Rocks, I am always picking up pieces of driftwood to put in my flower bed and rocks, I have a wooden bowl full on the bookshelf.

peace out in unity and respect
Old 27-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Master

Yeah. I am similar Sara.... and yet, fire seems to be what I use best. What energy do you have best experience with using?
Old 27-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
And yet, calling water wet and fire hot will be fairly universally agreed on (at least on earth). When everyone I send fire energy calls it pleasant regardless of where in the world they are, I believe them. They have other reactions to other energies. My quest is to find out what fire energy is well suited for.... and why would be nice too.
So, when you're alive, your element is fire (body heat) and when you're dead it's water (cold).

And if you're a politician your element is fire and air (hot air).
Old 27-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
And if you're a politician your element is fire and air (hot air).

bwahahaha
Old 27-01-2012, 06:34 PM
SaraSeeker

Whitewarrior,

I am not well versed in what each element represents, other than what I feel they do (logical libra I guess lol). Where mine is Air by name I feel more like Earth energy, natural content with what is given and making the most of it, nurturing and growing, seems to be my calling to be there for and help others expecially as a foster parent (although when I comes to helpin myself I stumble lol).

You are asking about Fire Energy, I immediately feel that having and using Fire Energy would be best suited to use to direct Healing towards others, physically, spiritually and otherwise. I guess it's the thought of the "heat/intense warmth" you would be able to exude through spirit to another where the one on the receiving end would indeed feel an Intense Comforting Warmth"

Again my opinion is based on a feeling only as I have not read in depth the meaning of the elements.

peace out in unity and respect