Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 13-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Chikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Chicari, the path I follow is the Cunning Path which, as far as can be checked, is pre-christian by a long way - probably originating with tribal wise men/women. It can be considered to be British Traditional Witchcraft but with shamanic rituals added.

About this "must be in a coven" thing and talk of "lineage" etc. If you examine wicca, you will find that is based on British Traditional Witchcraft but is sort-of low calorie. This is how Gardner "built" it. He wanted to popularise the belief without using the "W" word. So, he grafted on a religion made-up from old Nature/Fertility cults. He grafted on various mystique factors, such as covens and initiatory forms. He did a pik-n-mix around most of the esoteric movements in the building. None of the add-ons exist in B.T.W. which is NOT a religion, although many "witches" do have a Nature-based belief. So, wicca dates from the 1950's. B.T.W. does not have covens or degrees of initiation. It is mostly solitary and self-declared and the most important factor is EXPERIENCE ! Wicca in America [60/70's] gained a poor reputation through dictatorial HP/HPS's and accusation of physical/sexual abuse in covens.

Hope this helps but, bear in mind that British and American wicca are like "chalk and cheese".

Thanks for the info. :)
What are the big differences between American and British wicca?
Old 13-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Master
Basic difference is that British Wicca is very close to Traditional Witchcraft plus, of course, we are, essentially, a pagan country whereas American was founded as a christian country. This is an important difference which impacts on our culture in many ways.
Example : I live in city founded in The Bronze Age as a hill fort, almost 3000 years-old. We hold our celebrations in a 5500 year-old henge. That kind of thing affects attitude and how we see the world.

Another major difference is this coven and lineage issue. American Wicca splintered into many different forms in an attempt to "improve" the original. Covens are extremely rare here and lineage is not taken seriously in a movement which is only about 70 years old.

Really though, none of this is important. The important issue is how you think of it. You know that Jenny and LadyT and I think differently about this subject and this individuality is a strength - we have individual paths. It's my view that the American wicca in general is too much like the catholic church - formal and organised whereas Brit wicca is disorganised and a bit chaotic. Another thing, not many Brit Wiccans call themselves "Wiccan", they generally call themselves Witches.
So, Chikari, it's not a single major difference but many small differences. Many American covens claim to be British Traditional Wicca but what the really are is American Wicca - similar but not the same.
Old 13-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Chikari

Quote:
Basic difference is that British Wicca is very close to Traditional Witchcraft plus, of course, we are, essentially, a pagan country whereas American was founded as a christian country. This is an important difference which impacts on our culture in many ways.
Example : I live in city founded in The Bronze Age as a hill fort, almost 3000 years-old. We hold our celebrations in a 5500 year-old henge. That kind of thing affects attitude and how we see the world.

Another major difference is this coven and lineage issue. American Wicca splintered into many different forms in an attempt to "improve" the original. Covens are extremely rare here and lineage is not taken seriously in a movement which is only about 70 years old.

Really though, none of this is important. The important issue is how you think of it. You know that Jenny and LadyT and I think differently about this subject and this individuality is a strength - we have individual paths. It's my view that the American wicca in general is too much like the catholic church - formal and organised whereas Brit wicca is disorganised and a bit chaotic. Another thing, not many Brit Wiccans call themselves "Wiccan", they generally call themselves Witches.
So, Chikari, it's not a single major difference but many small differences. Many American covens claim to be British Traditional Wicca but what the really are is American Wicca - similar but not the same.

Thank you for taking your time to explain! :) I'm def trying to learn as much as I can so that I can find my path. I think one of my biggest struggles is that I grew up Christian so I'm used to others telling me how to practice and honor my beliefs so the innate freedom in Wicca is an adjustment. Its one of the reason's I'm drawn to it. I'm just fighting a lot of years of conditioning.
Old 13-06-2014, 11:45 PM
LadyTerra

Quote:

Greetings Chikari and welcome to SF!

I have to agree with Norseman. Many Wiccan Covens that I have encountered over the years do not recognize the Hereditary Magical Lineage.

I was once asked to leave a Wiccan Website--because I mentioned on one of their Message Boards that I come from a long line of Magical Practioners.

What Norseman, Jenny, and I do is walk a path in-tune w/ MotherNature and (like Norseman said above) MotherNature can be (at once) nurturing & chaotic...a mixture of Light & Shadow.

I was born a Splay Configuration--Astrologically speaking--this means that I am fiercely independent and determined to find my own way. I have always been Guided by intuition and Spirit and (IMHO) one does not require the permission of another human being to become who they were born to be.

I will be here...if you have any questions and please feel free to PM me--if you would ever prefer to speak in private.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...

Ever your friend,

LadyTerra
Old 14-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra

I have always been Guided by intuition and Spirit and (IMHO) one does not require the permission of another human being to become who they were born to be. :

Blessed be...
Ever your friend,
LadyTerra

How very true - - well said LadyTerra
Old 14-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikari
Thank you for taking your time to explain! :) I'm def trying to learn as much as I can so that I can find my path. I think one of my biggest struggles is that I grew up Christian so I'm used to others telling me how to practice and honor my beliefs so the innate freedom in Wicca is an adjustment. Its one of the reason's I'm drawn to it. I'm just fighting a lot of years of conditioning.

Chikari, you will eventually learn to trust yourself and your intuition, even if you find yourself travelling upstream when everyone else is going downstream - listen your heart
Old 14-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Chikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra

What Norseman, Jenny, and I do is walk a path in-tune w/ MotherNature and (like Norseman said above) MotherNature can be (at once) nurturing & chaotic...a mixture of Light & Shadow.

I was born a Splay Configuration--Astrologically speaking--this means that I am fiercely independent and determined to find my own way. I have always been Guided by intuition and Spirit and (IMHO) one does not require the permission of another human being to become who they were born to be.

I will be here...if you have any questions and please feel free to PM me--if you would ever prefer to speak in private.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...

Ever your friend,

LadyTerra

Thank you! I totally understand the intuition and spirit thing. I have, for as long as I can remember, had really strong intuition and even empathic abilities. I've also always felt a closeness with nature. Just completely fascinated with how complex but amazing it all is.

And Jenny, thank you for the support.
Old 14-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Master
Chikari, come walk my Land with me

Old 14-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Chikari

Quote:
Chikari, come walk my Land with me

Those pictures are so pretty! I love nature :)
Old 14-06-2014, 11:00 AM
LadyTerra

Oh Norseman...I love the journeys you take us on and the Magical Power that emanates from The Mother.

Now...I would like to share w/ You and Jenny and Chikari...at 5:45 (this morning) as The Full Mead Moon was shining low in the Western Sky--The Dawn was breaking in the Eastern Sky...as I made my offering (in Thanks) and broke-fast.

The most Magical time (to my way of thinking) is when FatherSun rises to share the Sky w/ MotherMoon (for a time) and then bids Her well-wishes as She journeys on Her way.

Spirit & Magic are all around us (all the time) it is Natural (not Supernatural) and all we have to do (in order to become a part of it all) is embrace it!

The Summer Solstice approaches...can you feel the Energy Building?