Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 08-05-2021, 05:35 AM
Master
🌘EXODUS 6:3🌒

One of the most controversial scriptures found in the Bible is Exodus 6:3. In the King James Bible it reads:

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

It is the latter part of this scripture that is controversial. The name was known or ...... was it? Or was the writer trying to express some 'other' point?

Is there any explanations of why this sentence was written this way?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Last edited by BigJohn : 08-05-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
One of the most controversial scriptures found in the Bible is Exodus 6:3. In the King James Bible it reads:

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

It is the latter part of this scripture that is controversial. The name was known or ...... was it? Or was the writer trying to express some 'other' point?

Jehovah is a translation is it not?

Do you have an issue with, "God Almighty"?

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 08-05-2021, 01:10 PM
Master
Morpheus,
Did you read the question?

The part I find controversial is "but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them".

Over the years, I have looked at that scripture and could not make any 'sense out of it".

How can that scripture be true when God's name, Jehovah, had been used, numerous places in the Bible, before we get to the Exodus account?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:18 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
The part I find controversial is "but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them".
Over the years, I have looked at that scripture and could not make any 'sense out of it".
How can that scripture be true when God's name, Jehovah, had been used, numerous places in the Bible, before we get to the Exodus account?
Could it be that to consider the name only a name would be a mistake? All names have meanings. Perhaps the statement is that the people of Israel still didn't know (recognize) the essence or truth of his being.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 19-07-2021 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Shortened quote as Admin has asked to 2-3 sentences
Old 08-05-2021, 05:09 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:

I would guess somebody could figure that out by researching the date the various scrolls were written in, what languages they were written in, and who are thought to be the writers, and then research the various words and translations of those words that have led to what we have today. Seems like a lot of work though.

A lot of different people wrote the various books and even sentences in the bible as some sentences have changed over time and they all had different views and motivations and what not. Actually that writer is speaking as if he or she is god by writing in first person but some writer mentioning how different books in the bible called god by different names could be trying to say a lot of different things, like all knew the same god by different names, some didn't know the true god or had false gods, the writer could be pointing out different factions within early Christianity and putting a positive or negative spin on one group or another. With enough research one could probably figure out the motivations and intended purpose of the passage.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:14 PM
AbodhiSky

Exodus had been traditionally thought to have been written by Moses himself, but modern scholars see its initial composition as a product of the Babylonian exile (6th century BCE), based on earlier written and oral traditions, with final revisions or changes in the Persian post-exilic period (5th century BCE)

The consensus among scholars is that the story in the Book of Exodus is best understood as a myth, and does not accurately describe historical events.

Different translations sure make that passage different:

Exodus 6

Youngs Literal Translation
2 (pointedly to Moses) I am the Eternal. 3 I revealed Myself to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God-All-Powerful; but I did not reveal My name, the Eternal One, to them.

So there the point seems to be they knew "god" as power (or deeds/actions) (external) and "god" was in fact always existing or an eternal force. (within and without)
Old 08-05-2021, 05:48 PM
ImthatIm

Known = perceived or understood.
They knew of the name but did not fully understand or perceive it.

Here in this Chapter there is repetition of Lord/Jahova and repeated 5 times.

My studies indicate this is God declaring "Heavenly Grace" will be activated
and the Israelite's Will be Freed from Egypt/Bondage since He remembers His Covenant with Israel.

My short study was done from The Companion Bible.By E.W.Bullinger

P.S.: My opinion or thought is what was not understood or known may
be in the Covenant The Lord made, otherwise they would not be in bondage in the first place.
As hinted to in verse 5.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:43 PM
Master

Quote:

You can read a commentary following this link:

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/exodus/6-3.htm
The apparent meaning of the present passage cannot therefore be its true meaning. No writer would so contradict himself. Perhaps the true sense is, "I was known to them as a Being of might and power, not as mere absolute (and so eternal and immutable) existence."
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:35 PM
Master

Quote:

BigJohn,

It is interesting that you bring this to our attention. Personally I think that perhaps this was a prelude to addressing or thinking of God in a more personal way. Both Yahweh and Jehovah are cryptic in nature....expressing the thought or feeling that it was presumptuous to indicate familiarty with God by addressing him by name or presuming to know the name of God.

It must be noticed that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are often referred to in memory as all 3 at once. This elevation of the 3 names in the history of the Bible was perhaps a prelude to the acceptance of the idea of the trinity....Abraham reminding of the father....Isaac reminding of the Son and Isaac reminding of the Holy Spirit.

The time was coming when God could be discerned on a much more personal level as demonstrated by Jesus the Christ. It should be remembered that Jesus demonstrated this familiarty with God with speaking of him as the 'father'. And He urged us in the Lord's Prayer to address God as our father.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:28 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Jehovah is a translation is it not?
Actually it is not. It is a mistaken transliteration caused by a mistaken pronunciation of the tetragrammaton.

The Masoretes put the vowel points for Adonai into the word to remind readers to substitute Adonai in any reading of the tetragrammaton. Those vowel points read simply as vowels within the name give the mistaken pronunciation of Yehovah which transliterated becomes Jehovah.