Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 22-10-2023, 05:55 PM
Newbie ;)

Discussion about AI and consciousness, what are your thoughts?

Hello,

Sometimes I like to have discussions and talks with my friends about all kinds of things. One of the discussions we sometimes have is about the following question: "Can and will AI develop consciousness in the future?"

I don't believe that an AI or a robot will develop consciousness, but I do believe we will see robots in the future that are indistinguishable from humans. However, they will still be computer programs running code (or something similar), and no consciousness will be present.

But most of my friends believe that robots will develop consciousness like a human or an animal. To me, this sounds completely crazy, while they feel the same way about my view.

Most of my friends are atheists or agnostics. I think this has something to do with their viewpoint on this discussion. We have many healthy discussions, but this particular topic often gets heated in a unique way.

I think the reason is that it's so closely tied to our core beliefs. How do you guys look at this question? And what is the reason this question can evoke such strong emotions? Or is this just a personal thing of the group?
Old 22-10-2023, 07:03 PM
Knower

You must mean something like an 'éntity' having an 'I am' kind of consciousness ?

It is possible for me

I don't like the idea though.....
Old 23-10-2023, 04:04 PM
Master

Well maybe ask yourself this: is anyone willing to incarnate as a robot? Thats just my take.
Old 23-10-2023, 04:11 PM
Guide

If it ever gets to that point,AI will have manmade computer generated consciousness, whereas our consciosness is pure and natural.(My thoughts anyway).
Old 24-10-2023, 04:47 AM
Master
We humans call it “artificial” intelligence because it does not rise to the standard of human consciousness, having a “soul,” etc. If consciousness is everywhere then why not also in machines? Sometimes when we talk about A.I. it is like we may be talking about creating a new non-organic species.

The issue is not consciousness, the issue is having a vehicle which can express consciousness. That vehicle would have to enable self awareness and self replication. The term A.I. no where near describes the evolution which could occur with what we call A.I. today.

Creating a vehicle that can transform spiritual current into self aware consciousness which could independently express itself; could turn out to be like the Frankenstein monster, or it could also give us greater insights and save us time. A real world challenge for today’s youth.
Old 25-10-2023, 09:47 AM
Knower

I think with artificial intelligence whether in a robotic body or as it right now the spirit of man fades
Old 26-10-2023, 04:40 PM
Master

AI and consciousness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo
But most of my friends believe that robots will develop consciousness like a human or an animal. To me, this sounds completely crazy, while they feel the same way about my view.
but this particular topic often gets heated in a unique way.

I agree with your contention .Definitely AI is consciousness in the way it has some energy,logic and algorithms for specialized situations and purposes . But it does not and will not have consciousness in the sense it cant perceive/feel/ procreate/re-charge on its own / eat / smell / sense/hear/see/think/ponder . Definitely some special purpose robo may have capabilities exceeding man . But to have a unique human like consciousness is next to impossible.

Just for record , I am also a programmer and i too take pride in the capabilities of programmer . But its a matter of reality and being able to program reality in toto is simply beyond human intelligence. This is my take.