Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality > Faiths of Indigenous Peoples

Old 23-12-2021, 11:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I ran across a talk about the Rathlin samples today.
I found it funny since they found the samples behind a pub..LOL
How fitting, if they are the same samples.
Yeah, I had a good laff at that too

Irish Heritage Center in US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4_7qY0IEno

Old 24-12-2021, 12:38 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
So, I’d like to play this, as I hate the bloody racism, no matter to whom it is directed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gUNlvrg_U

I don't care for racism either. I've been singled out for darker or lighter skinnededness by all races
and not fitting into any one category but the one I call mut that stems from a long line of unwanted children or being the offspring of unfortunate souls.
Since I have a lot of adoption in my family tree.
I don't mean to talk as if I am putting down myself.
I assure you I am not.
I just state the facts as I see/know them.

My preference is to pray with or be at Peace with every two legged but if people want to get uptight and weird, Oh well.

I do look back on this one incident of blatant racism that sticks out in my memories as a good time.
There was five people crossing the U.S. Canadian border on a bus entering the U.S. and I was one.
There where 2 Asian college kids and 2 White Scandinavian looking college kids.
The Boarder patrol entered the bus pointed to the Asian kids and said come with me.
Looked in my direction and paused and said you too.The other 2 did not have to depart the bus.

When we entered the building I heard a voice call out "Hey, a Root and a Rock".
I waved and laughed since it was the other Boarder guard that searched me when I went into Canada.
My only real possessions besides a change of clothes was my Bitter Root that I used for smudge and a little roundish red Rock, rolled up in a old foil Tobacco pouch.
The racism I was under melted away once I heard "A Root and A Rock" and when I think back I forget all about the racism and smile.
Old 24-12-2021, 12:51 AM
Master
Quote:
"A Root and A Rock"
"A Root and A Rock" was in reference to Amerinds?

Old 24-12-2021, 01:32 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
"A Root and A Rock" was in reference to Amerinds?

A Root and a Rock was the only possessions I had other than a change of clothes and I.D., so that made an impression on the guy I guess.
But yeah the root and a rock was of a Amerind practice of sorts.
The root I would burn one end for a smudge and nibble on the other end as a medicine, Native style.
The roundish red Rock I just liked, and it liked me too I guess.It traveled with me for some time.
You might could say it was my medicine bag.

The border guard was happy to see me and waving when he said "Hey a Root and a Rock".
He had remembered me by my Root and my Rock from a week before.

I'm not sure if any of that helped answer your question.
Old 24-12-2021, 01:54 AM
Master
^ Well, it sounds like they took you for an ‘Amerind’ and not as “Asian”.

As a part Saami, I absolutely LOVE these long-lost relatives, the Berbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3aJVPt4WA0
@ 1:41 to 2:42

And being a part/or sort of near half Saami, I totally own this guy Sofiane Pamart in my mind as a relative – like OMG he is so special, so genuine.

He wants to come to Australia, but if he does not understand or connect with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW7xVNdRtm4

… then to me he will lose all credibility as “indigenous‘‘ since ALL “indegious” WILL recognize “indigenous” deep down.

“Indigeousness” is not about the “form practices” as such, but “whites” are easily fooled as they think it is all about the “form’.
Some so called “Amerinds” only know ‘Amerind’ conceptually, (and not within) I have since found out.

Last edited by sentient : 24-12-2021 at 03:58 AM.
Old 24-12-2021, 05:42 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
^ Well, it sounds like they took you for an ‘Amerind’ and not as “Asian”.

Oh yeah, I see.
I can't say exactly what went on in the Border guards mind and intentions.

When I had my Root and my Rock searched the first time I was driving my friends van into Canada with him and his uncle and He is Anishinaabe/Ojibwa
and NW Coast Native/ Coast Salish and his uncle NW Coast Native/Coast Salish.
I drove since I can pass for white at times.The Guard pulled me in anyway since I did not have any money and they seemed interested in if I was going to try
and work in Canada.Any way the first guard sent me to the inside guard to search me and ask questions.So I told him that we where on our way
to Winnipeg to do a ceremony for someone sick there.
So when my Rock got interrogated my Rock must have told him what he wanted to hear because he just seen it was a Rock and set it aside.
Now the Root wasn't talking, so he asked me whats this? I told him it's my Root.
He ask me why is it burnt? I said I burn it and wave the smoke around me for good luck.
He asked me if I get high on it. I laughed and said no.
He asked me why I did not have any money.I told him my friend asked me to come and help and all expenses are on him.
So we went to Winnipeg.

So then in Winnipeg something was taking longer to happen to set up the ceremony I don't remember what, I think we were waiting on people from out of town
and it was already a week or so.
So I called home and the wife missed me so so much and she wired money for a bus ticket and I asked my friend to take me downtown
to the Western Union and then I walked to the Greyhound bus station.
I departed for my 1000 mile trip and went to the border where I encountered the
other guard (U.S.) that walked me and the two Asian kids in off the bus.
I figured he thought I was Mexican tryin to come in the back door.
Maybe I just didn't look right to him.
I smelt alright, so it wasn't that.
I don't really know but there was only 5 of us on the bus.The non racist thing to do would have been to just haul us all in and search and interrogate us.
Anyway as soon as we walked in the building the Canadian guard said "Hey a Root and a Rock" and it was loud and real friendly so I waved and smiled.
That Canadian guard was all the way on the other side of the building.
The U.S. guard didn't like that much by the way he gazed at me. My Root and my Rock both felt the tension from U.S. guard and they weren't
speaking to the U.S. guard and he just seen I was headed home and didn't even visit with my Root and Rock he just peeked in the crumpled up foil tobacco pouch and closed it up and I left.
But like I said I felt good because that Canadian guard was so welcoming even though I was leaving his country.
He recognized me but he remembered my Root and my Rock.My Rock must have impressed him in a certain way, that's what I figure.
Now in the middle of Montana on that bus ride the guy behind me got thrown out in a snow drift far from a town by the bus driver.
He snuck him a bottle of whiskey on the bus and then got belligerent with someone and broke his bottle and threatened to stab someone with it. Awe good times.
I have more Roots but I sure miss my Rock, Oh sure I have more Rocks too but not traveling Rock.I'll meet another one day but it won't be the same.

Yeah there is no reason anyone would think I was Asian, since I don't come from people with the slant eyes. My Grandfather didn't have them nor my father.
I am told I'm about equal parts Native to Asian anyway according to the family stories and some Irish and then who knows what form of Europian. so that may just wash away the slant, I don't know.(I'm no ethnoautobiographer)
Dang, I gotta not write so much, I might get booted from the site.
Old 24-12-2021, 05:47 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:

… then to me he will lose all credibility as “indigenous‘‘ since ALL “indegious” WILL recognize “indigenous” deep down.

“Indigeousness” is not about the “form practices” as such, but “whites” are easily fooled as they think it is all about the “form’.
Some so called “Amerinds” only know ‘Amerind’ conceptually, (and not within) I have since found out.

That's all way above my paygrade.
I am just a guy paying off some karma or making good after starting out on a path of destruction (burn and pillage) and turning it around with the help of others.
Might have some of that Viking like DNA in my mind..LOL
Old 24-12-2021, 05:52 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
As a part Saami, I absolutely LOVE these long-lost relatives, the Berbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3aJVPt4WA0
@ 1:41 to 2:42

I remember this vid.
Good stuff.
I remember checking out some vids. on Berbers also.
Old 24-12-2021, 09:29 PM
Master
Nice story about the “Root and the Rock”, thanks for sharing!
The Canadian border guard must have thought so too, so the “Root and Rock” got imprinted in his brain.

What got imprinted in my brain, was a painting by a Berber artist I met long ago in Copenhagen.
It wasn’t a mere painting to look at; - it was a time-stopping experience, so I can still picture that painting vividly in my mind.
The Berber painter looked like the piano player of my present signature. A piano piece that also made me stop and listen and oooooh and ahhhh …. love it!
Wished he would have done or do a piece with “The Tribe Called Red” as well. That would be something ….

And as Berbers come in many hues from white to dark, I imagine them not having the psychological colour boundary. It hurts when that boundary is felt.
Though personally, since I am always mistaken for a German, the colour boundary isn’t there.
And with the indigenous, it isn’t there usually either, or there is the question: ”How come you look white, but are not?” Or there has been the instant sorting about belonging: “You don’t belong to them” (whites). (Since Australia is so black and white.)
So, it is with the indigenous that I do not feel ‘invisible’ like I always otherwise do.

From 'Science Direct':
Quote:
The sequencing of entire human mitochondrial DNAs belonging to haplogroup U reveals that this clade arose shortly after the “out of Africa” exit and rapidly radiated into numerous regionally distinct subclades.
Intriguingly, the Saami of Scandinavia and the Berbers of North Africa were found to share an extremely young branch, aged merely ∼9,000 years. This unexpected finding not only confirms that the Franco-Cantabrian refuge area of southwestern Europe was the source of late-glacial expansions of hunter-gatherers that repopulated northern Europe after the Last Glacial Maximum but also reveals a direct maternal link between those European hunter-gatherer populations and the Berbers.

There is something to this connection.

Old 24-12-2021, 11:12 PM
Master
Quote:

Might have some of that Viking like DNA in my mind..LOL
I think there is something to that connection