Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 31-05-2011, 04:22 PM
astroboy

Gayatri Mantra and Christianity

One of my favorite rituals is listening to an audio of The Gayatri Mantra. I love to hear it, but also to feel the message entering my heart. Would it be against Christianity to recite this mantra? I have found it to be very universal and nothing in the mantra goes against other religions. It is merely asking the Beloved for Guidance to live in a way that we are made aware of Supreme Reality.

Are there mantras like this in Christianity also? If so, I would love to hear about them.

Thank you!!
Old 31-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Time

LOng story short, it doesnt matter. If it feels right for you, then do it. It wont cause harm to anyone ( unless your family is hardcore catholic or christian), but its YOUR life, that is made by YOUR choices, god or not.

IF it feels that good, i dont see anything wrong with it,

Id say god would be more happy that you are happy and loving, then worrying about stipulations
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Master
so right time, so right.
Jesus would love you to be enhanced by the gayatri mantra.
As for how chrisitianity the religion sees it, I am unsure.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Time

Thats the problem I think, i know many christians that would agree with me. But there are many that would say you are a sinner, taken over by satan, which is a horrible thing to say about something that obviously creates alot of joy and happiness for you.

So i stick with my original post :P
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM
astroboy

Here's a good explanation of the Gayatri Mantra
http://wahiduddin.net/mantra/gayatri.htm
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
supernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
One of my favorite rituals is listening to an audio of The Gayatri Mantra. I love to hear it, but also to feel the message entering my heart. Would it be against Christianity to recite this mantra? I have found it to be very universal and nothing in the mantra goes against other religions. It is merely asking the Beloved for Guidance to live in a way that we are made aware of Supreme Reality.

Are there mantras like this in Christianity also? If so, I would love to hear about them.

Thank you!!

Faith is a personal domain not a social or political good. If we try to own a faith and try to politicize it we become a fanatic and the faith becomes infected. I feel comfortable with all religious people.I can feel comfortable with Muslims in their mosques and I pray in togetherness. I do no care whether the God I am praying is Hindu or Muslim or Buddhist or Christian. I do not think God is any of these – Hindu, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim. God if there is one free and alert.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
Here's a good explanation of the Gayatri Mantra
http://wahiduddin.net/mantra/gayatri.htm

We meditate on the glory of the Creator;
Who has created the Universe;
Who is worthy of Worship;
Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light;
Who is the remover of all Sin and Ignorance;
May He enlighten our Intellect.

Reading this verse on the linked page I think that this could have come straight out of the Bible or might have been written by a Christian monk or nun.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
We meditate on the glory of the Creator;
Who has created the Universe;
Who is worthy of Worship;
Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light;
Who is the remover of all Sin and Ignorance;
May He enlighten our Intellect.

Reading this verse on the linked page I think that this could have come straight out of the Bible or might have been written by a Christian monk or nun.

Most educated Christians would mark it off as primarily gnostic in origin. The Bible talks less about intellectual "knowledge" of God and more about bowing to the Sovereign Lord of Creation in humility and brokenness.
Old 19-09-2014, 11:39 AM
lordsiva

Aum Bhur Bhuva Swaha,
Tat Savitur Varenyam,
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi,
Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat.

MEANING:
"O, Supreme Lord, The Source Of Existence, Intelligence And Bliss, The Creator Of the Universe. May We Prove Worthy Of Thy Choice And Acceptance; May We Meet Thy Glorious Grace. We Meditate On Thy Transcendental Light. Please Illuminate Our Intellect And Lead Us Unto Righteousness".
Old 20-09-2014, 04:58 PM
samsara4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsiva
Aum Bhur Bhuva Swaha,
Tat Savitur Varenyam,
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi,
Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat.

MEANING:
"O, Supreme Lord, The Source Of Existence, Intelligence And Bliss, The Creator Of the Universe. May We Prove Worthy Of Thy Choice And Acceptance; May We Meet Thy Glorious Grace. We Meditate On Thy Transcendental Light. Please Illuminate Our Intellect And Lead Us Unto Righteousness".

Earth sky heaven THAT
Of the awesome divinity
Effulgence of the Divine
We meditate on this truth
Which inspires our meditation.

The Gayatri Mantra is an awesome reminder of the true nature of the Totality.